Wiki Posts
Search

Found: Good service and discounts in Hawaii and the Mainland

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Silver, Marriott-Life Plat, IHG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Found: Good service and discounts in Hawaii and the Mainland

I was in Hawaii this summer and needed two rental car reservations. I have never had consistent luck finding discount codes for rentals, and I find the loyalty programs with rental car companies is arcane, even compared to airlines. Anyway, I stumbled on this site "Car Rental Hawaii". I filled out the online forms and quickly received an e-mail quoting prices as much as $100 less than the best I had found. Miriam at NKT Travel made my reservations and both my rentals went perfectly. I was so pleased with this no-charge discount I asked if she could also make reservations on the mainland, and she could! I got my next rental at Alamo in Detroit with a package deal including CDW insurance and a free tank of gas for less than anything I could find for a basic rental. So far the experience has been very positive; I don't have to worry about corporate codes and discounts, and I get a good price. I guess NKT travel is getting a commission for the reservations, but to me it's just a good price. I liked it so much I asked them to make my next two mainland reservations, and got great rates, again with insurance and a tank of gas included.

The only downsides I can find are that the desk agent will probably not be too happy with the low price because it reduces their commission, and you may not get points/rental credits. I am not going to pay $100 more to make an agent happy, and I have given up on rental car loyalty, so the last doesn't matter to me.

So, even though this looks like an advertisement, I am not getting anything from this post. I just wanted to share, and help the community find some good deals on rental cars, which can be hard to come by.

TL;DR: Good rental car prices nation-wide from Car Rental Hawaii

Last edited by milesrunner; Sep 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm Reason: added Mainland to Title
Old Sep 29, 2012, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Silver, Marriott-Life Plat, IHG-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Trip Report:

I just got back from a great vacation week in Tahoe, and had another good experience with Alamo and Car Rental Hawaii. The Alamo agent at RNO offered me a choice of a Nissan Rogue or a Jeep Liberty. I chose the slightly larger Liberty and found that it was a fairly well equipped 4X4 with plenty of room for luggage.

The deal I got seems to be the standard weekly rate of $269 for a mid-size SUV including all insurance and a free tank of gas (in NV/CA the gas was well over $4/gal). This saved me having to fill up on the way to an early flight.

Has anybody else tried Car Rental Hawaii for a mainland rental? Just e-mail Miriam at [email protected].

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.