Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Orbitz "VIP" perks for platinum members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2016, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Anyone ever book a hotel on Orbitz with that purple VIP icon? I booked hard rock San Diego and it said perks could be free wifi,waived resort fee or free breakfast.
Orbitz charged the resort fee at booking which includes wifi. I reached out to hard rock on social media but they didn't reply, however Expedia did. After some dialogue they stated I was charged a discounted resort fee for being platinum.
I was charged $25+ tax, where as the resort fee is actually $23!? Expedia since has gone silence when I documented this information(surprise surprise)

Used orbitz a bunch due to their 20%-25% coupons / 5% orbucks but they Only do 15% now and their brg is no longer as good as it used to be.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Mrdeals805
Anyone ever book a hotel on Orbitz with that purple VIP icon? I booked hard rock San Diego and it said perks could be free wifi,waived resort fee or free breakfast.
Orbitz charged the resort fee at booking which includes wifi. I reached out to hard rock on social media but they didn't reply, however Expedia did. After some dialogue they stated I was charged a discounted resort fee for being platinum.
I was charged $25+ tax, where as the resort fee is actually $23!? Expedia since has gone silence when I documented this information(surprise surprise)

Used orbitz a bunch due to their 20%-25% coupons / 5% orbucks but they Only do 15% now and their brg is no longer as good as it used to be.
Expedia or Orbitz?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Expedia or Orbitz?
It's all the same company. Rooms are always noted as booked through Expedia when you get to the motel. Monopolies can get away with almost anything.

That said, this sounds more like sleazy Las Vegas hotel standard procedure.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's all the same company. Rooms are always noted as booked through Expedia when you get to the motel. Monopolies can get away with almost anything.

That said, this sounds more like sleazy Las Vegas hotel standard procedure.
I know they have the same ownership, but I find some differences between them. I prefer Orbitz.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Booked thru orbitz and tweeted the hard rock saying orbitz had the VIP note... Didn't at orbitz but Expedia Twitter then reached out.. They went silent after I showed them that not only did I NOT get a discounted resort fee, I was actually charged a higher resort fee.... Apparently VIP at orbitz means you pay more.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 9:56 pm

I used to bother looking at Orbitz for hotels, but in my experience it proved a waste of time.
Also, those Orbucks are limited on how many you can collect.
In a week I had reached the maximum...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Maybe not new, but I just noticed I could get a free Lounge Buddy pass and spend up to $50 on things like inflight WiFi and get reimbursed by Orbitz as a Platinum member...that's a pretty nice perk!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Maybe not new, but I just noticed I could get a free Lounge Buddy pass and spend up to $50 on things like inflight WiFi and get reimbursed by Orbitz as a Platinum member...that's a pretty nice perk!
That is a decent perk. The free TSA Pre is nice also if you do not already have it through a CC.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Anyone figured out what the phone nr for Platinum members is?

It always say's it's under "benefits" but I don't see any number listed there.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:09 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Platinum Airline Fee Rebate Question

Does anyone know if the Platinum reimbursement can be done after purchase but before travel? I want to purchase/apply a seat upgrade reimbursement now, but my flight is in January. Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Does anyone know if the Platinum reimbursement can be done after purchase but before travel? I want to purchase/apply a seat upgrade reimbursement now, but my flight is in January. Thanks.
This is a good question. I just learned about these platinum benefits.

I was wondering if they’ll cover an airline change fee as that’s what I would like to do with my $50 credit. I think it’s also cool they’ll let you have over $50 In orbucks
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Apparently they do not reimburse fees for “change fees.” They’re also not very helpful at all as they kept insisting I submit a “physical receipt.” An e-mail or credit card statement would not suffice.

What airline issues a physical receipt for wi-fi purchased on board??
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Don't go out of your way to earn Orbitz Platinum. It has taken multiple attempts (form submission, chat, phone call) for me to get my $50 reimbursement, and they are still pushing back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.