Wiki Posts
Search

Booking a prepaid rental for 7 days, returning after 5

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2011, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Booking a prepaid rental for 7 days, returning after 5

Evening all. I know there has been some discussion again about so called "hidden city pairs" on airlines lately, both here on FT and in the press. But I have a question about a more common loophole with hire cars...

I'm a UK based traveler, pricing up some travels to Jordan in the Middle East. We only need a rental car for five days, but rentals lasting seven days come in up to £50 cheaper in our class of vehicle.

So if book and prepay for a seven day rental, and return the car a few days early (feigning some excuse or another for having to return early) am I likely to face additional charges at the rental counter?

At the moment I'm looking at brokers and rental companies direct, but am leaning towards Europcar at AMM (Amman Queen Alia Int'l Airport).

Thanks

James
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:05 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
I know the answer to a similar question, so maybe by posting it'll stir up interest to answer your actual question.

In the US, if you have a pre-paid third party website rate, this is possible. Specifically, using hotwire, you can play with different rental lengths, look for the duration that gives the best price break, and return the car early with no penalty.

This typically does not work with rates booked directly.

(Hopefully you'll now get an answer more relevant to your specific question.)
Old Jun 30, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Thanks for the info MDtR-Chicago. I do occasionally rent in the USA as well, so I'll remember to book indirectly.

Since posting the original question, I've discovered a local firm that significantly undercuts the international chains (and is recommend by at least one guidebook) so I expect to go with them. They will also be cheaper for one-way fees, as we'll need to collect the vehicle from a Dead Sea resort and return to AMM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.