Wiki Posts
Search

Is There a Priceline Minimum?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Is There a Priceline Minimum?

I'm doing a road trip SEA-SFO using the Thrifty $1/day deal. I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible, and will only be using hotels to sleep/shower. I managed to book a $42 room near SEA my first night (Valu Inn Seatac), but was wondering if I should bother trying $10-$20 priceline bids. Is last minute bidding a 1-2 star that cheap worth messing with? I don't think I've ever seen a report on biddingfortravel under $40ish, but just wondering if anyone has scored a REALLY cheap room.

My route puts me near SEA on arrival tomorrow, around Lincoln City, OR Saturday and Eureka, CA Sunday.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:30 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Biddingfortravel used to say that each star level had a minimum bid, but I'm not sure I've ever officially seen it on PL's website. Back in the good ol' days some folks were able to get hotel rooms for $1 a night, but I'm not sure we'll ever see anything near that again.

By the way, we have a forum dedicated to Online Booking/Bidding Agencies, so I'll alert a moderator to move your post there.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by lo2e
By the way, we have a forum dedicated to Online Booking/Bidding Agencies, so I'll alert a moderator to move your post there.
Moving to Online Booking and Bidding forum

EmailKid
Budget Travel moderator
Old Oct 29, 2010, 5:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Back in the day you use to be able to view the source of the page and it would have the minimum it would accept to submit the form for each star level. It was possible to get around that with the minimum of HTML knowledge, but that's another story.

Currently, if you view the page, you will see some java that generates the warnings your bid has little chance and the other warning, but it's a variable probably being fed from the location, and unlike a minimum you can still put in a low amount and submit the form.

I don't think they will accept it, they need to make some money off the deal (or from the fees), but I don't believe anything is stopping you from trying.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cordelli
Currently, if you view the page, you will see some java that generates the warnings your bid has little chance and the other warning, but it's a variable probably being fed from the location, and unlike a minimum you can still put in a low amount and submit the form.

I don't think they will accept it, they need to make some money off the deal (or from the fees), but I don't believe anything is stopping you from trying.
I've ignored that "little chance" warning in the past and succeeded.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:17 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Yeah, all their warnings are just marketing, but the difference is now I believe you can bid whatever you wanted to bid, in the past it was hard coded into the form, if you bid less then the amount, it would not allow you to bid.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
There are two major cost involved with setting hotel rate from the cost side. One is the cost of the room empty(Capital, financing,fixed utilities and overhead) and the other is the cost of having the room rented out (Cleaning, bookkeeping and linen). There are other cost in each category but I am trying to keep this simple.

The minimum rate that it make sense to rent the room out is to recover at least the cost of renting it out. If it cost the hotel $40 to "open" a room for occupancy they will not accept a losing proposition below that rate unless there are outside reason to do so.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
The old "guidelines" on Bidding For Travel went like this...don't know if they still apply, but probably a fairly good rule of thumb to prevent useless bidding:

"MINIMUM" BIDS TO BE ACCEPTED...

1* $15
2* $17
2.5* $19
3* $25
3.5* $25
4* $40
5* $55
Resort $40

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.