Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alamo SUV - Standard versus Full-Size?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Alamo SUV - Standard versus Full-Size?

Does anyone have a list of SUV's in Alamo's fleet?

I need a solid 4WD SUV with winter tires to cut through the Canadian Rockies over the Christmas holidays and have reserved both a Standard and Full-Sized SUV through Alamo at the Calgary Int'l Airport. I wanted to be safe and keep both options open since I pulled in a good rate for the week.

Standard SUV indicates Jeep Grand Cherokee or similar on the reservations page, but I'm wondering what the "similar" refers to? I don't want to end up with some cheap lightweight Kia Sportage or a low stance hybrid. We'll be driving on icy high mountain roads (with risk of avalanche, wildlife, etc) and I want to make sure we end up with a sturdy and reliable vehicle. I don't need a huge GM truck either though; a Premium SUV would be ideal although I don't think Alamo carries any in their fleet.

So what should I expect from both classes? I don't mind paying the extra $$ for a full-sized over a standard SUV but if the only advantage is added space (ie. a larger vehicle) then that really doesn't help. I will be travelling alone with my wife, 2 pieces of luggage, and our ski gear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 12, 2013, 8:09 am

SUVs

The SUVs vary by location, but as a regular Alamo customer (probably will do about 100 days this year) I can give you some feedback:

1/ If you rent a mid-size generally (subject to supply) they'll let you take a full size at no extra cost. I simply go to a full size SUV and take it over and drive it out. In around 20 times they never really bother and I heard that from an insider. Of course the agent will try to sell you an upgrade if you ask at checkin. But the person looking for cars may let you get away with it - a $10 or $20 works a wonder.

2/ Mid Size SUVs - in order of avails:

Nissan Rogue
Ford Escape
The basic model jeeps and the model just up from that
The smaller Hyundais
The base model Chevy
If there is a smaller size KIA SUV?
VW Tiguan

3/ Full Size SUVs - in order of avails:

The larger KIA SUV
The full size Jeep (sometimes have gotten the fancy one with leather seats)
VW Touareg
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for that!

I wonder if it's at all dependant on location then because Alamo cites a Chevy Tahoe for full-sized which is significantly larger and heavier set than any of the vehicles you've listed. This is in Calgary btw, where extreme weather conditions (snow, ice, etc) are not uncommon in winter months. I would be very upset if they tried to pass of the Kia as a full-sized SUV. For the record, the Grand Cherokee is listed as an example of a standard sized.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:02 pm

Just rented a "full-size SUV" (FFAR) class from Alamo at SFO. They gave me the keys rather than let me choose, possibly because I was one-waying it to DEN. But I didn't see any others in the class anyway. It was a black Chevy Tahoe (which is the specimen vehicle for the class), with leather (or some facsimile thereof), moonroof and rear DVD system. But it wasn't 4WD. It had done 10,000mi (and I put another 2500mi on it).
I'm pretty sure the "full-size SUV" has to be 7-seat, so you might get something a little smaller than a Tahoe, but not a Sportage or whatever. I'm pretty sure the Grand Cherokee is the specimen for the "standard SUV" (or at least was when I booked), and the Escape for the "midsize SUV".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.