Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

A peak on Philippine Airlines' refurbished 747 interior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 2:15 am
formerly jasperjugan
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member

http://www.philippineairlines.com/pr...tual_cabin.jsp

PR refurbished both business and economy class! yay!
Old May 10, 2009, 11:03 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Looks pretty nice actually. Have they finished this refurb?
Old May 10, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: CX DM, PR PE, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I believe they are done with 2 of their 747's (out of 5)
Old May 10, 2009, 7:51 pm
formerly jasperjugan
Original Poster

Programs: DL SkyMiles Gold Medallion, Marriott Rewards Gold Elite, A|Club Gold, PR Mabuhay Miles Base Member
yeah, i believe their not done with refurbishing all the 747s yet
Old May 10, 2009, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
They're working on the 747s. The A340s are supposed to be refurbished although it may be deferred due to PAL's sagging finances (we can blame the fuel hedges). I hope they refurbish the A330s too.
Old May 10, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
It does look nice though the upgrade is going very slowly. Does anyone know when the next one goes in the shop?
Old May 10, 2009, 8:43 pm
formerly jasperjugan
Original Poster

the refurbishing program must have stopped/slowed down because of this new "edge" on Mabuhay Class http://www.philippineairlines.com/ne...s_new_edge.jsp
Old May 10, 2009, 9:21 pm

It's a stopgap measure for non-refurbished aircraft until those get refurbished as well. There seems to be no indication from that particular press release that PAL is slowing down its cabin refurbishing. The same cabin on refurbished 747s will also appear on PAL's 777-300ERs, so the more the A330s and A340s have to be refurbished in order to provide a coherent product.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: OnePass, Royal Orchid Plus, Mabuhay Miles
They do have a very inconsistent product right now & this "Edge" program gives preference to old F seats to those who have paid the most money. It's a good move. I'd be really upset to get one of the old C seats when the flight the day before or day after may get the new ones.

I believe that the remaining 744s are due for D checks so the upgrades won't be postponed for long if at all.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:47 am

A more detailed description of the 744 refurbished cabin

Mabuhay Business Class

The focal point of the new Mabuhay Class cabin is the luxurious “cocoon” seats supplied by Recaro of Germany. The new seat has a fixed privacy shell that enables the passenger to enjoy utmost privacy while an ergonomic design transforms it into lie-flat bed. The new seats have a generous pitch of 58 - 60 inches.

The seats are adjustable to a variety of the positions at the passenger’s option. Each seat is equipped with its own programmable position controls with memory, individual directional LED reading light, oversized tray table and bottle holder.

Mabuhay Class seats are outfitted in plush, deep-blue upholstery accented with touches of silvery-copper threads that simulate reflections of light on water.

Inflight Entertainment System

The entire cabin on the reconfigured aircraft is equipped with Thales’ i5000 IFE System, a fully digital inflight entertainment system that enables both Mabuhay and Fiesta Class passengers to choose from a full library of video and audio content.

Each seat is outfitted with personal TV with AVOD (Audio Video on Demand) feature that will enable passengers to start, pause, rewind, and fast-forward any of the video programs at any time using the touch-screen controls or the passenger control units.

The AVOD system gives passengers a wide range of digital on-demand entertainment options – they can individually select from a variety of digital games and entertainment programs anytime.

The selections includes 18 of the latest Hollywood movies, a Filipino film, 8 popular TV programs, 12 radio channels and a selection of CD albums.

Each passenger can also create his own audio playlist from the collection of CD albums. On-screen instructions are available in English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Mabuhay Class cabin is equipped with 15.4-inch seatback-mounted monitors and 10.6-inch in-arm monitors.

----

Fiesta Economy Class

Fiesta Class passengers will likewise benefit from the technology – their new seats, also from Recaro, are ergonomically designed, with new-generation, thinner seatbacks. These provide bigger “living” space and enhance passengers’ comfort. The new seats has a very generous pitch of 32 - 34 inches.

The Fiesta Class seats feature the undulating wave-pattern design in a blue, aqua and terracotta palette.

The relaxed, tropical feel extends to the front and back ends of the cabin where interiors, curtains, carpets and surfaces are in various shades of blue, white, gray, silver and tan.

Inflight Entertainment System

The entire cabin on the reconfigured aircraft is equipped with Thales’ i5000 IFE System, a fully digital inflight entertainment system that enables both Mabuhay and Fiesta Class passengers to choose from a full library of video and audio content.

Each seat is outfitted with personal TV with AVOD (Audio Video on Demand) feature that will enable passengers to start, pause, rewind, and fast-forward any of the video programs at any time using the touch-screen controls or the passenger control units.

The AVOD system gives passengers a wide range of digital on-demand entertainment options – they can individually select from a variety of digital games and entertainment programs anytime.

The selections includes 18 of the latest Hollywood movies, a Filipino film, 8 popular TV programs, 12 radio channels and a selection of CD albums.

Each passenger can also create his own audio playlist from the collection of CD albums. On-screen instructions are available in English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean.

Fiesta Class cabin is equipped with 9-inch seatback-mounted monitors and in-arm monitors.
Old May 11, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by terminalc
They do have a very inconsistent product right now & this "Edge" program gives preference to old F seats to those who have paid the most money. It's a good move. I'd be really upset to get one of the old C seats when the flight the day before or day after may get the new ones.

I believe that the remaining 744s are due for D checks so the upgrades won't be postponed for long if at all.
I'm hoping that PAL doesn't lose too much money to fuel hedging and increased operational costs so that all its long-haul aircraft can be suitably refurbished.

Another thing that I'm hoping for, though: IFE on A319 and A320 Fiesta Class seats.
Old May 11, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by jasperjugan
the refurbishing program must have stopped/slowed down because of this new "edge" on Mabuhay Class http://www.philippineairlines.com/ne...s_new_edge.jsp

Looking at this, it seems to suggest that LAX/MNL, at least, is now all new Config,

Is that correct???
Old May 11, 2009, 11:07 am

There will be some days where SFO and LAX will get the refurbished 744s, while other times they won't. Since the 744s are used systemwide, high-density regional (MNL-HKG, MNL-NRT) and domestic (MNL-CEB, MNL-DVO) routes may also get the refurbished aircraft.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:24 pm
formerly jasperjugan
Original Poster

yeah, it depends as they rotate the use of their aircrafts so finding yourself in one of the refurbished is like going through a raffle draw. lol
Old May 12, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by terminalc

The old F seats really weren't that bad. I wouldn't be too happy to get an old C seat on a long haul, but would be content in the old F cabin. The new C seats look pretty nice, much better than many better airlines are currently using.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.