Search

EVA Air Cabin Stowage help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold
EVA Air Cabin Stowage help

Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so I was wondering if any of you can help, I am flying on the EVA Air 777-300er from LHR to BKK.

I have a Briggs & Riley Baseline Wide Body International Carry On with dimensions:

L x W x D
53.3 x 39.4 x 21.6 = 114.3

I see the EVA Airways site displays carry on baggage allowance is:

The dimension of each hand-carry baggage may not be larger than 23 x 36 x 56 cm /9 x 14 x 22 in or total of 115 cm/45 in (personal item is not applied to this regulation);

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/check-in...ecial-baggage/

Therefore my bag is 3.4cm too big in the width dimension, but smaller in the other two dimensions?

My question is will my B&R bag fit in the overhead lockers, given that I usually fly BA and stow the carry on lengthways in, and it seems to fit. I am assuming just like BA I would stow the bag lengthways in, and that the cabin lockers are 56cm deep?

Also how strict are EVA with the dimensions, will it be allowed on board?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have the exact same bag. The issue is not size, as this bag fits perfectly fine lengthwise in any 777 overhead bin, but weight. BR weighs the carry-on bags - in fact, they tried to disallow my backpack because my Macbook 17" weighed too much.

So I was able to convince the check-in staff at my first BR airport to allow both my backpack and BR widebody (which was substantially overweight), and I left the "carry-on approved" tags on the handles of both bags for my return flight and just pointed out to the check-in agent they were already approved....and she let me go.

I don't know where you're departing from, but when faced with similar situations on airlines with strict carry-on inspections at check-in, I've either left the bag in my car during check-in or left it with the temporary baggage storage office at the airport so they never see it. For me, avoiding checked bags is of utmost importance, so I go to great lengths to make sure my bags stay with me - in your situation, you might be perfectly fine just checking the bag.

They just seemed fixated on this irrational fear of a 'heavy' bag somehow falling out of the overhead bin and hitting someone on the head.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
They just seemed fixated on this irrational fear of a 'heavy' bag somehow falling out of the overhead bin and hitting someone on the head.
You mean they are very safety oriented?

My understanding is that if a heavy bag gets onboard and the FA has to help lift the bag, then it will be written up on the Purser's report and the station will be held accountable.

EVA/Evergreen has a very stringent accountability culture. No one wants to get into trouble.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username

My understanding is that if a heavy bag gets onboard and the FA has to help lift the bag, then it will be written up on the Purser's report and the station will be held accountable.

EVA/Evergreen has a very stringent accountability culture. No one wants to get into trouble.
No one is suggesting needing the help of a crew member to lift the bag - that's a different problem. As long as the customer can lift and stow the bag themselves, it should be good enough and the weight shouldn't matter - it doesn't matter on any North American carriers and I don't see bags falling out of overhead bins onto people's heads.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:02 pm

No one is suggesting needing the help of a crew member to lift the bag - that's a different problem. As long as the customer can lift and stow the bag themselves, it should be good enough and the weight shouldn't matter - it doesn't matter on any North American carriers and I don't see bags falling out of overhead bins onto people's heads.
I have definitely personally seen bags falling and hit people's heads. I have also heard stories of litigations for these accidents. Do you want to be sued because your heavy bag fell and caused injury?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by kuanchi1013
I have definitely personally seen bags falling and hit people's heads. I have also heard stories of litigations for these accidents. Do you want to be sued because your heavy bag fell and caused injury?
I'm not worried about it...I've never seen it and with the RL configuration, my bag is likely the only one in the bin and I'm the only head near the bin.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it doesn't matter on any North American carriers
I am surprised someone as well-travelled as you would want to apply North American carriers standards internationally It seems the weight for cabin bags is enforced internationally by many carriers. I even had my bag intercepted when I flew on BA in C LHR-SIN (and they lost it for 2 days as the bag continued to SYD ).

Just today, on my US 737 flight with the new interior, one of the overheads opened up on landing.

By the way, in RL, you can take 2 rollaboards of 7KG/15 lbs. each.

Last edited by username; Mar 30, 2015 at 9:17 pm
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
.I've never seen it and with the RL configuration, my bag is likely the only one in the bin and I'm the only head near the bin.
That's why I always love that RL Configuration. Private bin space, rest assured my stuff won't be touched mid-flight.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
That's why I always love that RL Configuration. Private bin space, rest assured my stuff won't be touched mid-flight.
Of course, nothing says those overhead bins are dedicated to you in RL. Once I was on a SHA-PEK flight in Y, one guy went totally crazy when he boarded and found "his" overhead space taken.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Of course, nothing says those overhead bins are dedicated to you in RL. Once I was on a SHA-PEK flight in Y, one guy went totally crazy when he boarded and found "his" overhead space taken.
Edit: Y can't be compared with J. I would not be surprised if Y used J's bins.

Last edited by TennisNoob; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 am

They are not officially dedicated and Y is not a fair comparison, but each seat has a bin right over it - there is no need to fight for bin space if you only have two carry-on items of reasonable size.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
The carry on will fit on EVA unless you are on A321 or M90.

Correct that EVA really cares more about weight than size (other than kitchen sinks). As long as they fit and look visibly like a carry on.

The real reason is to avoid filling extra fuel when it's not needed by checking every single piece of luggage to make they comply the rule. However, other than an extremely full flight, they won't bother the Royal Laurel passengers unless they can visibly see you carry a kitchen sink.

Economy pretty much gets weighed often on long haul unless it's quite empty.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IZaffar
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, so I was wondering if any of you can help, I am flying on the EVA Air 777-300er from LHR to BKK.

I have a Briggs & Riley Baseline Wide Body International Carry On with dimensions:

L x W x D
53.3 x 39.4 x 21.6 = 114.3

I see the EVA Airways site displays carry on baggage allowance is:

The dimension of each hand-carry baggage may not be larger than 23 x 36 x 56 cm /9 x 14 x 22 in or total of 115 cm/45 in (personal item is not applied to this regulation);

http://www.evaair.com/en-us/check-in...ecial-baggage/

Therefore my bag is 3.4cm too big in the width dimension, but smaller in the other two dimensions?

My question is will my B&R bag fit in the overhead lockers, given that I usually fly BA and stow the carry on lengthways in, and it seems to fit. I am assuming just like BA I would stow the bag lengthways in, and that the cabin lockers are 56cm deep?

Also how strict are EVA with the dimensions, will it be allowed on board?

Thanks
I have the same bag, don't worry.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

What? My bag was overweight and oversized (one of them). Not a problem.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
What? My bag was overweight and oversized (one of them). Not a problem.
Did you not get caught or got caught and they said it was not a problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.