Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone rented from Advantage?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Has anyone rented from Advantage?

I am thinking of going with Advantage for a week rental out of SLC or DEN. I want to tour around the West and they have the best rates by far on SUVs (actually on all cars). We are talking about hundreds of dollars cheaper! Is this a case of if it is too good to be true. . .? I am interested in experiences from recent renters of Advantage.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: AA, DL
I just booked a car with them in ABQ. They were $150 cheaper then the next cheapest. I am nervous as I made a reservation and they don't have my cc number. I haven't rented a car in awhile but I always though they hold your cc number for the reservation thus I am quite nervous!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by remphish1
I just booked a car with them in ABQ. They were $150 cheaper then the next cheapest. I am nervous as I made a reservation and they don't have my cc number. I haven't rented a car in awhile but I always though they hold your cc number for the reservation thus I am quite nervous!
Enterprise doesn't hold your CC number and I've never had a problem with them not having my reservation.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:11 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Advantage is now owned by a subsidiary of Hertz. Only a couple franchisee locations remain - the rest are corporate owned. See this thread for some insight: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ack-email.html
Old Sep 19, 2009, 9:33 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I rented from Advantage in LAX this week.

Their shuttle took longer than any other company's to come by Terminal 1. In fact, I usually rent with Dollar and I saw FIVE Dollar busses go by in the time I was waiting.

The rental facility was located pretty far from all the other ones and was next to a defunct Hyundai delearship, very weird seeing an empty dealership parking lot next to a bunch of parked cars

Not having any Rewards program was annoying as I was in line 20 minutes.

Service was good if not very attentive.

I'd booked a full size SUV and got a Ford Explorer which wasn't bad.

Return process was easy.

Overall it was a fine experience, about what I'm used to with Dollar, I just don't get my AA miles this time.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Rented at MSY, which is a new facility for them, on 9/25 and willl return car on 9/28.

Price was 40% below all other companies at $40 a day. Ordered mid-size, got very clean Saturn Aura XR, 22K miles, fully equipped including full expanded XM and power everything.

The staff was very nice, helpful and friendly. Waited about 3 min for pickup. They are only open 5AM to midnight which can be a problem for very ealy or late nioght flights. The facility is located on Airline Hwy, right across the street from NAtional/Alamo

I have another rental scheduled at MSY next week and National beat them out on price with weekend rates and discounts, so I'll do the EA for my last MSY rental of the year.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Returned that car at MSY today. Quick, pleasant, painless. No Enterprise type antics. They, checked the mileage, fuel, did a quick walk around, asked if everything was OK and the shuttle was waiting to take us to the terminal when I finished the credit card payment.

I will gladly use them again when they're the lowest price.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, Starwood, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
Doing the same tomorrow... Would have like to see you follow up with a report...

Originally Posted by remphish1
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:01 am

They're about half price the rest in MIA. Less tax because the shuttle takes you off-airport?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by st.exupery
They're about half price the rest in MIA. Less tax because the shuttle takes you off-airport?
Many rental lots are a bit off-airport. I suspect if the rental car shuttle picks you up at the airport, you are paying airport taxes regardless of where the lot is.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 9:11 am

$14 a day. Any MIA experiences appreciated.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
$17.05 a day for a compact at LAX in 2 weeks. Yes, there is a $10 airport tax, even though they are off the premises. Still, beat Avis by 66%. I'll report back with results.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, Starwood, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
Update to my last post

Advantage was great in ABQ, used it to get to Santa Fe.

I usually use reward programs of the normal car rental companies, but these guys have great prices when you are in a market with high prices.

I don't worry about reward program I only use them around a ski resort or when a couple of big conferences are in town that I am going to, ect.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Just finished a 1 month+1 week full size rental at Advantage LAX. Rate was great ($888 total) for the Altima. Mileage a bit high (40k+), but car was easy to drive. No line picking car up or returning car.

Upon return, the agent commented they had just been renting out similar cars at $100+ per day a few days ago.

Overall, good experience. Price was excellent. Would definitely use them again.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had to get a rental on short-notice week of July 26 at LAX and rentals were sky-high, close to $ 100/day indeed. Ended up getting a $65 rate thru Hotwire for a compact from Enterprise.

Got several rentals from LAX and was always served well, including in April a Mazda5 on a standard size rental, which worked out great for 4 people with luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.