Community
Wiki Posts
Search

xONE5 itinerary advice please

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:44 am
Original Poster

xONE5 itinerary advice please

This is my route that we put together on the phone. It seems a bit all over the place, although it hits everywhere we want to go. I need help in getting this to be a better flow and to maximize my 16 sectors!

LHR-IST-ADJ-CAI-LHR-DAR (surface to JNB) JNB-HKG-BOM-BKK-SIN-SYD-CHC-AKL-LAX-BOS-LHR

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 29, 2009 at 12:19 pm Reason: 10% discount info is in the other thread
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by MWalter17
This is my route that we put together on the phone. It seems a bit all over the place, although it hits everywhere we want to go. I need help in getting this to be a better flow and to maximize my 16 sectors!

LHR-IST-ADJ-CAI-LHR-DAR (surface to JNB) JNB-HKG-BOM-BKK-SIN-SYD-CHC-AKL-LAX-BOS-LHR

I was looking at suggestions to maximize miles, but without specifying where "everywhere we want to go" is. Also what class? A/D/LONE5?

Failing to see any OW flight CAI-DAR, also not allowed to transit LHR, where ticket starts.

Think again about AMM or CAI, very close - side trip? AMM connected to MAD, to bypass LHR; CAI not. Neither of them to JNB. FRA both to US and ME on RJ

Almost the same SIN, if needed easy to reach on a side trip from BKK, thus room for mor flights/miles on NA flights. CNC also easy side trip from AKL.

Consider this alternative: LHR-JNB (sidetrip to DAR?) -HKG-BOM-BKK (sidetrip to SIN) -NRT-XHKG-SYD-AKL (sidetrip CNC) -LAX-SJU(tc)-BOS-MIA-DFW-FRA-AMM-LHR (with sidetrip/s to IST a/o CAI from AMM) . All this of course reshuffles the order of destinations.

If both DAR and JNB "must" destinations, start in JNB, still good prices, but rising. Then able to transit LHR both for AMM and for re-entering Africa for DAR. Only one stop-over in LHR allowed.

Look at oneworld forum for the stickies , where You'll find helpful tools.

Happy Travel!

Last edited by onobond; Jan 31, 2009 at 7:34 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Itinerary help! LONE5 I'll send $$$ - ha!

Wheww you guys rock. Thanks for the answers to my previous posts. Trying to get an itinerary locked solid and need some guidance.

Starting in: LHR becuase of price on the LONE5, but need help maximizing my stops!

Ideally my Itinerary would look like this

LHR-IST-CAI-EBB-JNB-BOM-BKK-HKG-HAN-SYD-CHC-NAN-AKL-LAX-LHR

I can not get the Africa portion to validate.

Also it does not have to be EBB it can be DAR or even NBR.

What I am trying to accomplish is E. Africa and S. Africa.

I also want to maximize my flights in SE Asia and would change HAN to make it work down to SYD.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
There are lots of problems with this itinerary. I think you'd be more successful on *A (albeit fares are higher), or have to take quite a bit out to make it work.

There are no IST-CAI flights. You would have to transit through AMM (Amman on Royal Jordanian) or MAD (Madrid on Iberian).

There are no CAI-EBB or DAR flights. The only way to get there on OW is on BA, but as you originated in LHR you cannot transfer back through there. One way to resolve this is to start your ticket somewhere else, however fare is likely higher and you already have too many sectors.

There are no EBB-JNB or DAR-JNB flights. On oneworld you will have to take a surface segment and find other means of travel for this bit.

There are no JNB-BOM flights. You could go via HKG (Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific).

There are no oneworld HAN-SYD flights, nor CHC-NAN, nor NAN-AKL.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 12:04 am

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
The sticking point for the routing is really the Africa bit. If you were to convert the itinerary to an xONE4, something like:

lhr-ist-mad-cai-amm-bkk-bom-hkg-han-hkg-akl-syd-chc-syd-jfk-lax-lhr

then you could use the money saved to at least partially pay for a ticket from CAI or AMM to where you want to go in Africa. It is not possible to get to NAN on an xONEx fare since the QF codeshares that go there are on FJ metal. I guess you could replace ...SYD-JFK-LAX-LHR with ...SYD-HNL-LAX-LHR if Honolulu seems like a reasonable substitute for Nadi to you.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

wow that is very helpful, I didnt even look at the xone4 and try to put it together that way. Thank you so much for the response this really really helps.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Can I get your blessing?

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-hkg-bkk-sin-syd-nan-syd-akl-lax-lhr

this is valid on MileaeMonkey but I am not sure I am maximizing my ticket. The reason we are going through Cairo is because of Africa. Thanks for the advice we are now doing that on or own.

We are open in SE Asia and will consider changing but want to keep Thailand. What are the gotchas of this iten? I am looking for someones blessing before I pull the trigger!

Also we live in the US but have friends in the UK. Will producing their address for the shipping address of the tickets be enough for us to buy these in GBP vs. USD? I would call the AA office in London.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 2:26 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
You can have 16 segments so you have two more.

I don't know how many times I have to say this (and I apologise to others for the emphasis) but...

THE BILLING ADDRESS OR COUNTRY OF ISSUE OF THE CREDIT CARD MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHATSOEVER TO THE PRICE OF THE TICKET!

Itineraries starting in the UK and bought from a UK office will be billed the ex-UK price in GBP. Period.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 6:39 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-hkg-bkk-sin-syd-nan-syd-akl-lax-lhr
this is valid on MileageMonkey
This does show as valid in MM, which surprises me because all QF flights to/from Fiji are codeshares on FJ and so are not allowed on a *ONE*. OW has very poor coverage in SWP apart from OZ & NZ.

What are the gotchas of this iten?
You have 4 segments in Europe (lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm). Just be aware that you can have only two stopovers in your continent of origin. So two of the segments have to be transfers (less than 24 hrs between arriving and departing) - presumably stopovers are IST and CAI and transits are both visits to AMM?

I also want to maximize my flights in SE Asia (from your second post)
You have three of the maximum four segments allowed in Asia (bom-hkg-bkk-sin). A routing such as BOM-BKK-HKG-xxx-HKG, where xxx is anywhere in Asia that CX flies to, can use an extra segment. Possibilites: MNL, SGN, DPS...

What with not being able to fly SYD-NAN-SYD, you'll have segments left over - perhaps some stops in Nth Am - Mrs P and I had a very enjoyable side-trip from NYC to BGI on our LONE4 late last year
Old Feb 16, 2009, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Christstep thank you for your kind words I understand.

panda you are correct Amm will be the stop overs however I didnt realize it will be 24 hr or less. Those are the gotchas I was looking for.

I replaced Fiji with NOU. It checked out on mimonkey. Something I should look out for?

I tried the BOM-BKK-HKG-xxx-HKG suggestion however it gave me an error of two many sectors in Asia.

Prefer not to use many sectors in N. Amer being that we live in BNA.

Ideas on how to squeak a few more in. Hopefully buying the ticket this week!

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-hkg-bkk-sin-syd-nou-syd-akl-lax-lhr
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:29 pm

I replaced Fiji with NOU. It checked out on mimonkey. Something I should look out for?

I tried the BOM-BKK-HKG-xxx-HKG suggestion however it gave me an error of two many sectors in Asia.

Prefer not to use many sectors in N. Amer being that we live in BNA.

Ideas on how to squeak a few more in. Hopefully buying the ticket this week!

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-hkg-bkk-sin-syd-nou-syd-akl-lax-lhr
Stopover/Transit:
<=23:59 = transit
>=24:00 = stopover
Strictly applied always, no leeway.

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-bkk-hkg-sgn-hkg-syd-nou-syd-akl-lax-lhr
shows as valid in MM (perhaps you inadvertently left SIN in the routing - as I did the first time I checked it)

QF flies its own metal SIN-NOU three times a week; the other four days it codeshares on Air Calin - so you have choose the right days to fly each way so you're on QF metal.

Possibilties for "sqeaking a few more in":
You've used your 4 allowed segments in Europe
Ditto for Asia if you change your routing to BOM-BKK-HKG-xxx-HKG
So the places where you can squeak are either SWP or NthAm. Since you're not interested in Nth Am, then SWP it is
  • HKG-zzz-SYD-AKL, where zzz is one of the other major Australian cities or CNS
  • You can re-route as HKG-AKL-yyy-SYD/MEL and then fly the A380 SYD/MEL-LAX, or if you prefer fly SYD-JFK (yyy not= zzz 'cos QF does not fly AKL-PER or AKL-ADL)
  • if it's the flying you're really interested then for the final three segments consider:
    Australian City-transit Asian City (Tokyo or HKG)-stopover Nth American City-London. YVR and YYZ are Canadian possibilties from HKG, as well a number of US ports from either HKG or TYO

Enjoy
Old Feb 16, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

and thats a wrap! ex LHR taxes?

Whewwwww!

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-bkk-hkg-sgn-hkg-per-syd-nou-syd-akl-lax-lhr

Idea on taxes?

Well here it is. After hours and hours of reading FT and the help of SO many I think I have a set LONE4 booking. I am exhausted.

Now - next mission is to find a flight to Uganda / Kenya or Tazania from either Cairo or Amm!

This will be our first RTW travel. Hopefully in the future I can contribute to the forums more!
Old Feb 16, 2009, 5:23 pm

Whewwwww!

lhr-ist-amm-cai-amm-bom-bkk-hkg-sgn-hkg-per-syd-nou-syd-akl-lax-lhr

Idea on taxes?
Plug the itinerary into the on-line booking tool on oneworld.com; it will tell you the total for taxes and fuel fines

ps when do you think you will be flying CAI-AMM? (Mrs P and I will be flying that sector of our LONE4 ~Apr 25/26)

Last edited by pandaperth; Feb 16, 2009 at 5:24 pm Reason: added ps
Old Feb 16, 2009, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

good deal I am going to get going on that!

We wont be hitting that sector until October 1st

I will be interested to hear what its like!!!! Shoot me a private message and we can exchange info. Us LONE4's gotta stick together!
Old Feb 17, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF Gold, SQ, AA, HA
Now - next mission is to find a flight to Uganda / Kenya or Tazania from either Cairo or Amm!
Congratulations on getting your itinerary together .. hopefully the first of many!

I guess this is more of a question for one of the Africa forums but a good starting point would be to look at flights on MS (Egyptair), they fly direct CAI-NBO, CAI-DAR and CAI-EBB. There is also KQ (Kenyan) CAI-NBO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.