Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unlimited ASEAN flights from Jakarta; Hurt GA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Unlimited ASEAN flights from Jakarta; Hurt GA?

If other Asian carriers like SQ and CX are allowed to basically develop a mini hub in CGK, I very much wonder how this is going to hurt GA. While GA has made immense improvements in the past few years, I don't think they can compare to airlines like SQ and CX for long haul European and N America routes/traffic.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asi...ights-20140922
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:37 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
If other Asian carriers like SQ and CX are allowed to basically develop a mini hub in CGK, I very much wonder how this is going to hurt GA. While GA has made immense improvements in the past few years, I don't think they can compare to airlines like SQ and CX for long haul European and N America routes/traffic.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asi...ights-20140922
HKG is not part of ASEAN, hence CX will not enjoy this privi. I think SQ has already been a dominant carrier in Indonesia anyway (ex DPS and CGK at least)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:56 am

in fact, i think all the full service carriers will suffer. budget airlines will get to enjoy the unlimited access, and this will give them more flights to secondary cities protected by the government. Chiangmai, Bali, Lombok, Vientiane etc. there will be huge pressure on yields and consumers win
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
SQ I would guess is carrying more between CGK and SIN, SQ has 777 on the route, while GA uses mostly 737 with some wide bodies mixed in. I assumed that since HK has special agreements with ASEAN, that maybe CX could come in. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm guessing that GA will suffer, as better carrier such as SQ and as mentioned above LCC's can easily come in and start direct service to cities GA wouldn't be able to support….
Old Sep 28, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, OZ Diamond, KE
The bigger issue is the lack of capacity at CGK. Take-offs are already backed up during peak hour...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.