Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia.com.br refuse to cancel ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond

Booked an EF on TK through Expedia.com.br.
There was a schedule change of 20 minutes and I no longer want to go, so I'd like to get a refund if possible.

I have a 20 minute schedule change, TK says I can get a full refund (everything over 15 minutes, "according to IATA rules"), but it would need to go through the TA.

Called Expedia Brasil and they claim it would need to be more than four hours, otherwise it's considered a minor schedule change and that does not make the ticket refundable. That's what their system says.

TK says they're stupid and that they should read the IATA rules, but Expedia Brasil refuse to call TK.
They also do not give out an email adress.

I'm feeling a bit helpless now.
What would you do?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Read the terms and conditions of the Expedia.com.br ticket that was sold to you. They can override TK's conditions not in your favor.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
20 minutes? Really?

I'm on Expedia's side on this one. That's too little to make a real difference, and I think you are trying to weasel your way out if a purchase you wish you hadn't made.

You can try to find a way to let TK take control of your ticket and have them cancel it. I'm surprised TK will actually refund with that little change, though.

Good luck, dude.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I tried the same recently. Exp refused to cancel/refund because the schedule change (on Jetairways/9W) was less than 2 hours. I didn't pursue it further as I'm ok with the schedule change (but gave it a shot to get a refund as I'm able to find a better fare on a different carrier now)

The OP can't bypass Exp and deal with TK directly when it comes to refund. TK can/will refund to Exp only.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
SOLUTION

SOLUTION

Ok, I did get this sorted out. Maybe a moderator could add "[SOLVED]" to the title or so?

Here's how:

I contacted TK at

INFOBRASIL <replacethiswith@> THY <dot> COM

There I was in contact with a very friendly lady (I can give you her name via PM if necessary) who was simply fantastic.
She was very helpful and finally gave me written confirmation of the cancellation rules:

In case of schedule change more than 15 minutes, Turkish Airlines authorizes full refund of the ticket if the change was not accepted by the passenger. The refund request must be made before departure of the flight.
But she, too, told me Expedia would have to cancel the ticket.
I then told her that there is no way to contact Expedia Brazil via email or even mail (they didn't want to contact TK either), and that they refuse to cancel the ticket over the phone because their version of the fare rules don't allow cancellations.
And that I would have my credit card company do a chargeback (which they had already promised me to do, I would only have to provide written documentation of the issue).

That helped - she said she'd contact Expedia (I guess it also helped that I spoke to TK's Brazil office...).
Less than half an hour later I received an email from Expedia (in Portuguese) telling me to call them urgently because of my reservation.

You call Expedia Brazil at the following number:

001-9493334964

Then press 3, then she will ask you for your booking number (something about "itinerario"), then wait until they say something again, then press 1.
(That's what my Brazilian friend told me, anyway.)

The agent again refused to cancel the ticket because of the fare rules and wouldn't believe me, just like before.
But when I mentioned the email telling me to call them "urgently", he had a look somewhere else and found the confirmation from TK that the ticket had now become refundable!

He put me on hold for a few minutes and when he came back, my ticket was cancelled.
He even gave me a confirmation number for the cancellation, but it already shows up as cancelled both on Expedia and the TK website.

So now I'm just waiting for the refund... He said it could take up to eight weeks.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:14 pm

Thank you so much for your information.

We have exactly same situation, want to return tickets. Could you please say name of that fantastic woman from Brazil office of TK who helped you. Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited by office; Jan 18, 2016 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

I sent you a PM.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:39 am

Smile TK lady

Yes i received thank you.. I thought you can tell me name bcoz i want to send an email exactly to this person. Many thanks
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Receiving is not enough, you have to actually read the message, too.
I gave you her name in the message, that was only one sentence to read.
Now I even sent you her name again.
Jeez...
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Wow. I wish US airlines allow cancellations for 15 minute schedule changes.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:41 pm

This post was VERY helpful - hopefully will receive a refund within 8 weeks for a TA flight. All information still valid as at today 03/03 including this phone number for Expedia.br,
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:26 am

I have to share an extremely bad experience. Called to change the date of 2 PNRs with exactly the same itinerary, which was authorized by the airline in both casesd due to schedule change.

For one reservation expedia.com.br has reissued to the wrong date for the other it was correct. I have called them several times and they admitted their error and promised to fix it.

However on the 4th call they started telling me that it was TK who reissued the tickets on behalf of Expedia, and they could not do anything.

Now TK has sent me the information that they authorized the change for the requested correct date for both PNR and that it was Expedia who made the reissue. It is not possible to reissue a second time since it was already authorized by TK once. Anything I can do here? I believe both parties keep blaming each other.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Send an email to the friendly lady at TK Brazil, email address above.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:45 am

Already in contact. She is friendly indeed, she just sent me the confirmation that the request was for the correct date and she also sent me an screenshot from the TK computer system where it is clearly visible that Expedia had reissued the ticket. Clearly Expedia is lying to me. Unbelievable

However she is sticking to the rule that only one reissue is allowed and that she cannot do anything.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Sorry, then I don't really have a good suggestion.
Maybe try to find someone who speaks Portuguese and ask them to call Expedia and clear this up?
I'd expect them to have recorded the conversation, maybe someone can listen to the tapes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.