Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern - SkyTeam Partner with Delta.

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
China Eastern - SkyTeam Partner with Delta.

How does one actually book and find a seat. I find flights via Google Flights and no matter what I choose/do there is always a message "Not enough seats".

What gives?
Old May 24, 2016, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
How does one actually book and find a seat. I find flights via Google Flights and no matter what I choose/do there is always a message "Not enough seats".

What gives?
Thousands of channels sell MU tickets, including MU itself of course. Ctrip is typically my goto option.

With respect to seats, I usually get assignments during check-in (either at the airport or online).
Old May 24, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
sample dates and routes? I've never had issue in terms of booking.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Google Flights - https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...U717;a=SKYTEAM

Try to book direct from link and get error 'we are sorry there are no seats'. I can change to the entire month and every time no seats. Try to book through the website directly(not via link on google flights) and same deal.
Old May 24, 2016, 6:07 pm

Try to book direct from link and get error 'we are sorry there are no seats'. I can change to the entire month and every time no seats. Try to book through the website directly(not via link on google flights) and same deal.
Which link did you have trouble with? I tried the Orbitz link, and it seemed to work fine. Great fare by the way.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

booking through Orbitz - goes all the way to the confirm screen for $582
Old May 25, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

I can do that but booking through Orbitz is a 3rd party. Which means getting mileage credit becomes more beating around the bush on SkyTeam(Delta).

And if China Eastern is claiming 'no seats' one may assume you may run into an issue... plus we are a group looking to book. 3-5 people. So unassigned seats and waiting until the day of means 12-14 hours sitting randomly across the plane?
Old May 25, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
I can do that but booking through Orbitz is a 3rd party. Which means getting mileage credit becomes more beating around the bush on SkyTeam(Delta).

And if China Eastern is claiming 'no seats' one may assume you may run into an issue... plus we are a group looking to book. 3-5 people. So unassigned seats and waiting until the day of means 12-14 hours sitting randomly across the plane?
For a group booking I'd highly advise you contact a competent TA that specializes in China market. There are lots of these in every major US/Canadian city.

Keep in mind MU doesn't always release their absolute dirt cheap fares to TAs or GDS systems so it may be beneficial to call one of MU ticketing offices close to you as well.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by payam81
For a group booking I'd highly advise you contact a competent TA that specializes in China market. There are lots of these in every major US/Canadian city.

Keep in mind MU doesn't always release their absolute dirt cheap fares to TAs or GDS systems so it may be beneficial to call one of MU ticketing offices close to you as well.
Cool. Thank you.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:31 am

The thing is 98% (ok - tbh, I made that number up, but i've never seen $600-700ish flights on MU that was something other than Q for TPAC segment - which is 0 across the board (http://www.wheretocredit.com/china-eastern-airlines/q)) of the flights under $1k that you see on China Eastern are all non-accural fare codes (Q fare).

So keep that in mind.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222
The thing is 98% (ok - tbh, I made that number up, but i've never seen $600-700ish flights on MU that was something other than Q for TPAC segment - which is 0 across the board (http://www.wheretocredit.com/china-eastern-airlines/q)) of the flights under $1k that you see on China Eastern are all non-accural fare codes (Q fare).

So keep that in mind.
Nice catch. His prospective flights are, indeed, Q:

Chicago (CHI-All Airports)
To:
Tokyo, Japan (TYO-All Airports)
Fare Basis Code:
Q2PRUSS
The good news is:
-$580 is a great fare (assuming the long layovers in Shanghai are tolerable/desirable)
-the seat map is wide open (now that I've had a chance to dig a bit deeper into this, I'm pretty sure that the OP was attempting to book using the China Eastern US website, which is notoriously buggy)
Old May 26, 2016, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
But sometimes, they don't market Q fare in the intra-asia segment - so those segments do book into B fare - which earns 100% on DL.

Which is better than nothing, and it's sort of what Delta would have given you on a $500 fare anyways
Old May 26, 2016, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

But sometimes, they don't market Q fare in the intra-asia segment - so those segments do book into B fare - which earns 100% on DL.

Which is better than nothing, and it's sort of what Delta would have given you on a $500 fare anyways
Q isn't even listed on the Delta site - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...a-eastern.html

Everything is at least 100%...

I still ask. Why when I search on the MU website every search comes up 'sorry no seats'.
Old May 26, 2016, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog

The good news is:
-$580 is a great fare (assuming the long layovers in Shanghai are tolerable/desirable)
-the seat map is wide open (now that I've had a chance to dig a bit deeper into this, I'm pretty sure that the OP was attempting to book using the China Eastern US website, which is notoriously buggy)
Correct. Any workarounds? I'd like to figure it out and get it booked. I want the MQMs mostly but I want to go on the trip anyways for my personal enjoyment. MQDs mean nothing to me as card spend removes any of those. A nice R/T to Asia will pad the MQMs for the year.
Old May 26, 2016, 5:54 pm

When I was looking for the fare class for the OP's flights, the cheapoair fare rules did list B for the PVG-NRT-PVG segments, but I couldn't find them again during my second pass through, and posted the Orbitz fare rules instead, which only mentions Q. That having been said, I'd be willing to bet that the Orbitz ticket is the same in practice (one would presumably be able to confirm this before actually pulling the trigger).

@OP: At the risk of beating a dead horse, the "workaround" to MU's "no seats" error that prevents you from getting out of the batter's box is to book elsewhere (in addition to Orbitz and Cheapoair, Expedia and Priceline are also offering those flights for $580).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.