Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

Taiwanese airline TransAsia Airways GE222 crashes, 23 July 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade

A Transasia Airways ATR72 crashes, carrying 78 onboard. 71 dead and 7 severely injured. More news still incoming.

CNN reporting flight crashed in the Penghu Islands. Taiwan is being hit by Typhoon Matmo at the time of the crash

correction: carrying 58 people, 51 feared dead, 7 severely injured.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Jul 23, 2014 at 9:22 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
It is GE222 from KHH to Penghu. Now the information is not very clear. There are 54 passengers and 4 crews. Now the news in Taiwan is saying that somewhere around 46-51 people dead.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Just saw the news too. Wow, horrible What a tragic year for aviation...
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by yuchung5
It is GE222 from KHH to Penghu. Now the information is not very clear. There are 54 passengers and 4 crews. Now the news in Taiwan is saying that somewhere around 46-51 people dead.
Bad day to be flying in Taiwan. Arrive in KHH late this afternoon from HKG on Dragon Air , arrived 2:30pm very late (2 hours late) after flying around KHH a hour+ and aborted landings from high cross winds from the Typhoon in the area. (if we did not land on this last attempt the captain said would return to HKG) Saw two TransAsia ATR72 at domestic side of terminals at 3pm, wonder if it was one that crashed. Anyways I am happy to be home safe after this bad weather day here in TW.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Taiwan government says that confirmed 47 dead.
RIP.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: CX MPC GO; Golden Circle nobody!
This is really terrible. RIP.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Here is the BBC news link:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-28448763

Bit scary, really, although Taiwan does not have a great airline safety reputation in times gone by.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just in Penghu two weeks ago, and I flew out of there on a TransAsia ATR-72. Penghu is almost always quite windy, even without storms in the area, so I would expect these pilots to be used to bumpy landings.

Some reports are saying that the plane was attempting to make an "emergency landing". If true, doesn't that seem to suggest that there may have been some mechanical issues with the plane, and perhaps the weather was not a direct cause?

Originally Posted by Taipei
Bad day to be flying in Taiwan. Arrive in KHH late this afternoon from HKG on Dragon Air , arrived 2:30pm very late (2 hours late) after flying around KHH a hour+ and aborted landings from high cross winds from the Typhoon in the area. (if we did not land on this last attempt the captain said would return to HKG) Saw two TransAsia ATR72 at domestic side of terminals at 3pm, wonder if it was one that crashed. Anyways I am happy to be home safe after this bad weather day here in TW.
I had relatives who also flew from HKG-KHH this afternoon. They were originally on a 9AM flight. After some mechanical delays, they finally took off, but had to turn around and return to HKG because of weather. Took off again sometime after 4PM, and arrived safely just before 6PM. By then, the storm had moved out of the area, and the winds were much calmer. Even at the storm's peak, it wasn't a big weather event for southern Taiwan. Fair amount of rain, and some moderate wind gusts. At least, that's how it was in Tainan.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:00 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Cable news in the USA is saying that at least 51 are dead. Earlier CNN said that 45 were missing and presumed dead, but now the numbers are as many as 45 could be dead and at most 9 are injured. I wonder whether there's uncertainty about exactly how many people were on board.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Source: World Journal (news online) - reporting that the a/c was delayed & attempted to land during bad weather, did a go-around and was trying to communicate with the tower to try again at 19:06 when contact was lost. It apparently crash landed at a nearby village/town & damaged 2 homes with no reported casualties on the ground.

Conflicting counts being reported but appeared to be 58 souls onboard the ATR72, 54 pax & 4 crews - above link as pix of the FF on scene putting out the fire along with first responders. Pix #2 is NOT the correct a/c unless ... ATR72 flown by the carrier had been associated with 2 previous accidents, as reported here (Google Translate it)

RIP - thoughts & prayers, not a good month for flying.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jul 23, 2014 at 11:06 am Reason: # onboard - corrected
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Now CNN says 47 killed and 11 injured for a total of 58 people.

Could the four have been lap infants or perhaps people on the ground where the plane crashed?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Confirmed 58 people on board: 46 missing, 11 injured & 1 dead

Due to Typhoon Matmo, it's still windy with heavy rain in Penghu that hampered and slowed down the rescue mission. Forty-six missing are still buried under debris at this very moment.

Because of weather, GE222 took off about 100 minutes late from KHH this evening at 17:43. Shortly after 19:00 upon landing, after the pilot requesting another go around, the plane disappeared from the radar.

There's still lots of speculation about the landing failure. Let it be mechanical, weather or human errors, we won't have more details until tomorrow. Hope more survivors are found.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether there's uncertainty about exactly how many people were on board.
It's confirmed 58 people were on board, including 4 crew members.

News flash at this point: 46 missing, 11 injured, & 1 dead.

Manifest of 54 passengers just released with 2 French:

陳培樺、葉根壯、葉鍾日緯、吳佳玲、吳昌樓、沈美惠、陳雅娟、陳雅婷、陳雅婗、吳淑綿、許又卿、顏光健、顏 甜倪、顏盛隆、許崇泰、許秀菊、陳潤清、鍾家偉、鍾淑嵐、衣素綺、衣起霈、李依謹、李曾明勤、李緯彤、李孟 珊、楊秉燁、林晏(宴)鈴、洪郁婷、李順己、丁素美、陳志明、陳昱豪、陳銘霖、戴秋樺、馬元佾、何玉強、王 明生、王蔡銀妤(好)、何柏翰、涂小佩、蔡民華、蕭玉貴、許憲中、周胤廷、許瑀婕、李明村、楊景翔、蔡佩儒 、顏婉茹、張智仁、陳正龍、鄭茜文、Jeromine Deramond、Penelope Luternauer

Last edited by lin821; Jul 25, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: fixing the spelling of 2 French exchange students
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The details are really strange right now - the timeline does not add up. Taiwanese media is not exactly the most thorough or professional. On top of that, it was a day off for most due to the typhoon so I don't see any news release from the government websites.

The one account I am hearing that somewhat adds up is the plane had diverted to a near by airport/landing strip (is there one???). The crash happened when it attempted to take off again for the main Makong airport (MZG). Something about maybe not enough lift.

Last edited by username; Jul 23, 2014 at 10:17 am
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: DL Diamond, former UA1K MM lifetime (left UA for DL), FPCPlat, DL Biz and Plat Amex
prayers for the families.

we're seeing too many of these lately :-(
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
UDN has photos from the scene: http://udn.com/NEWS/NATIONAL/NATS3/8823710.shtml

Nothing gruesome... just wreckage on top of a row of houses and lots of emergency first responders.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.