Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Multi-city flight tickets without fixed date for second leg

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Hi Friends,
I am planning to buy a multi-city flight ticket for my wife from San Franciso to Chenna (First leg), and then Chennai to Toronto (2nd leg). But I do not know exactly when my would be able to take the second leg as she does not have the visa for Canada.
1. Is there any way I can buy a multi-city flight ticker with open ended 2nd leg dates?
2. How about buying multi-city ticket with a specified date for the second leg and change the date later.
3. Any travel insurance to cover the change of ticket date changes.

I am planning to buy it online (Priceline or Expedia).
Thanks in-advance.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No airline will accept No. 1. You need to go for No. 2 and pay the applicable change fee + any upfare if the booking class is no longer available/a higher booking class is needed. It may turn out to very expensive and it may be cheaper to wait buying the ticket until the return dates are fixed.

You need to familiarise yourself with the fare rules for the return flight before you book.

The costs would not be covered under any travel insurance that I know of.

I would skip Priceline or Exp. and book directly with the airline if possible - in particular if you know that you will have to change the ticket afterwards.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
At least look at two one-way tickets before committing yourself to the change fees. Sometimes the one-ways aren't prohibitively expensive.

Change fees probably vary by airline, but you should determine the amount before you purchase if you opt for that method.

If your wife has any miles accumulated, sometimes one-way mileage tickets can be obtained.

The airport code for Chennai is MAA. You can do all sorts of interesting research on http://matrix.itasoftware.com or Google flight search.

Do look at various airports in the San Francisco area if they will work for you - SFO, OAK and SJC. Sometimes there can be surprising differences in the rates for departing from different airports.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that some countries require a ticket before one can apply for a visa. Other places require proof of onward travel, meaning a reservation and ticket receipt, for entry.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 31, 2016 at 9:13 am Reason: Typo
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
MSPeconomist's post make some really good points. Do check those things out.

Romelle
Old Aug 7, 2016, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input. I have followed the price fluctuation and found out a cheap ticket with Singapore airlines ($535, 3 days ago it was $660). I was surprised to see the price reduction in flight ticket all of a sudden. Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.