Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern Business Class?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

China Eastern Business Class?

I am considering using Delta Skymiles for a trip to Singapore from Atlanta in Business Class. Delta has found flights connecting ATL-JFK-PVG-SIN and returning same route for the dates I want. Schedule currently shows A340-600 in JFK-PVG. Can anyone give any insight as what can expect in Business Class for this segment? I am mainly interested in comments on seat comfort for this long flight, but any info at all is greatly aprreciated?

Other option I have found is Air France through CDG on 777, but requires 12 hr layover outbound and can't get exact dates I want for return.

Thank you.

Last edited by johnkel1; Mar 17, 2011 at 4:41 pm
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by johnkel1
I am considering using Delta Skymiles for a trip to Singapore from Atlanta in Business Class. Delta has found flights connecting ATL-JFK-PVG-SIN and returning same route for the dates I want. Schedule currently shows A340-600 in JFK-PVG. Can anyone give any insight as what can expect in Business Class for this segment? I am mainly interested in comments on seat comfort for this long flight, but any info at all is greatly aprreciated?

Other option I have found is Air France through CDG on 777, but requires 12 hr layover outbound and can't get exact dates I want for return.

Thank you.
MU business class is okay (good seats and in-flight service, tolerable food, bad ground ops), but that double connection looks rather unpleasant to me. Whatever route you go, I would advise you to create a longer stopover in Shanghai or Paris (CDG is arguably even worse than PVG for transit passengers), if possible.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Doesn't the AF route via CDG require significantly more mileage, since it's charged as two awards?

Be aware that if the ATL-JFK is driving up the mileage required past 120k, you could drop it, buy a ticket for the domestic piece instead, and get the long-hauls on MU for 120k miles. That's what I'm doing for my Christmas-New Year's trip.

I haven't flown my trip yet, so can't comment on the seats/service, though pics of the A346 on airliners.net look decent. For SIN-PVG, though, I've got an A300 on clunky recliner seats for a painfully short redeye of barely 5 hours in the air. That's the only part of the trip I'm dreading. Hoping for an a/c change to the A330.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

After considering the MU option some more, I am agreeing with Megatoplover, that the double connection & last leg of the flight would be murder. And the long layovers required in PVG (5+ hrs) are not appealing at all. On the DL/MU flights I would had been able to get Bus Class for 182,500 miles, which I could deal with, so if you found 120k, that is great for you. The ATL-CDG-SIN-CDG-ATL was going to be 220K in Affaire Class.

I had already booked DL through NRT for 240K. The flight time, comfort and fewer connections are very appealing, but I am concerned about the situation in Japan. I have come to the conclusion I am just going to "wait & see" with what happens in Japan. If they get worse, I'll try to book the AF option later in the year (this trip is for Dec). Hopefully situation in Japan will improve and we can take the DL flights ATL-NRT-SIN.

Again, thank you both for your posts.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:09 pm

I have come to the conclusion I am just going to "wait & see" with what happens in Japan. If they get worse, I'll try to book the AF option later in the year (this trip is for Dec). Hopefully situation in Japan will improve and we can take the DL flights ATL-NRT-SIN.
Why not lock in the Japan option now while the flights are actually available at the low level?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
After considering the MU option some more, I am agreeing with Megatoplover, that the double connection & last leg of the flight would be murder. And the long layovers required in PVG (5+ hrs) are not appealing at all. On the DL/MU flights I would had been able to get Bus Class for 182,500 miles, which I could deal with, so if you found 120k, that is great for you. The ATL-CDG-SIN-CDG-ATL was going to be 220K in Affaire Class.

I had already booked DL through NRT for 240K. The flight time, comfort and fewer connections are very appealing, but I am concerned about the situation in Japan. I have come to the conclusion I am just going to "wait & see" with what happens in Japan. If they get worse, I'll try to book the AF option later in the year (this trip is for Dec). Hopefully situation in Japan will improve and we can take the DL flights ATL-NRT-SIN.

Again, thank you both for your posts.
If you drop the ATL-JFK flights, you should get 120k for the MU flights JFK-PVG-SIN-vv. Just buy local tix to JFK, as they shouldn't be too expensive, you'll earn mileage, and you'll have a good shot at an upgrade on that route.

240k is twice what I'd be willing to pay for ATL-SIN. I'd suck up the long layover at PVG for that. PVG is quite a nice airport, and you can always take the MagLev from the airport to eastern Shanghai just for fun.

I doubt redemption levels for December will come down because of the current situation in Japan. But I'm more than willing to stand corrected. If you're going to NRT right now, you might be able to get it for 120k in Business, as loads are reportedly low inbound to Japan. Outbound is another story.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 11:21 am

I had already booked DL through NRT for 240K.
As long as you are willing to throw a few drinks towards the FTers that help you, we will try our best to ensure that you don't shell out 240k miles for the trip in question. At this point, you should start to contemplate CC trades. While your DL miles are less valuable than almost all other miles (1:1 trades won't happen), many FTers have large balances in other programs, and have the ability to hook you up.

Also, consider buying US miles directly from US, and using their toolbar. Since you can put your flights on hold for 72 hours (before buying the miles), this is a zero risk strategy. The current promo (which isn't really advertised) expires on March 31.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I am intrigued by the "CC trades." I've been a member for FT for quite some time, but haven't ever thought about a trade. Can you please give me additional details on how this would work? If there was a way to get these Bus Class tickets for a more reasonable mileage requirement than 240k each (there are two of us), I'd love to hear about it. And I would DEFINITELY be willing to pony up a few drinks

Thank you.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
For SIN-PVG, though, I've got an A300 on clunky recliner seats for a painfully short redeye of barely 5 hours in the air. That's the only part of the trip I'm dreading. Hoping for an a/c change to the A330.
From 27MAR11, Boeing 767-300ER replaces Airbus A300-600R on this route.

http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/21/mu-sin-s11/
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:13 pm

I am intrigued by the "CC trades." I've been a member for FT for quite some time, but haven't ever thought about a trade. Can you please give me additional details on how this would work? If there was a way to get these Bus Class tickets for a more reasonable mileage requirement than 240k each (there are two of us), I'd love to hear about it. And I would DEFINITELY be willing to pony up a few drinks

Thank you.
Since you only have 7 posts, chances are you aren't able to view the Coupon Connection... though maybe you can since you've been a member for 4 years.

Generally, trades work like this:
-someone books ticket(s) for you with his points
-you book ticket(s) for him with your points
-if the airline/hotel asks, all tickets were gifts

In rare cases, points are transfered from one account to another, but this is usually cost prohibitive. Hence, a certain amount of trust is required when entering into transactions of this nature. Assuming your offline circle of friends includes business travelers (or credit card junkies), chances are you can trade with them also.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by STelite
From 27MAR11, Boeing 767-300ER replaces Airbus A300-600R on this route.

http://airlineroute.net/2011/03/21/mu-sin-s11/
How are the seats on the 763 compared to the AB6?

As of now, the schedule for PVG-SIN in December/January is still showing AB6.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
wrong post

Last edited by STelite; Apr 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm Reason: wrong post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.