Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia Incompetence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, UA2.7MM
Thumbs down Expedia Incompetence

I'm a +Gold member at Expedia. I bought a ticket for my daughter from CWB to SIN and return. It came with a Expedia Itinerary and it's Qatar confirmation number.

On the Expedia itinerary her name appear correct ARIANA, but when checking the Qatar record it appears as ARIAN and the last "A" was missing.

On the first call to Expedia, that took over two hours, I was told that all was corrected and by the time of departure the ticket was going to show ARIANA.

I kept checking the ticket and there was no change, so on Friday, July 3rd I called Expedia again. This time the call took 2 hours and 55 minutes.

After the agent called her supervisor, support, Qatar, then Qatar travel agencies desk, then Expedia support again, it was decided to reissue the ticket without cost as it was not my mistake. I received an email with another confirmation number from Qatar.

I went into the Qatar reservation with that number and selected seats for my daughter. All was okay.

Today I was not able to do the checking online because Qatar website says the new reservation does not exist.

I called Expedia again and after 1:30 minutes I'm told that the new reservation was cancelled. Looks like some of the flights are no longer available and the agent was waiting for Qatar to answer the phone.

Now I'm told that Qatar is closed for the day and till tomorrow Expedia cannot do anything. The flight is for tomorrow night.

For that reason, I will no longer use Expedia. Once the reservations that I have in the account are done, I will close the account and use other services for my future reservations.

Very disappointed with the service given.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Your daughter could almost certainly have traveled with the minor spelling error.

Anytime you add another layer of people handling your reservation, you increase the likelihood of a screwup. Expedia seems worse than others, however.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K, UA2.7MM
Fortunately the first reservation with the mistake was never cancelled. If tomorrow we cannot get the reservation fixed, we'll try to make it with the original one with the missing A. You're right, the more people gets involve the worst results you can expect.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by seoane
Fortunately the first reservation with the mistake was never cancelled. If tomorrow we cannot get the reservation fixed, we'll try to make it with the original one with the missing A. You're right, the more people gets involve the worst results you can expect.
Print out your receipt from Expedia with the correct name on it. Go to the airport extra early in case there are any questions.

I'd just proceed with check in as usual now and at the airport. I would not point out the name difference unless someone asks you about it. It may well simply be ignored.

Good luck!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by seoane
Which is most probably the issue that the second ticket didn't clear. The reconciliation process at Qatar will certainly have noticed two reservations for the same pax on the flight and decided not to issue the second ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Two tickets would require two payments. If the first ticket is still "live" that means the second is not paid for and in short order was cancelled.

Yes, Expedia could now cancel the first ticket and use those funds to pay for the second, but that would require reinstating that second ticket.

Truncated names are common and not a problem. Stick with what you have and do not touch it.

Water under the bridge for OP, but third-party vendors, even if generally reliable, are never going to be as good as the original issuer. Unless there are extraordinary savings to be had, book directly with the carrier.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
As stated above this minor spelling error would not have caused any problems at check-in. Now you have spent a lot of time, getting frustrated but nowhere and eventually caused real problems for your daughter at check-in. Let us hope she can still travel on the first ticket/that it is still there.

In hindsight you should have asked in this forum BEFORE you initiated this mess (sorry to put it in this plain/hard way but you are also to blame for this situation to occur)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.