Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Expedia - Multiple Segments

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Expedia - Multiple Segments

So I'm trying to match my friend's itinerary that they booked with a travel agent.

YYC -> IAH -> LIM -> CUZ
LPB -> LIM -> IAH -> YYC

However, when I do multi destination in Expedia, the return to YYC only gives an hour in Houston which is tight. That and a couple flights don't match (easier if they do).

So I know you can do multi destination with Expedia (max of 5 segments), so I broke out that itinerary as much as possible and I was able to match their itinerary.

Is booking multi-destination like this any different than letting their system automatically pick an itinerary? It’s not going to have an issue on my luggage is it (check all the way through, as much as normally possible)?

IE: Is booking YYC -> LIM (through IAH) any different than doing YYC -> IAH, IAH -> LIM, considering they use the same flight numbers.

I could take this to a travel agent too, but wanted to get the 9x points from the TD Expedia.
Also searched ITA Matrix and booking each segment get me the price quoted on ITA, where as letting Expedia automatically schedule is more expensive. 1477 vs 1677

hope you get the jist of my question.

EDIT: oh, and any difference choosing an Continental vs a United branded flight? Prices change for that too.

Last edited by Chingyul; Jan 17, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Pulled it up on Expedia again.

Is this going to be an issue?
Called Expedia, and I'm not sure if I communicated it clearly, but they said I'll have to check in for each leg.
Is that right?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Sometimes Expedia is not able to yield the same results that a travel agent can. You can try to specify the times more carefully and see if it works. If not, I would suggest that you use a TA.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

So that's the booking I could get on Expedia.

I called in and asked about booking segments like that. Maybe I wasn't clear with the rep, but he said I would have to claim my bags and recheck in between each "trip". So based on the above itinerary, Houston, then Lima, Cusco, and Hoston, and Calgary on the way back.

Some first hand experience would be helpful.
If it's an issue, I've sent off the ITA itinerary to a couple TAs to see if they can book it. The $200 savings is worth more than the extra 6 bonus points per $ I get from Expedia.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:41 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

What types of issues are you concerned about, exactly?

This is a valid booking you have, I don't see any problems.

You will need to check in for each leg separately as they are on separate airlines. UA and CO may be able to give you each other's boarding passes, or they may not, I'm not sure.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:00 am
Original Poster

The only concern is the baggage. But I guess I did some more searching, and as long as it's all booked under a single ticket, it should be ok.

Well, it should be the same as if a travel agent book the same itinerary.
What I was trying to do is match the itinerary of a friend who booked through a brick and mortar travel agent.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:50 am

You should have no extra problems due to your method of booking. When checking in just be carefull your bags are checked all the way through, the check in agent may miss your final destination. I would make sure to bring a copy of my iteneary in case the agent cant see all the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.