Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HKG-KWL: CZ or HX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

HKG-KWL: CZ or HX?

I need to book a paid ticket in Y from HKG to KWL. The two nonstops are operated by China Southern (CZ) and Hong Kong Airlines (HX). HX is about $40 more expensive. Anyone have any experience with these two airlines? Any thoughts on which one is better, and whether it's worth it to pay more for HX? It looks like HX doesn't have any US-based mileage partners, but the flight is pretty short so that's probably not a big deal.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: CX SL, AB Gold, AF/KL FB Silver, HU/HX Silver, SPG Gold
Depends on your schedule I guess. Both are equally average - nothing to write home about. But at least with CZ you might be able to earn DL miles if you're booked in an eligible booking class.

For the $40, are you referring to US Dollars or HK Dollars? If the former, pick CZ. Not worth an extra US$40 premium to fly HX.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I'd pick based on schedule and if it made no difference I'd fly CZ. As far as mileage accrual goes, HX is unaligned and their earning rates for cheapo fares is absolutely dire. There's nothing much to distinguish the two airlines on such a short flight.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! Just booked CZ. Booking it was a nightmare in itself! Far more expensive on orbitz, etc., so had to go straight to CZ -- and they don't make it easy to use an American credit card, etc., for international flights.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Why not try CZ out. I think they're pretty much the same. CZ would probably have more service than HX and I'm guessing the fares cost a little bit more?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.