Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH's Future [Speculation]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can see pictures of a lot of MH main courses for F and J on their website if you look for "chef on call." There's a huge PDF as the selections depend on the departure airport for the flights where this is offered. [It wasn't available exLAX at the end, not even for the exNRT continuing segment if the passenger originated in LAX, although MH staff didn't seem to be aware of this restriction.]
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
Originally Posted by dfs24
Really? MH A380 @ 2-2-2 > CX 77W @ 1-2-1? You're definitely in the minority.

With no cheese (on most routes) and choice of dessert on MH vs SQ, I think SQ serves more food than MH.

Whole lobsters on MH J? Rather curious as to what routes you have seen them on. I have never seen lobsters other than perhaps lobster salad as their starters in my last 50+ J flights with MH in the last 12 months.

Agree on the Satays. 2nd helpings plus they taste much juicier than SQ's.

They had lobster a couple of times I flew J from KUL-LHR and vice versa.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I know for those of us not affected directly by either MH370 or MH 17 life goes on, but who has the best satay or who does or does not serve lobster does seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I know for those of us not affected directly by either MH370 or MH 17 life goes on, but who has the best satay or who does or does not serve lobster does seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things....
Concur but from a different perspective.

I could care less about food and in flight service, the top priority is arriving safely at my destination.

In recent months MH has failed twice by that measure, so it doesn't matter what subsidies they get the loads will plummet until the public receives some assurances.

Not that I'd object if UA menu featured lobster, but I like knowing my pilots are vetted and the airline doesn't take routing risks
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Boraxo

I could care less about food and in flight service, the top priority is arriving safely at my destination.

In recent months MH has failed twice by that measure, so it doesn't matter what subsidies they get the loads will plummet until the public receives some assurances.

Not that I'd object if UA menu featured lobster, but I like knowing my pilots are vetted and the airline doesn't take routing risks
+1 to both posters for reminding us. see we can " self moderate " ! ^
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

I don't think a lobster would be enough to make me be easily willing to fly UA. I value reliability and being taken care of well, including during IROPs.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

Seeing that you're UA MP member, I doubt you'll be flying on MH anyway. And by the way, the flight was on an IATA approved route. Behind them was SQ. It could very easily have been them instead.

How are UA pilots vetted? You mean like this one who was pulled off a flight cos he was drunk?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_411491.html
Old Jul 24, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Seeing that you're UA MP member, I doubt you'll be flying on MH anyway. And by the way, the flight was on an IATA approved route. Behind them was SQ. It could very easily have been them instead.

How are UA pilots vetted? You mean like this one who was pulled off a flight cos he was drunk?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_411491.html
Pilots are not free from human failures. USA has more pilots so more incidences....Remember in many countries and cultures pilots are viewed as at the top .....
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: SQ AA TK
I dont really care about inflight service, not at least when it comes to MH where it is terribly inconsistent. Lobster or not, satay or not, the discussion on their inflight product current standing does probably affect their future.

I think MH was just pure unlucky with MH17. As others have promptly pointed out, they were on an approved routing. SQ could have been the victim. SQ most recent loss of seperation incident at IAH could have easily turned ugly. SQ had a 777 off the runway in MUC and a 330 runway excursion in RGN not too long ago.

Like every organisation, there will be top performers and bottom performers, but all have passed the test. Its just the draw of the luck who is flying your plane that day.

As for whether MH will survive, it will but who knows if the govt will retain a majority stake.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
On both MH and SQ I've requested and received second helpings of the satay. However, it is true that SQ has been offering their satay course on fewer flights than previously.
I've always been offered second helpings of satay on MH, never had to ask for it.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

IATA approved but not recommend by US government. Maybe IATA and the other airlines will pay closer attention to other risks rather than just weather @:-)

I don't know how UA pilots are vetted but it is pretty stringent and they get regularly recertified, etc. They are not perfect but they do not deliberately take their planes off the grid or down (Egyptair #990).

By all means continue to fly MH I am sure you will enjoy lower fares and more cabin space, at least as long as the government subsidizes.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think a lobster would be enough to make me be easily willing to fly UA. I value reliability and being taken care of well, including during IROPs.
Not tooting UA's horn, but it has gotten everyone to their destinations this year... eventually. The IRROPS handling does leave much to be desired, but they are not unique in this regard.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:20 am

Programs: MH-Plat OWE, HH-Diamond, SPG-Plat, MR-Plat, IHG-PlatAmb
IATA approved but not recommend by US government. Maybe IATA and the other airlines will pay closer attention to other risks rather than just weather @:-)

I don't know how UA pilots are vetted but it is pretty stringent and they get regularly recertified, etc. They are not perfect but they do not deliberately take their planes off the grid or down (Egyptair #990).

By all means continue to fly MH I am sure you will enjoy lower fares and more cabin space, at least as long as the government subsidizes.

Not tooting UA's horn, but it has gotten everyone to their destinations this year... eventually. The IRROPS handling does leave much to be desired, but they are not unique in this regard.
I fail to see why a Malaysian-based airline would consult the US government on choice of routes?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asheby
I fail to see why a Malaysian-based airline would consult the US government on choice of routes?
they do not have to....but the US has set all sorts of standards that many follow.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by dfs24
Whole lobsters on MH J? Rather curious as to what routes you have seen them on. I have never seen lobsters other than perhaps lobster salad as their starters in my last 50+ J flights with MH in the last 12 months.

Agree on the Satays. 2nd helpings plus they taste much juicier than SQ's.
It was KUL - AKL about 2 years ago.

I knew someone who flew a few months later got the same thing.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:13 pm

Thanks to the evolution of aviation regulation and aircraft design, flying is one of the safest form of transportation (supported statistically) and hence I never worry about safety.

So I worry about, food, IFE, lounge quality, etc...

I guess it is like Maslow's Heirarchy of needs (aviation wise) when one need is satisfied (safety, or the perception of) then other needs take its place (comforts, etc).

If MH17 pushed out 5 minutes later, we could be reading about SQ351 instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.