Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

My post @ BFT about someone commercializing BFT information on EBAY removed by Sheryl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My post @ BFT about someone commercializing BFT information on EBAY removed by Sheryl

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:24 pm
sy7

Originally Posted by ozstamps
And whilst I am typing, I did ask on BFT this week whether PL now charges $US12.76 per booking, but did not get a reply as to whether that was correct.

http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...icID=525.topic

Can anyone HERE please shed some light on it. Post was:

"At the rate of $138 a night for two nights, the room charges were $276.00. Priceline added $40.36 in taxes and fees so the grand total was $316.36 for two nights."

And GST tax is a flat 10% AFAIK, so it seemed to me that PL took $12.76. But math was never my strong point.
Priceline seems to charge a sliding fee based on the total cost of the hotel nights you are bidding for. The minimum fee (eg for a 1* $20 bid) tends to be $6-7. However, if you are bidding for 1 night at $200/night, the fee increases to >$10. I guess priceline figures that you can afford a higher fee if you are willing to bid at high prices!

Also, if you are bidding for 2 cheap rooms together at $50 each, the fee will probably be less than if you are bidding for one $200 room.

The fee you quoted seems high, so maybe priceline has recently increased the fee algorithm.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Thanks sy7

Well being a cheapskate the 100+ of PL rooms I have secured have all been in the lower end of the scale I guess.

And I thought (wrongly it seems?) that there was a flat PL fee per booking whether room cost you $50 or $500 a night. Like a flat $6.95 or $7.95 or whatever a booking.

Glad you pointed this out as I was about to look at Germany where rooms are not always so cheap.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:08 pm

Thanks sy7

Well being a cheapskate the 100+ of PL rooms I have secured have all been in the lower end of the scale I guess.

And I thought (wrongly it seems?) that there was a flat PL fee per booking whether room cost you $50 or $500 a night. Like a flat $6.95 or $7.95 or whatever a booking.

Glad you pointed this out as I was about to look at Germany where rooms are not always so cheap.
Used to be $5.95 per booking, but that changed to combine taxes and fees together. By doing this you can now never find out exactly what priceline paid for the room and in essence how much you "overpaid". Under the old system you could reverse engineer your taxes to find the exact amount PL paid for the room.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Yes, that's right, $5.95 was a nice flat rate. ^

This I got for Seattle Doubletree and clearly the base fee itself must be a lot more than $5.95 now:

Your Offer Price: $36.00
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Nights: 1
Subtotal: $36.00
Taxes & Service Fees:
$12.44

Total Charges: $48.44

Does their fee really increase in $$$ on the higher priced rooms?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Yes, that's right, $5.95 was a nice flat rate. ^

This I got for Seattle Doubletree and clearly the base fee itself must be a lot more than $5.95 now:

Your Offer Price: $36.00
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Nights: 1
Subtotal: $36.00
Taxes & Service Fees:
$12.44

Total Charges: $48.44

Does their fee really increase in $$$ on the higher priced rooms?
IMHO at least in Europe they would be forced to reveal what is the amount of REAL taxes. I do not mind them charging a service fee but I should know how much it really is.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:46 am

Priceline fees

This topic has steered from what's in the header, but: when taxes and fees were first bundled in 2003, people figured it was something like the local tax rate + 2.25% + $4.50. For low one-night bids, it could have been a reduction from the previous $5.95. They've raised the fees since this, but they probably still mix a percentage and a flat amount. PL also pockets what would have been the tax on the amount of an overbid over their price. Some bids can cover several jurisdictions with different tax rates; presumably PL posts taxes and fees based on the highest tax rate possible in the zones and pockets the difference if you get in the place with the lower rate. PL may dip into their fee for some bids lower than their wholesale price.

Also, with some brands, I've had pretty good luck getting hotel program points for PL stays, and the number of points reveals the true PL rate.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 6:07 am

Rove
You said what I was thinking("This topic has steered from what's in the header"). So I think it's time to closae this one down. People looking for the information that you are sharing may miss it, if they are not interested in the subject matter here.
Plus, this thread has gone all over the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.