Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route? Air China to Ecuador

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

New route? Air China to Ecuador

I'm not sure where the best place to ask this is, so I figured I'd try here.

According to an Ecuadorian press release, Air China signed an agreement last year to start 14 flights a week to Ecuador. I have no other information beyond that.

Is there any obvious way of getting more details about it? Does 'signing an agreement' mean this is imminent (months? years?), or is that just politicspeak for 'yeah, maybe, someday'?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I googled and failed to find the press release. If you have it, please share here.

But, my guess would be that, if these flights are launching, they will be all cargo, and maybe route via ANC.

If they were passenger flights, CA would have made a big deal about this (like they did with HAV...a year in advance of the inaugural).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: various
14 flights A WEEK? That can't possibly be for passenger traffic, at least not most of those flights. As to the timing question, it probably means they hope to start something within the next year. If they are traveling to/through USA airspace or airports for refueling stops, then there will be additional time-consuming hoops to jump before this can become a reality.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

I've gone through what I can find again, and it looks like the actual meeting took place in 2013, but it's currently being rehashed by the media. This is a very awkward translation of the original http://www.cancilleria.gob.ec/ecuado...various-areas/

I am guessing the '14 weekly flights' comes from this, but is more likely to mean 7 return flights, or 1 daily flight that stops in both Quito and Guayaquil. I would also guess that this is predominantly about cargo, as Ecuador are very keen to get their roses to China, and that's been in the press here lately too.
http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad...ina-mujer.html

But this all coincides with Ecuador removing visa requirements for tourists from China, so maybe they are expecting passenger traffic too. (And thinking about it, the visa changes may be why this is suddenly in the media again).

There was talk about 10 years ago of a flight starting from China via Toronto, but I don't think anything came of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.