Wiki Posts
Search

Online travel sites vs. Agencies?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
Bakpapier, there are agency and membership benefit programs
work best for inexpensive short stays (dont reward expensive stays)

"net" fares/rates are only available via agents/etc

and both of those things 'pay' agent, rather than client paying agent

Sorry, but what do you mean with 'net fares' ?

As for an agency benefit program, I assume that you mean cheaper fares which can be booked only through agents. Well those are also often bookable through various OTAs (online travel agents).

Again I see absolutely no reason why anyone (ecept someone who simply has no clue what the internet is or how it works, not many people these days) would use a physical Travel Agent, except in extremely specific circumstances where the trip is just not bookable through normal means. Such as visiting a highly restrictive country or a very inaccessible place or something, or a ticket with very special needs (visit North Korea, go to Svalbard, a ticket for a very large group of people/charter, have to bring some exceptional luggage, disabled people etc.). And to be honest I think even most of that is bookable online nowadays.

I actually happened to see a KLM travel agent building in a large city here the other day. I was very surprised that those still exist. Go walk around my middle-sized town here and you will have a lot of trouble finding a physical travel agent. In fact travel agents are mostly located in 'ghettos' here and cater to the immigrant population, people who often speak/read/write no Dutch (or English) and thus have to book through a TA.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"consolidators" etc and contracted offerings
"net" are almost always not allowed to be booked online

benefits are totally different, nothing to do with deals
although there can be deals available through agencies
some operators claim to be business-to-business only

forget "physical" - anyone can use an agent anywhere, via email etc
many agents work at home, independent "hosted" agents, etc

why use OTA? book direct, negotiate, etc

generalizations ignore different markets

arguments claiming 'no one' 'never' etc are not good arguments

some of us dont care what the booking channel is, we look at each booking individually, for that particular booking, if one channel offers an advantage over others, we will use that channel

regardless of price level, there are always things like "referral spend" - someone who brings a lot of revenue to a supplier, will have an advantageous relationship with that supplier, that can sometimes benefit their clients

some people are very successful negotiating directly with suppliers, no middle man
it is very easy to negotiate your own corporate (~50 nights a year) or long term rates

some people do not want to do things themselves, and use agents (for free)

edit >

many accommodations do not have online booking, at all
ive booked those, as well as talked to hotel re occupancy, room (not category), etc

there are other threads on this, im sure worldspan will comment more

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jun 15, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Silver,Hilton Honors Gold
Red face

Only further comment to be made is that like most things in life, "what goes around comes around."! Today's traditional brick and mortar agents are laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by worldspan
Only further comment to be made is that like most things in life, "what goes around comes around."! Today's traditional brick and mortar agents are laughing all the way to the bank.
yeah, including at the expense of their clients sometimes..

i would actually prefer paying high fees (to agent) instead of agent "selling"
Old Jun 17, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by worldspan

Travel agent employment has dropped 50% since 2000. BLS expects it to drop another 10-15% over the next decade, with wages stagnant to declining.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123

Travel agent employment has dropped 50% since 2000. BLS expects it to drop another 10-15% over the next decade, with wages stagnant to declining.
they may be talking exclusively about higher end
absolutely enormous and growth industry in US
(although cruise/tour are not limited to high end)

agencies different outside US, but top arent dropping

a number of the luxury agents on FT do not use GDS
younger agents & hosted agents likely use GDS less

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 26, 2017 at 8:36 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.