Wiki Posts
Search

VietJet DAD-HAN

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

VietJet DAD-HAN

has anyone flown them,I can get a tkt for $30 but Im afraid that doesnt include the cost for a rollerboard carry-on or a checked bag and would like to know what they charge for each of those bags

are there any reasons to avoid flying with them?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by craz
has anyone flown them,I can get a tkt for $30 but Im afraid that doesnt include the cost for a rollerboard carry-on or a checked bag and would like to know what they charge for each of those bags

You might find their checked luggage price very costly at the airport. If possible, better to buy and add checked luggage option before you reach the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:12 am

I've flown with them a couple of times, most recently in October last year. They are your standard low cost carrier, nothing special and nothing great. If memory serves me correctly, you can pay for the checked baggage ahead of time online. You can find the price on their website.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

thx guys, I ended up doing a dummy res so I was finally able to see bag pricing, its not bad it defaults to 20Kg what if I end up with the bag weighing more will they kill me at the airport for the overage? i know paying now for the extra weight isnt much but Im not sure what it will weigh and also dont want to end up paying for say 25 or 30 kg when I end up with 20

Do they weigh your carry-on as well? if they do then I will have to buy alot more weight for my checked bag. Ran into that in Oslo on OS where rent a crew wouldnt let me take my carry-on since it was 2x allowed weight, he was all smiles when he presented me me the outrageous bill to check my carry-on, I simply smiled wider then he did as I informed him as a *G Im entitled to 2 checked bags w/o paying

This will be my 1st time on a real LCC and no status flight to boot, my HKG-DAD & HAN-HKG will be on CX so my AA Plat status gets me free bags
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty sure there's a decent amount of discussion about VietJet in this forum. The consensus seemed to be that they change schedules frequently and can be unreliable.

We just flew Vietnam Airlines from DAD-HAN, it was like $100 in business class, and we didn't have to worry about luggage, check-in lines, security lines, etc. I think that was a flexible fare also. And we got DL miles.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:15 pm

will they kill me at the airport for the overage?
Yes.
i know paying now for the extra weight isnt much but Im not sure what it will weigh and also dont want to end up paying for say 25 or 30 kg when I end up with 20
Better to overpay in advance for checked luggage allowance than slapped like $50 per kg overweight.

Do they weigh your carry-on as well?
Yes. Had three flights with them and in all times carry on was weighted.

I informed him as a *G Im entitled to 2 checked bags w/o paying
Forget about *G. At is ULCC. Fees are their bread and butter and they will make sure that get 100% of that.

This will be my 1st time on a real LCC
You also probably know that you have to pay even for 1 cup of ordinary water onboard.

Last edited by invisible; Jul 17, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Pretty sure there's a decent amount of discussion about VietJet in this forum. The consensus seemed to be that they change schedules frequently and can be unreliable.

We just flew Vietnam Airlines from DAD-HAN, it was like $100 in business class, and we didn't have to worry about luggage, check-in lines, security lines, etc. I think that was a flexible fare also. And we got DL miles.
for my date Biz reg is $106 (2,4m) Biz Flex is $123 (2.8m) coach cheapest is $77 but only 20kg bag, so Vietjet would be cheaper even if I pay for extra weight have to read up on how bad they are but $30 Coach isnt bad. Might do as you did and simply go Biz and with 30kg not have to deal with excess weight
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:08 pm

why not just buy an economy ticket on VN then buy the extra 5kg of luggage which is only about 4 or 5 USD?? Still a dirt cheap ticket on a decent airline.
Vietjet is okay but can have heavy delays.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firemansam
why not just buy an economy ticket on VN then buy the extra 5kg of luggage which is only about 4 or 5 USD?? Still a dirt cheap ticket on a decent airline.
I agree its dirt cheap and I agree just pay up a couple of bucks to be sure about the checked bag, no problem with me

However heavy delays is something I just dont want to deal with especially if I end up on an evening flight to HAN as right now my plans are Fri and the following Tues will be HAN time , looking to hit HaLongBay Sun-Mon. And Sat is down time for me and will be in WestLake

I havent read up yet on VietJet and once I do in the next day or two I will decide which way to go, also I have a stash of TY pts that can pay for my flight, dont know which carriers they will offer if any
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:53 am

However heavy delays is something I just dont want to deal
This is Vietnam and completely outside of your control. To have expectations right, you should expect that delays WILL happen, rather than otherwise.

Locals told me following rules for air travel within Vietnam:

- If you want to go with the most reliable carrier, choose VN
- Do not book first or last flight on that day - they are canceled/moved more often.
- Unless you have no other choice, do not book JetStar
- Expect that delays will happen.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Firemansam
This.

When I flew HAN-DAD-HAN in April, I started by looking at Vietjet. Then, when I decided to check the VN website, it actually turned out to be less expensive than flying on Vietjet.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We just returned from Vietnam last week. We chose VJ primarily because they offer direct flights to SGN from our home airport (TNN). We took the following routes: TNN-SGN, SGN-DAD, DAD-HPH, HAN-SGN, SGN-TNN. Every single flight was both rescheduled multiple times AND delayed at the airport. Seems like every couple days after I booked the tickets, I received an email from them announcing the revised departure time for one of my flights.

We like to travel light, so we did two weeks in Vietnam with only a small backpack (<7kg) for each of us. Yes, they WILL weigh your carry-on at check-in. I cheated a little by putting my small, heavy items (camera, mobile charger, small liquids, etc) in a fanny pack, which they did not weigh. And they did not weigh my wife's purse, so she also carried a few dense items in it.

Definitely pay for your checked luggage in advance to get a discounted price.

Do not order their in-flight meals. Not very palatable.

If they change your flight to a time that doesn't work for you, you can call them and try to switch to a different flight with no charges (if there are seats available). We did this for one of our flights that got moved to 3 hours later than originally booked.

Overall, our experience with VJ wasn't terrible. But just be prepared for changes and delays, and keep your schedule flexible. Otherwise, book a different carrier.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skyman65
We just returned from Vietnam last week. We chose VJ primarily because they offer direct flights to SGN from our home airport (TNN). We took the following routes: TNN-SGN, SGN-DAD, DAD-HPH, HAN-SGN, SGN-TNN. Every single flight was both rescheduled multiple times AND delayed at the airport. Seems like every couple days after I booked the tickets, I received an email from them announcing the revised departure time for one of my flights.

We like to travel light, so we did two weeks in Vietnam with only a small backpack (<7kg) for each of us. Yes, they WILL weigh your carry-on at check-in. I cheated a little by putting my small, heavy items (camera, mobile charger, small liquids, etc) in a fanny pack, which they did not weigh. And they did not weigh my wife's purse, so she also carried a few dense items in it.

Definitely pay for your checked luggage in advance to get a discounted price.

Do not order their in-flight meals. Not very palatable.

If they change your flight to a time that doesn't work for you, you can call them and try to switch to a different flight with no charges (if there are seats available). We did this for one of our flights that got moved to 3 hours later than originally booked.

Overall, our experience with VJ wasn't terrible. But just be prepared for changes and delays, and keep your schedule flexible. Otherwise, book a different carrier.
Whoa! Didnt realize VJ was that bad sounds alike like Spirit over here,m flew them once and that was 1 time too many, only good thing was it was only a 1 way tkt.

I still think for the traveler who doesnt mind all problems you mentioned its a dirt cheap way to get around. If for a few bucks more I can fly VietnamAirlines which doesnt get hit as bad it just might be worth the few extra bucks. I checked out using my TY pts but they want a boat load of pts as they arent offering the $77 Coach tkt like the carrier but a $153 fare like most OTAs

Hopefully will have some time over the next couple of days to research it all and get the tkt before the ElCheapos are spoken for

THX everyone, now does anyone have any advice for 1- getting to HUE(vity) from DAD and 2- a hotel (no dives) near The Imperial City walkable
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:00 am

now does anyone have any advice for 1- getting to HUE(vity) from DAD
If you have plenty of time - you can book a ticket on a train which is described as one of the best train rides. Check Seat61 for this.

If time is short - car but no views and nothing spectacular. Will run into about $50 one way.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 8:39 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
If you have plenty of time - you can book a ticket on a train which is described as one of the best train rides. Check Seat61 for this.

If time is short - car but no views and nothing spectacular. Will run into about $50 one way.
Thx ^ will definitely look into it further. a quick glance showed thers a 9:25am train but I arrive @ 9am the next train is 12:46pm dont think I want to wait around and blow 4 hrs. If anything Im toying with taking the train to DAD since I will have more time to play with, with a late flight out

Update:

Looks like the train will probably be out, as well as Vietjet, seems Vietnam Air has a 20:20 flight HUI-HAN , while VietJet has only 1 flight @ 14:20 way too early . So getting to HUI wont cost anything like getting back to DAD and taking that 20:20 flight gives me the a whole day in Hue, and isnt the last flight thats @ 22"05

Last edited by craz; Jul 19, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.