Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Reload this Page >

And it's out...Philippine Airlines' first A330-300HGW with new seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist

Copyright Photo: Nikki Pili/PPSG

Philippine Airlines received their first of seven A330-300HGW which they plan to deploy to Abu Dhabi, Bangkok, Hong Kong, Nagoya, Tokyo-Haneda, and Seoul. After seeing the pics of the interior of the plane I don't think I will be flying them soon.

Business Class

Looks okay right? but look at the back of the seats.

When both seats are reclined to full-flat beds, one would be a few inches above the other so the foot of your seatmate would be in the compartment above yours...

Copyright Photo: Lloyd Lostboy/PPSG

In order to save space, they have also removed the center console, so you won't have a place to put your iPad IFEs when you are eating.

Premium Economy

I think Philippine Airlines is the only airline with a 9 abreast Premium Economy section on an A330.

(LCC) Economy

9-abreast economy seats...enough said.
Old May 17, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Oh the humanity. There's so much wrong with that plane I don't even know where to begin. Bunk beds in Business class, 9 across in Y and even 9 across in PY, Linoleum floors????
Old May 17, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Oh the humanity. There's so much wrong with that plane I don't even know where to begin. Bunk beds in Business class, 9 across in Y and even 9 across in PY, Linoleum floors????
This design is just giving me the "wth" were they thinking though too!

My feet would be facing up into the sky, I never slept like that before.

Not even flat but is there a such thing called "Reverse Lie Flat" o.O

The flooring is just....... lame
Business class doesn't have Laminate Flooring because they pay higher $$$'s?
Old May 17, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
I am extremely permissible about what I'll fly on. J recliners or angled flats do not send me into throws of anger or despair.

But this configuration looks ghastly. Y+ is a joke, and J looks bizarre. I'd much rather fly angled flat on a known/previously flown (by me) carrier such as MH, TG, or KLM than chance that config long haul.
Old May 17, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
In their defense, while the J seats looks funny, and the rest looks like a cramped mess, the floors are not linoleum; that's just a covering for the carpet. You see the same thing in a new RV on the lot. Protects the carpet before purchase.

Sponge
Old May 17, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
I *may* fly the new J from BKK/HKG-MNL - above acceptable to be fair, even if it looks like a hostel dormitory, for a short haul flights, considering that most regional seats are recliners.

But for a 5 hour flight to Japan, 9 hour flight to Middle East - and they are planning to use this plane for HNL/MEL/SYD too - no way! Where do you put the iPad while eating? And passengers are actually expected to hold it for hours and hours? They didn't even bother to install a tablet-holder?

The Y and Y+ - there are no words. I've tried it on an intra-PH flight - just 1.5 hours - and it was very painful. Imagine a 10 hour flight to HNL. Torture. Even the crew I talked to said that they absolutely hate the new A330 3-3-3 sardines class.

The cherry on top of this whole mess of a cake? They just increased their airfares the past few months! Good job, PR!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:54 pm

Programs: MP-AM, Etihad Guest Platinum
and I dont know if anyone noticed...No IFE screens anywhere. You will need to stream movies and music via wifi. Business class passengers will be provided with tablets and the rest can just use their own wifi enabled devices or rent one...
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:02 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I don't understand why they had to go with this configuration in business. Don't the lie-flat seats in use by other carriers on the A330, also in a 2-2-2 configuration, work just as well as these? I'd prefer the option similar to what is currently installed on KE and MH over this. The bunk bed look is massively unappealing.

These new high-density/HGW cabin designs are really a bad product decision.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:05 am

WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU THINKING PAL?!!

I'd be sure never to set foot in this J cabin. The required therapy thereafter would be too painful and expensive.
Old Jun 21, 2014, 11:52 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Insane.....
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by dll
I don't understand why they had to go with this configuration in business. Don't the lie-flat seats in use by other carriers on the A330, also in a 2-2-2 configuration, work just as well as these? I'd prefer the option similar to what is currently installed on KE and MH over this. The bunk bed look is massively unappealing.

These new high-density/HGW cabin designs are really a bad product decision.
This is supposedly modelled along the lines of the Lufthansa full flat seats - but instead of having cramped foot space, having the seats at different heights gives more space.

The only difference in seating is one is slightly higher than the other in bed mode.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:42 am

I remember my horror a year or so back when they introduced the 9-across seating in A330s on the domestic Manila <> General Santos route that I fly every month. That caused me to move over to Cebu Pacific for that route. Cebu Pacific may be budget and full of screaming families and mid-flight games, but the seats are superior to the PAL seats, even for just 1 hour 40 minutes.

Then a few months ago PAL introduced the bi-class A330s on the Tokyo <> Manila routes. Now I'm flying Delta.

A couple of years ago, before the San Miguel fiasco, PAL lauded the MNL <> NRT route as a flagship route and flew a 777 on it. IFE in every seat, 2-4-2 seating, and a simple but spacious Business section.

Now its like a zoo in the A330s. Sitting 9-across in Economy is hell; even slim people will be pressing shoulders and if all seats are full then those in the aisle seats will get their shoulders and arms hit by service trolleys.

The Business seats are awful. They use a herringbone layout but with adjacent seats facing slightly inward and toward each other. That's wonderful if you're a couple off on honeymoon but awful if you're a businessperson who wants to work without the adjacent passenger being able to easily overlook your screen. Added to that the seats are narrow, there is not much storage space, and IFE (as in Economy) is via an iPad that you must hold throughout the fight.

These A330s might have been good for the airlines fuel costs but for passengers they are a humiliating experience.

Almost any of the alternatives are better.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: MP-AM, Etihad Guest Platinum
Was on this plane this morning from MNL to BKK. What can I say...
It's just plain BAD.
The seats were narrow, padding too hard, and those stupid footwells...I can't get over them! I got assigned to the lower "bunk" and when you're in upright and lounging position and you want to put your feet inside them, the side wall presses on your ankle. It seems that the angle of the footwell doesn't match the angle of the seat. And as far as having more room for your feet when you lie flat(hence the bunk bed style)...they don't work! I have small feet and I still can't fit inside comfortably. The table is pretty big thankfully but woe is he who doesn't watch out when it pops out. It can take out your eye as it springs up and add to that a loud banging sound as it does.
And don't even get me started on the IFE. It wasn't even a full sized tablet but an iPad mini.. with around a dozen movies...
PAL: Big mistake...Big..
Fortunately, service was flawless this time. ISM actually went around to talk to passengers and even topped up some of the drinks during the last drink run. J crew was proactive, warm, engaging and very efficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.