Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

GERMANY - what OTA do you recommend?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Hi

What are your favourite Online Travel Agencies (Flight seach engines) in Germany?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Expedia.de does a good job.

Everything else I know has considerably higher risk. I frequently book dirt cheap tickets with opodo.de/edreams.de, but I wouldn't count on them if there's a problem with the booking.

Regarding Flight search engines, the usual suspects used in Europe are quite good.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 3:27 pm

I assume you are considering OTAs not for additional service but for cheaper tickets.
I just use google flights and look at the prices. Unless OTAs have significant savings over the airline, I don't use them. OTAs and airlines just love playing the blame game whenever something goes wrong.
Most of them are trying to upsell stuff like travel insurance (some harder than others), or are charging a lot for trivial features that are free or much cheaper when booked with the airline directly (meal choice, seat selection, name correction, cancellation, ...).
Expedia.de is definitely among the better ones, they actually step up and try to help you if something happens, many others have spotty support at best. Avoid fluege.de and their associates. They are borderline scammers and had several run-ins with consumer law.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: LH SEN, UA 1K, A3*G, AR Platino, BA Gold
Both Unister (Flueche.de, Airlinedirect.de etc) and Odigeo Group (edreams/opodo) do offer some really cheap flights and awesome discounts.

But if you actually need help Expedia.de offers the best service. Their agents are well trained and know their job. Expedia doesn't offer any real discounts but they don't cheat (no aggressive sales of useless insurances, no hidden fees) which makes them great to book certain fares which are not bookable through the airline as well as Error Fares.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Another thing to be wary of with German OTAs is credit card fees. Some of them are seriously fierce.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
The most common problem with OTAs are baggage fees.
Often these fees are much higher (when booked through the OTA), than booking it directly on the airline website.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:41 am

I would certainly go with expedia.de . Secure and easy.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dekaneas1976
I would certainly go with expedia.de . Secure and easy.
+1. Too many of the others are just downright dodgy on the customer service side.

In fact, I tend to avoid German OTAs and book direct with airlines.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
+1. Too many of the others are just downright dodgy on the customer service side.
Confirmed again. I just wanted to book a flight on Opodo (I know the risk of doing so very well) and they put my booking on "hold". So I can't book somewhere else, but they won't yet go thru with it, claiming that a (IMHO invented) problem with the payment method has been detected.

Edit: The payment was accepted after all.

Last edited by WorldLux; Nov 25, 2016 at 2:38 am
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Confirmed again. I just wanted to book a flight on Opodo (I know the risk of doing so very well) and they put my booking on "hold". So I can't book somewhere else, but they won't yet go thru with it, claiming that a (IMHO invented) problem with the payment method has been detected.

Edit: The payment was accepted after all.
You were lucky. A "problem with the payment method" usually means they are going to hike the price up.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:21 pm

You were lucky.
I'm well aware of that*. I hate Opodo, but their discounts (when paying with an Entropay) are just too attractive to pass on. On all the tickets I have booked so far with them, they had to pay the airline more. That's basically the only reason I book with them.

E.g. The flight I booked today was 140€ with them. I pay ~147€ (after the Entropay charging fee has bee included). Opodo paid the airline 200€.

*I book non-rebookable tickets where I know that the chances of getting flight cancelations are slim to none.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:14 pm
Suspended

I'm well aware of that*. I hate Opodo, but their discounts (when paying with an Entropay) are just too attractive to pass on. On all the tickets I have booked so far with them, they had to pay the airline more. That's basically the only reason I book with them.

E.g. The flight I booked today was 140€ with them. I pay ~147€ (after the Entropay charging fee has bee included). Opodo paid the airline 200€.

*I book non-rebookable tickets where I know that the chances of getting flight cancelations are slim to none.
Not bad going. Were you hit for a credit card payment fee?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 4:56 pm

Not bad going. Were you hit for a credit card payment fee?
No. The only credit card "fee" results from charging the Entropay Visa. They take 4.95%. Opodo limits the use to 1 booking per 3 month (a big no no in the eyes of customer rights). Initially their system could be bypassed by using an iPad (or by having your browser simulate an iPad - which most internet browser offer to developers to test their mobile websites).

Now their system is much more vigorously and blocks not only my Entropay card, but also the Entropay card of my SO (Another big no no in the eyes of consumer rights).
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:51 pm
Suspended

No. The only credit card "fee" results from charging the Entropay Visa. They take 4.95%. Opodo limits the use to 1 booking per 3 month (a big no no in the eyes of customer rights). Initially their system could be bypassed by using an iPad (or by having your browser simulate an iPad - which most internet browser offer to developers to test their mobile websites).

Now their system is much more vigorously and blocks not only my Entropay card, but also the Entropay card of my SO (Another big no no in the eyes of consumer rights).
Thoroughly shady. I'll stick with the airlines or reputable overseas OTAs.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:47 am

I am not sure I agree. The service of the carriers is usually worse than the OTAs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.