Community
Wiki Posts
Search

multiple airline itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

multiple airline itinerary?

Hey I am kind of new at this so need help. Sorry if this has been previously discussed but couldn't find it and am terribly confused.

I'm trying to fly from TUS to BOG in January. Orbitz has the cheapest flights by far but the ticket includes multiple airlines (United and Continental) that are not in the same alliance. I gather that this is called interlining, but I'm not sure how this works in practive.

If I checked in with United would they also issue me the tickets for continental? When I arrive in Houston on United would I need to pick up the bags and then re-check them to BOG on Continental?

Since I am only flying domestically on United but then internationally on Continental would I get charged a baggage fee by United?

What about when flying back on Continental? Would I need to pick up the bags from Customs in Houston and then lug them all the way up to the United check in desK?

Please explain how tickets work if there are multiple unrelated airlines.thanks so much for any help.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Since the airlines are not in the same alliance, they almost certainly will not be able to issue each other's boarding passes. So, on the outbound, you'd get your United boarding passes at TUS, and your Continental boarding passes at IAH.

You can through-check your bags all the way from TUS to BOG. Most major airlines (with the exception of the low-cost carriers like Southwest) have interline baggage agreements that allow them to check bags through to your final destination. Not only do the airlines not have to be in the same alliance, all of your segments don't even need to be on the same reservation.

So, once you get to Houston on the outbound, you'd just need to get to CO to check in for your flight but you don't have to handle your bags. You'd arrive at Terminal A, and your CO flight will depart from Terminal E. The above-ground train that goes between terminals behind security doesn't go to A. There may be a bus that allows you to transfer to the other terminals without re-clearing security (any terminal will do, then take the above-ground train to E) and then you could check in at the departure gate or at a service counter. Or, you can leave security and take the underground train from A to E (just under 1 mile), and check in at the regular int'l check-in and clear security.

On the way back, you can through-check your bags all the way to TUS. But, you'll have to claim your bags and take them through Customs inspection whether they're through-checked or not. Then, if you have them through-checked, you can give them back before leaving the Customs area and they'll go on to TUS. Or, you can check them just to IAH and then manually check them in to TUS with UA after clearing Customs.

Also, if you through-check bags, you should be aware that the final carrier is responsible for any damaged or missing bag issues, regardless of who's at fault. For example, let's say that you get to BOG and your bag isn't there. You'd file a claim with CO and CO would be responsible for taking care of you, including paying your claim if they never show up, even if they establish internally that they never got the bag from UA.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
As this is not really a mileage issue, I'm going to automatically transfer your thread to a better forum. While a number of questions arise, since you are using Orbitz, I'll place it in Flyertalk's Online Travel Booking area.

Welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:15 pm

My experience has mirrored what Steve M said.... with multi airline bookings made on 3rd party sites.... in my case on Expedia. I have invariably had to go to the next airlines counter for a Boarding Pass.... while the bags were checked for the first flight.. tagged all the way and only retrieved for customs clearance at the destination... (or first port of call in that country as the case may be)

I have always managed however to keep all airlines used to one alliance.... but I really don't think that is a critical difference...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:32 am
Original Poster

another question

So on the outbound will United charge me the $15 luggage fee because I am only flying on them domestically and then switching to another airline? What about on the return? Thank you for the help.

Also, I think in order to avoid having to check in with the second airline I'm flying when I connect in Houston, I could just check in online with them before I leave home...right?

Finally, is it common that baggage gets messed up when interlining? I have only interlined once before many years ago and on both the inbound and the outbound flights my bags failed to arrive and showed up many days later. I figured that was because it's a pain for airlines to handle interline baggage and ensure they get to the right flights...
Old Dec 20, 2008, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Something I forgot to ask

What if there's a weather or mechanical snafu? Which airline is responsible for getting me to my final destination when I am flying interline? Or is it Orbitz's job to do that?
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flamebot20
What if there's a weather or mechanical snafu? Which airline is responsible for getting me to my final destination when I am flying interline? Or is it Orbitz's job to do that?
Certainly not the one you are talking to.

This is the one case where travel insurance is really beneficial.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 10:14 am

Hi, I have a similar situation but in my case I have multiple non-alliance airlines on multiple tickets.

I will be traveling from RDU to SIN later this year with about seven hours layover in JFK.
I will fly American Airlines from RDU to JFK (tickets bought direct from AA website).
I will fly Singapore Airlines from JFK to SIN (tickets bought direct from SIA website).

My understanding after reading the FAQ and this forum/ thread is I will have to pay for baggage fees since the AA and SIA tickes are on different tickets though I will definitely ask/ try for waiver.

Now my question is:
Can I still through-check my baggage all the way to SIN when checking in in RDU even though the SIA tickets are on different PNR?
-or-
Do I have to claim my baggage when arriving in JFK and re-checking them in again via Singapore Airlines check in counters?

Thank you in advance for any input.

Update:
Sent AA an email and received written/email response stating I am allowed two checked bags and they can be through-check all the way to final destination. All I need to do is provide copy of SIA tickets to AA RDU agents. Appreciate if anyone can confirm this (would not want to get any surprise when the time comes).

Last edited by internetanah; Aug 25, 2009 at 12:38 pm Reason: Follow-up
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: FB Plat
Changing Itinerary

Hope this is the right place for this post...

I booked a Tkt on JAL, YUL-BKK and am now on my way back to YUL. My routing is via NRT and ORD. My plans have changed and am not going to YUL anymore and need to go to IAH. I've booked a seperate reservation with American Airlines, ORD-IAH.

My question is: 1) can I present my seperate itinerary, ORD-IAH, at the JAL counter in BKK and ask them to check my luggage from ORD to IAH instead of YUL and 2) give me a boarding pass ORD-IAH? I'm trying to avoid, rechecking my luggage at ORD and baggage fees on AA (I'll have two MASSIVE pieces!).

Given JAL and AA are in the same alliance, I assume this should be alright, but JAL customer service tells me otherwise. Though, experience tells me what happens over the phone and at the airport can be very different!

Any insight? Can I avoid rechecking and baggage fees at ORD?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this isn't the right place for this!
Old Apr 19, 2016, 5:56 am

Does anybody have a definite answer to my question: If I book on Expedia an international flight from Philadelphia to Kenya using multiple airlines, will my baggage be checked all the way through and all I have to do is pick it up when I arrive in Kenya? Thank you.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by tellyjan
f I book on Expedia an international flight from Philadelphia to Kenya using multiple airlines, will my baggage be checked all the way through and all I have to do is pick it up when I arrive in Kenya?
In short: That depends on the Airlines and the mood/competence of the staff manning the check-in desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.