Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eva Business or UA First to Asia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Question for you Experienced Asia Flyers -- final destination is DPS; one choice is SFO on UA First (747) - ICN.(then SQ to SIN and on to DPS - including red-eye to SIN), OR LAX - TPE on EVA in Business (then on to SIN and DPS - no red-eye). So, UA First on 747 (with red-eye on connection), or EVA Business (777-300) with no connecting red-eye, but sleeping on the EVA flight?
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K

Easy one: Eva, hands down. Superior food, service and Dom Perignon served in business class.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I take CX business over AA first all the time and UA first is worse than AA whilst EVA business is similar to CX. Definitely EVA, especially since you only have 2 flights rather than 3.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
are you connecting through SIN no matter what? EVA also fly to DPS directly from TPE
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:17 am

If Eva has same equipment in SFO as JFK, you'll have royal laurel class flat beds to sleep in comfort. Can arrange your meal for anytime, excellent service.

Eva uses 777
UA still uses the old 747, guess what that means?

I stopped flying UA First class long time ago, never looked back. POV
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

EVA Business vs. UA GlobalFirst - thanks

Thanks folks - I've been torn, as I have enjoyed the 747 GlobalFirst seats - but all of you have really been advocates of the EVA Business seat instead - thinking that First is always better than Business...no??

So far, I would have to go from TPE-SIN (on EVA), then connecting to a SIN flight to DPS (using UA miles).
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Not sure which days you are flying but you may want to check to see if you can do TPE-DPS on EVA. That will eliminate another transfer.

BR255 TPE-DPS
BR256 DPS-TPE

The equipment should be A330-200 so it is Premium Laurel angled lie flat.

I don't know the redemption rate on UA any more after the merger but I assume EVA J requires fewer miles than UA F? If that is the case, I would definitely take the EVA J for the transpac segment.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by psterman
Thanks folks - I've been torn, as I have enjoyed the 747 GlobalFirst seats - but all of you have really been advocates of the EVA Business seat instead - thinking that First is always better than Business...no??

So far, I would have to go from TPE-SIN (on EVA), then connecting to a SIN flight to DPS (using UA miles).
Why can't you fly nonstop between tpe and dps?
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Re: TPE-DPS Direct

Unfortunately, the direct TPE-DPS is not available using miles. So, I have to go TPE-SIN in EVA, then connect to SQ flight SIN-DPS. But after the LAX-TPE flight, I guess three flights are better than the four I'm current on (even with giving up my GlobalFirst UA from LAX-ICN as the first leg)
Old Apr 12, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Question for you Experienced Asia Flyers -- final destination is DPS; one choice is SFO on UA First (747) - ICN.(then SQ to SIN and on to DPS - including red-eye to SIN), OR LAX - TPE on EVA in Business (then on to SIN and DPS - no red-eye). So, UA First on 747 (with red-eye on connection), or EVA Business (777-300) with no connecting red-eye, but sleeping on the EVA flight?
EVA 77W ftw.

Better food, service, IFE, and cheaper ticket right?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:54 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
UA First... wakakaka sorry can't help it. Other than the bigger seat, there is nothing First about it.

EVA Royal Laurel Class - smaller seat is still excellent, everything else is virtually first class. Dom Perignon, great meals (vs. UA F - I mean cheap mall food court), great crew.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:56 pm

thinking that First is always better than Business...no??
Asian carriers biz class usually better than American carriers in First....
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
That's hard to dispute because the only American carriers that still have F are AA and UA, both of which we generally disdain in these forums. However, I must say that I like DL biz more than anything slanted on an Asian carrier, and almost put it on par with CX (flying CX is always a pleasure, but the food is dreadful IMO). Furthermore, many Asian airlines have lousy business class products (I'm thinking of PR in particular, but numerous others).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by dtsm
Not accurate unfortunately

Air China's business class is equivalent to United's P.S. on international flights

But there domestic business class is identical to United's.

So it depends on the carrier. Same applies with China Airlines.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
But there domestic business class is identical to United's.

So it depends on the carrier. Same applies with China Airlines.
It really depends on the airline/airplane/configuration (just like in the US). For example, some of MU's 320s have extremely generous pitch in the front cabin (I never know whether to call it business or first) whereas others are just as cramped as UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.