Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Resortcerts.com - anyone used this?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

I recently won a local charity auction for one of these certificates. I've seen this website before and am aware that these things have very limited utility for some people, but we generally like to travel away from peak locations/times, so I figured I'd take a flyer on it.

I've seen threads here about their older products that looked so bad that people literally gave them away on eBay, but this one specifically says no additional fees unless you choose to upgrade and timeshare preview requirements. They sell it directly at a face value of $599. A cursory look at some sample upgrade fees seems reasonable...a studio unit is no add'l charge, a 1-bedroom suite is a $40 upgrade, that kind of thing. If I go vastly off-peak, I can even find 2-bedroom units available at no additional charge.

I half expect that we won't use it at all and I've just made a donation to the charity. But if I do....anybody know where these certs have the best value or best overall utility? Any trick to getting better availability? (e.g., booking 11 months out, booking last-minute, that kind of thing?) I have 1 year to book and then up to 1 year to complete the stay. Is there any general advice beyond "don't expect to use them in Europe in the summer"?

On the flip side, are there any pitfalls I'm not yet aware of? I mean, other than the rather thin availability... Does no fees really mean no fees?

http://www.resortcerts.com/view
Old May 17, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, we've had approx. 10-12 certs from them, purchased on Skyauction. If you can use them off-season, there is often lots of availability (especially in places like Orlando). We've had some excellent properties in Orlando, Ft. Lauderdale area, Hilton Head, Malaga, Spain (several getting very old in that area), Tenerife (again several are "long in the tooth"), Gran Canaria, etc.

IIRC Resortcerts is part of RCI, and the weeks are over-inventory at timeshare resorts (many Wyndham properties).

The certs. can generally be bought on Skyauction for upwards of $10 (plus a $199 or $299 "service fee") or a couple of times a year at skyauction's "blowout sale" (where you purchase them for a set fee of $199 - $229, including all fees). Depending on what unit you choose (and the time of year), you may have to pay a considerable "upcharge" (up to several hundred dollars for Sedona in high season, for example).

But, we have put them to good use and, no extra fees really does mean "no extra fees" (other than upgrading). They will try to have you attend a sales presentation, but there is no pressure or requirement to go -- just say that you are not interested. (But, if you should want to go, you may receive a $150-$200 AMEX gift card for attending.) BTW sometimes you can find something 11 months out, but often 2-3 months in advance is better for more availability -- just keep checking the offerings. What you've made your choice (and, if necessary, paid for the upgrade with CC), you'll receive the confirmation immediately via eMail.

Any other info needed, just ask.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:44 pm

I was going to ask about the certs and glad I found this one!
We received one of these and now looking to go somewhere in Feb. As mentioned above, they have very limited availability. I wonder if more availability or different resorts will be released from time to time, or you see what you can book till they sell out?
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: Celebrity Elite Plus, RCCL Diamond, Princess Platinum, Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Other than Orlando, there seem to be fewer and fewer possibilities - without paying for upgrades! We had a good one in Williamsburg, VA. a year ago but, then again, it was definitely out-of-season. New inventory does comes up regularly, often very close-in to travel date.

After having lost the price of two of them (we booked and then couldn't go), I'm just not stocking up on them any more. Once you make the reservation, there is no way to change it so: use it or lose it (officially there is also no way to transfer the booking to another name). And if you see a resort that you want, don't wait to book it, because it will probably not be available the following day!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:02 pm

Thanks a lot. I'm thinking to visit the Canary Islands in May. They have quite a few resorts available. Now I see your location lol. Any more advice?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:51 pm

I have used this a few times and it is a great deal. Wyndham has some great condos on there.

Last edited by dustenm; Feb 10, 2015 at 10:13 pm
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:36 am

Programs: United
ResortCerts.com seems like a scam to me. I got a certificate for attending a timeshare presentation. There wasn't a SINGLE location in the next YEAR that didn't require me to pay for the room. Cheapest was $189 for the week. If I'm going off-off-season to a property with surplus inventory, I can probably just get that rate on my own, without having to sit through a 3-hour presentation.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
LOL...I have long since forgotten about this thread.

We redeemed ours at a Wyndham-affiliated property in rural East Texas. It was a pretty low-end timeshare property in the middle of nowhere. When it was built in the 1980s, it was probably envisioned as a weekend getaway for Dallas people. Sort of how the Ozarks are to KC and STL. But it wasn't on a lake, so it just has the feel of a cheap apartment complex in the boonies.

We bailed about halfway through the stay and spent the rest of the week in a regular hotel in Dallas.

My conclusion at this point is that Resortcerts are useless. If someone gives you one for free, then by all means search and see if you can find a good deal. But don't get your hopes too high...and *definitely* don't spend money on one of these certs.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Vacation Rewards
Hi!!! I notice that some of you have purchased Resortcerts at @ $199 - $299 for a one week of lodgings stay. That is very attractive to me. I used them before. I live in the cancun area!!!!!
-You have to make sure that are hotels with NO All inclusive mandatory, cause it's extra to be paid at the hotel.
-Each hotel has additional services that could be additional charges at the final bill at the hotel/resort.
-Your week stay is cover with the certificate, but there can be certain dates end/or occupancy that requires an up grade to be paid at the moment of reservation.

Is there a web site to get them at that price???

I like to now how to get them.

Best Regards
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Try the Skyauction thing mentioned above. Or try eBay.

Or don't do this at all. That might be the best idea of all.

Unless you're looking for a run-down apartment complex in East Texas. In that case, these certs are exactly what you're looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.