Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Hotwire?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Help with Hotwire?

Hi,

I recently booked a Hotel through Hotwire; however, when I arrived at the hotel the power was out and had been out for hours and I was unable to check in. Hotwire is refusing to refund my purchase, claiming that the power outage was out of the hotel's control and therefor I am not entitled to a refund. Is this kosher? I paid for a room under the assumption the hotel would be able to provide one, and it wasn't, whether or not the hotel had control over the power outage.

Any thoughts on how to approach getting a refund? I'm considering a chargeback.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by 198720
Hi,

I recently booked a Hotel through Hotwire; however, when I arrived at the hotel the power was out and had been out for hours and I was unable to check in. Hotwire is refusing to refund my purchase, claiming that the power outage was out of the hotel's control and therefor I am not entitled to a refund. Is this kosher? I paid for a room under the assumption the hotel would be able to provide one, and it wasn't, whether or not the hotel had control over the power outage.

Any thoughts on how to approach getting a refund? I'm considering a chargeback.
You paid Hotwire for a room. The room wasn't provided. There's a reasonable debate whether that's Hotwire's problem, or the hotel's problem, but it certainly isn't yours.

If a phone call to Hotwire doesn't get you a refund, chargeback.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
You paid Hotwire for a room. The room wasn't provided. There's a reasonable debate whether that's Hotwire's problem, or the hotel's problem, but it certainly isn't yours.

If a phone call to Hotwire doesn't get you a refund, chargeback.
Hotwire is your travel agent in the sense that they transferred the booking to the hotel on your behalf. If the Hotel cannot check you in they should have called Hotwire to assist you to find an alternate hotel or "Walked" you to another property of the same caliber and provided you with transportation/breakfast etc.

Honestly you booked in good faith and due to a force de majur the electricity went out and other customers also experienced what you did with regards to not being able to check in to their rooms.

You could do a Chargeback on your Credit Card as the service was not rendered.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Apparently Hotwire called the hotel for confirmation, and the hotel is also saying I'm not entitled to a refund, even though the guy at the front desk when I attempted to check in told me I shouldn't have a problem getting one.

We're going to go ahead and initiate a chargeback. I've had decent luck booking with Hotwire in the past, but this is ridiculous.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:08 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Is the hotel part of a chain? If so, I'd start contacting the corporate office of that chain ASAP. While they still might not be able to refund you, at least they might be able to help keep the ball rolling to get a refund.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Don't waste your time calling anymore. You booked the hotel. When you arrived at the hotel, they wouldn't let you check in. You contacted the merchant (Hotwire) for a refund). Hotwire refused. It's a slam dunk chargeback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.