Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

How to resolve a complaint with Hotels.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Do you know which agency I can deal with to resolve my problem and complaint against Hotels.com?

I wanted to book hotel in London and found two different prices displayed by hotels.com in two different sites. Thus I called them and did the booking through their agent whom was not clearly not efficient (he was about to book another room type for me). He confirmed the dates and room type over the phone then deducted fully the amount from my bank account.

I had to cancel this trip and I found that the deal done from his side was non-refundable while I didn't ask for it. I called the call center (which is in india) and had to talk to four different people trying to complain without any use . I was not given complaint email or track number or customer complaint department number .

I had to call the corporate office in Dallas, after few days I received a call from a staff who claimed that the escalation team told him they listened to the agent informing me of the price being non-refundable. I insisted this did not happen and asked them to send me this part of the record and an official response . He told me he will get back to me next day and this case has been pending for 9 days. He did not share his number, or complain number or any thing.

I tried to call the same number but I couldn't and I posted a complaint on the feedback email without getting a response

The amount is $2000 and I am sure I was not told that this deal is non-refundable and don't know what to do?

This is the worst company ever to deal with. I heard weird feedback from the call center agents like (it is your mistake that you did not inform the agent that you wanted refundable price ).. (since you didn't call us immediately after the deal is completed we can't do any thing for you )
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Being a little dramatic saying it's the worst company ever to deal with. I've had rather good results with Hotels.com customer service. I understand you're frustrated and 2000$ is not a small amount of money but things do take time.

Where are you located as that will determine what organizations you can use to help resolve your issue.

You did request a specific rate which would have conditions. Lower price typically means more and more restrictions.

Hopefully getting the recording will resolve this situation.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What sort of hotel was it and how many nights/how many people? $2000 sounds like a lot for a normal stay unless it's a top hotel.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:47 am

Angry Beware Of Hotels.com

DO NOT CALL THE CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTS AT HOTELS.COM AND EXPECT THEM TO HELP YOU!! These people are horrible to work with, Crummy attitudes like teenage kids and often taunt you when you're upset. Also, DO NOT CALL THEM UPSET AND REQUEST TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER, Its even worse!! Good luck.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Dispute it with your credit card.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems to have been done as a debit or direct transfer from the OP's bank account. We don't know the OP's location, but it might be in a place that doesn't have reasonable customer protection regulations.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Who knows what this is about or whether there might be something to dispute.

If OP wants to lay out the facts in a clear and concise manner, he might get some advice here. Otherwise, this is just a rant.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Small Claims Court
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: QF WP
I tend to send emails

a) means everything is by definition in writing
b) can be sat on and edited prior to sending meaning it can be emotionless and therefore no possibility to get wound up by a phone agent and not have a response already prepared
strickerj likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:58 pm

Hotels.com

An untrustworthy company. Having assured me in writing at the time of a booking that I could cancel up to a couple of days before the reserved date free of charge, and, when I did cancel (outside that time), having assured me in writing (via their website chatbot that I would get a full refund of US 890, they are now being evasive. They are ignoring the written assurances I received, and are saying that it is up to the hotel in question whether I get any refund.

I find their behaviour dishonest and infuriating, and would advise others never to use them.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If it has been more than a week do a charge back via your CC. Your booking will list the cancelation policy and your cancelation email will show your cancelation before that time.

Originally Posted by BB7070
An untrustworthy company. Having assured me in writing at the time of a booking that I could cancel up to a couple of days before the reserved date free of charge, and, when I did cancel (outside that time), having assured me in writing (via their website chatbot that I would get a full refund of US 890, they are now being evasive. They are ignoring the written assurances I received, and are saying that it is up to the hotel in question whether I get any refund.

I find their behaviour dishonest and infuriating, and would advise others never to use them.
Old May 12, 2019, 9:48 am

My advice is to contact the hotel directly to see if you can alter the dates even if you have to pay a little more. Get that person's contact info if they say yes and then call hotels.com with that person's contact info. It's a hassle and can take an hour or two to straighten out, but it's how I've been able to get resolution for a hotel stay that was booked as unrefundable. Hotels.com just wants to make sure that they get their cut. If you get a hotel that wants to be nice then they might be willing to do this. I've had success twice previously, but please keep in mind that the hotel has every right to deny your request. I would try to be as friendly as possible and hope you get someone in a good mood. Meaning... maybe don't call on a day and time when they're at their busiest.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It seems to have been done as a debit or direct transfer from the OP's bank account.
In Europe:
Direct debits can be reversed/chargeback without any reason within 8 weeks after the original charge. It extends to 13 months if the merchant cannot present a written SEPA debit authorization.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:36 pm

I highly recommend you go to www.elliott.org. This is a great advocay group very familar with travel companies and FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.