Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heading to Orlando in complete ignorance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
On a Tuesday in early January, you should have your choice of places to go. However, since the Disney Marathon is this weekend, there may be some residual crowds.

What are your interests? Types of rides you like? When it's uncrowded the time you have should allow you to see just about everything in a park. If you're alone, some rides have single rider lines that will speed it up for you in the unlikely event it's crowded.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Mary2e
What are your interests? Types of rides you like?
Honestly it's been a long time since I tried any of this stuff so I'm not sure. I'm not the type of guy who would plan a trip to see an amusement park, but since I'll be there anyway, I want to try something.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Then I can only suggest you pick one park from either Disney or Universal. You should have plenty of time to see the whole thing.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:45 am

To Dovester- welcome to my hometown. I have nothing to add to the excellent advice already given. I should be in town that weekend if you do want to do a mini-DO or just need a guide around town.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
To Dovester- welcome to my hometown. I have nothing to add to the excellent advice already given. I should be in town that weekend if you do want to do a mini-DO or just need a guide around town.
Either one would be great. I always enjoy meeting FTers in any city.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If anyone is as geeky as me and hasn't gone to the Kennedy Space Center yet, I highly recommend it if you find yourself with a spare day in MCO. (Especially if the amusement parks are partially shut down for maintenance or marathons as was the case earlier this week.)

One of their tours currently allows you to enter the disused side of the vehicle assembly plant, marvel at the size of the internal space and get within 20 feet of the partially stripped Endeavour Orbiter. That one stop on the tour made the drive out to KSC and back worthwhile for me, but there is also a fair bit of other stuff to see. The restored half finished Apollo 18 is pretty impressive and some of the Mercury and Gemini capsules are definitely worth seeing.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
My situation also fits the thread title, I'll be in Orlando Sunday and Monday nights (staying at the I-Drive Radisson on an award stay). I'm busy during the day on Sunday and Monday, but have all of Tuesday morning and afternoon uncommitted before my evening flight home.

What do you think is the best park or attraction you can do in 6-8 hours on a Tuesday (I'll have a car)? Is there anything remarkable to do in the evenings (not doable in most US cities)?
Well, one park day is about $80. If that does not put you off, pick whichever Disney park looks best to you online. Get there as early as possible.

Or if you are a Harry Potter fan, Universal's take on Hogwarts/Hogsmeade is most impressive.

And don't forget to get your 9000 point rebate on the Radisson I-Drive (and give us a review). Free hotel!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17807136-post1.html
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Great thread. The Golfer and I will be in Orlando from the 23rd to the 30th. For, surprise, the PGA show.
Any suggestions for day trips? We've got a few days built in to kick back for the theme parks, but I'll have the days mostly to myself.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WIRunner
Great thread. The Golfer and I will be in Orlando from the 23rd to the 30th. For, surprise, the PGA show.
Any suggestions for day trips? We've got a few days built in to kick back for the theme parks, but I'll have the days mostly to myself.
When the going gets tough, the tough usually like to do some shopping.

Here are some places if this interests you...

Millenia Mall - upscale shopping

http://www.mallatmillenia.com/

Outlet Malls - For more down-to-earth prices, check out the two outlet malls. One is on International Drive, the other is closer to Buena Vista/Disney Marketplace...

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=96

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=17
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
When the going gets tough, the tough usually like to do some shopping.

Here are some places if this interests you...

Millenia Mall - upscale shopping

http://www.mallatmillenia.com/

Outlet Malls - For more down-to-earth prices, check out the two outlet malls. One is on International Drive, the other is closer to Buena Vista/Disney Marketplace...

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=96

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlets/outlet.asp?id=17
Sadly, last day of vacation was yesterday. Flew home last night. I really want to go back

I did find the Millenia mall. I also unfortunately found the Festival Bay mall.
I walked around the outlets by the Festival Bay mall, but they weren't anything really interesting.

Our hotel was the Hyatt Place by Kirkman and Major Blvd, so we were within walking distance to Universal, and spent plenty of time there.

I was surprised at the small size of the art museum. I needed a place to get away from kids, and although I was right, there wasn't much on display. I guess the Milwaukee and Chicago mueseums have spoiled me.

Next year I think during one of my free days I'll get down to Tampa. I remember as a kid there was a beach in Tampa Bay that we always went to. I'll have to see if I can find anything on that.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:53 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
It looks like I will be in Orlando over the same dates (Mar. 3rd-6th). Unfortunately, my daughter and I will be over at Universal, staying at the Royal Pacific and we won't have a car.

But if anyone ends up at Universal let me know. And while I won't let Dovster anywhere close to my daughter as she's only 16 and much to impressionable , I'm more than willing to meet at the City Walk for dinner one evening.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
It looks like I will be in Orlando over the same dates (Mar. 3rd-6th). Unfortunately, my daughter and I will be over at Universal, staying at the Royal Pacific and we won't have a car.

But if anyone ends up at Universal let me know. And while I won't let Dovster anywhere close to my daughter as she's only 16 and much to impressionable , I'm more than willing to meet at the City Walk for dinner one evening.
See my response in the other thread. I have a car and am willing to meet anywhere. You need not be afraid of my being with your daughter until:

1. At least 5 more years have passed.
2. I know that you will not be within shooting distance of us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.