Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing airfare

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Purchasing airfare

out of curiosity, anyone knows any website that allow debit card payment for booking airfare?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would never use a debit card to purchase any service to be delivered in the future (airfare, hotel, etc). In bankruptcy, there are special protections for credit card purchases (you receive 100% credit virtually immediately). With a debit card, you stand in line with all of the other creditors and may see a few cents on the dollar at some timein the future.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

If you mean a debit card that has a Visa or MasterCard logo, then it is exactly like a credit card. You can use it on the internet to buy airline tickets just like a credit card, and your chargeback rights are the same as with a credit card.

If you mean a debit card with a PIN, then no, you cannot use it on the internet, because it isn't set up for online transactions.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
If you have a debit card only, I assume that it is linked to a checking account. You may want to look at individual airline websites and see if payment by electronic check is available. Another alternative would be to see if the airline accepts PalPal. You could fund thr PayPal account using a checking account, and then pay the airline.

Just two suggestions, while not ideal, they both beat having to pay the fees to pay with cash at the airport, or through a travel agency.

As also suggested, if your debit card has a Visa or MasterCard logo on it, you can use it like a credit card (funds availibility aside) I will warn you, however, airlines will preauthorize the transaction, and the charge it may come off your account altogether, and then finally post again a week or more after purchase. If you do not keep a running total of your account, and just rely on the balance each morning, you could run into an issue.

Edit: Another alternative would be to buy a prepaid Visa/MasterCard/Amex Gift Card, and then in turn, use that card for your purchase.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the info!^
Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cbn42
If you mean a debit card that has a Visa or MasterCard logo, then it is exactly like a credit card. You can use it on the internet to buy airline tickets just like a credit card, and your chargeback rights are the same as with a credit card.

If you mean a debit card with a PIN, then no, you cannot use it on the internet, because it isn't set up for online transactions.
-1. This is not the case. A debit card may have the ability to initiate a chargeback. But, bankruptcy protections apply only to credit cards. That is the siple reality of USA law (USA-issued CC or service purchased in USA). That is because the merchant account holder (carrier's bank) holds back a % of the merchant (carrier) funds due against this possibility depending on the merchant's financial condition.

With debit cards, the same is not true. The funds are directly debited to the customer's account relatively immediately.

Ordinary chargebacks are limited by the merchant's ability to sustain the chargeback. If there are no funds, the consumer loses (or becomes a bankruptcy creditor). Chargebacks for bankruptcy are not so limited.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:10 pm

Is there anything in airlines like in some rental companies, they block a certain amount of money on your credit card while you hire their car. Should I pay by another way as the money will immediately taken out of my account and I shall have limited charge back rights from credit card companies?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: Costco Club
I booked a trip on Alaska Airlines last month with my debit card, the money came out of my account immediately. My debit card is a Visa Check Card and has a Visa logo on it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:06 am

Part of the answer depends on from which country your debit card is issued. I can use my U.S. Credit Union debit card to buy tickets online no problem but I cannot use my German Sparkasse debit card to buy anything online.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by printingray
Is there anything in airlines like in some rental companies, they block a certain amount of money on your credit card while you hire their car. Should I pay by another way as the money will immediately taken out of my account and I shall have limited charge back rights from credit card companies?
What happens when you use a debit card to buy your ticket, the airline will put a hold on the amount of the ticket, and after the money is deducted from your account, it may take upwards of a 7-10 days for the "hold" to expire even though they already took the money and during this time, that amount is not available to you. I hope that makes sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.