Mardi Gras 2012 Tips

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mardi Gras 2012 Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I am heading to NO for 5 nights in Feb, leaving shortly after Fat Tuesday. I've never been to MG or NO in general before.

We are four 28 year old guys and want to have a good time, eat some good food, hit some fun bars, etc. Any tips or suggestions for the crowd here?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:16 pm

Since your 28 y/o guys, I'm assuming that you'll be spending quite a bit of time in the French Quarter. The police can be fairly tolerant, however, the moment that you start to infringe on someone else's good time, ..... Saw some a$$hole$ after the BCS eating asphalt on Bourbon St. with the Blue Shirts kneeling on their backs.

Buy plenty of BIG beads and have a good time. And, this is the rule: whether you like 'em, or not, if she shows 'em, you have to give her the beads.

One caution is that, each night, it would probably be a good idea for one of you to keep a level head. We've had an uptick in serious crime in the FQ and one of you might need to shepherd the others out of a bad situation. I know that I'm probably spitting in the wind with that advice.

I hope y'all have a great time and remember, what happens at Mardi Gras, makes for great stories when you're back home.

Hope you've made your hotel reservations already.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Use common sense. Beware of pickpockets - don't keep your wallets in your back pockets. In fact, it would be better if you just put some cash, your id, and a credit card in a safe place where it can't be grabbed easily (such as a travel pouch around your neck) because there will be people everywhere. Leave your wallets in the in-room safe.

Don't mess with the NOPD or their horses.

If you are just staying in the FQ, don't rent a car. Or get one just for the days you need it. It will be almost impossible to park for the big parades. And if you do park, make sure you park legally b/c the tow trucks will be out in force.

Eat a slice of king cake. Or buy a whole one.

Oh, and remember where you got your shoes.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:18 am

Also, I noticed you posted with an iPhone. Be careful with flashing it around too much, some have been snatched while people are using them in the FQ.

Bourbon St can be extremely claustrophobic with the huge number of people. Sometimes, if you get caught in the flow, it will be difficult to get out of the crowd.

I second the comment about a car - FORGET IT!! It will be too much trouble.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Good info, thanks.

Any bar/restaurant recommendations? Probably staying at the Sheraton (maybe W Poydras) - good/bad?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:51 pm

Use the "search" function for this forum for restaurant recommendations. Been discussed quite a bit.
Bar recommendations? The Hermes Bar in Antoine's Restaurant. There are so many bars, you could just choose the nearest one. You won't have trouble finding one to suit your desires.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Since your 28 y/o guys, I'm assuming that you'll be spending quite a bit of time in the French Quarter. The police can be fairly tolerant, however, the moment that you start to infringe on someone else's good time, ..... Saw some a$$hole$ after the BCS eating asphalt on Bourbon St. with the Blue Shirts kneeling on their backs.

Buy plenty of BIG beads and have a good time. And, this is the rule: whether you like 'em, or not, if she shows 'em, you have to give her the beads.

One caution is that, each night, it would probably be a good idea for one of you to keep a level head. We've had an uptick in serious crime in the FQ and one of you might need to shepherd the others out of a bad situation. I know that I'm probably spitting in the wind with that advice.

I hope y'all have a great time and remember, what happens at Mardi Gras, makes for great stories when you're back home.

Hope you've made your hotel reservations already.
Concur one hundred percent with FLYMSY...Was there on MG many moons ago and witnessed the Blue Shirts just as described. Also on reservations, the earlier the better. Good advise on the clear head one. About the beads... yeah, you have to give them up for the privilege. However if you have one of those funny names like Hung Lo... you'll get them back.
Have fun and good luck

Zeus
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
If it's your first Mardi Gras, you'll probably want to spend some time in the French Quarter. But I strongly recommend that you spend some time outside the Quarter. Personally, I love watching Saturday afternoon parades from the vicinity of Saint Charles and Napoleon (note that that's not really the type of place for "typical" bead exchanges ). But you might have a hard time getting up there if you're staying in the Quarter and don't have a car. Frenchman Street is another great place to hang, particularly in the evening and at night.

Just be safe, be respectful (particularly of the NOPD horses!) and have fun!!! Wish I could be there this year!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thanks for the tips
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:23 pm

Is there such a thing as reserved seating for the parades? Taking children and thinking that would be a great option if available. Thanks. Any other kid friendly suggestions appreciated.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Is there such a thing as reserved seating for the parades? Taking children and thinking that would be a great option if available. Thanks. Any other kid friendly suggestions appreciated.
Watch the parades in the "Uptown" area, preferably on Napoleon Ave. or the first few blocks of St. Charles Ave. closest to Napoleon. You'll be OK with standing on the neutral ground (median, for you non-natives) and probably have more fun than being stuck in the stands (reserved seating). With that said, there are stands available to sit in, for a fee.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL EZ TG AS
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Don't remember seeing "Reserve seating" per se, but people had their chairs out. Does not mean there wasn't. However the one I attended you wanted to be standing as there were many beads to be caught. Lots of beads, fake coins, music and plenty of colorful floats.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:02 pm

Reserved seating:

neworleansparadetickets.com

"fake coins" = doubloons
Old Feb 8, 2012, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Watch the parades in the "Uptown" area, preferably on Napoleon Ave. or the first few blocks of St. Charles Ave. closest to Napoleon. You'll be OK with standing on the neutral ground (median, for you non-natives) and probably have more fun than being stuck in the stands (reserved seating).
+1 And you may be surprised at how many children you'll see in that area. My friends and their two six-year-old daughters are likely to be watching from there.

(Geez, I wish I could go this year!!! )
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
As far as bars go, Bourbon Street is the place to be. I've been to New Orleans eight times in the past six months, and even on a Sunday night in January, Bourbon Street is still hopping. There's something on Bourbon Street for everyone, from drunken karaoke at the Cats Meow, to a more upscale crowd at the Olde Absinthe Bar. Just make sure you don't go past St. Ann St...unless you're into that sort of stuff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.