Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Oneworld Ruby?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2017, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Buy Oneworld Ruby?

Anyone know of any FFP that would let you buy Oneworld Ruby status outright?

Based out of KUL with zero status on MH. I do however have 390 Tier Points in my BAEC account but still need 2 eligible flights to qualify for Bronze (Ruby) status. There are no cheap BA marketed flights that I can just hop on originating from KUL

The only reason I'm after Ruby is for the shorter check in queues.

Cheers
Old May 22, 2017, 6:47 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
None.

How about looking at BA 5th Freedom flights?
Near KUL, this is the one to aim for. A return flight will get you Ruby.
Singapore - Sydney

If you are a frequent flyer, maybe you could plan a trip to Europe, and then do an intra-Europe return on BA?
Old May 23, 2017, 2:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Status match

I don't know if you would happen to have status in another alliance? In that case you could do a status match. BA won't allow you, AB does offer status matches. I'm not sure about MH.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Status match

DELETED -double
Old May 23, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Ruby is IMO pretty pointless.

The only BA fifth freedom flight in Asia is SIN-SYD. All the others have been scrapped over the last years.

That said, IIRC you can however book a BA marketed flight (i.e. a flight sold to you with a BA flight number), which will count as qualifying segment. Question is if there's any cheap BA codeshare out of KUL.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:38 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Ruby is IMO pretty pointless. ....
Perhaps - unless priority boarding, (IIRC) extra baggage and better seating are of no use..
Old May 23, 2017, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for all your input. I'm beginning a new job that will require some frequent travelling so the Ruby is really just for me to cut the check-in queues as they can be pretty long for MH.

I searched on BA and found KUL to USM (Koh Samui) which is operated by Bangkok Airways. But spoke to both travel agents and BA directly and they wouldn't sell it to me as it would need to be a international connection presumably only to/from LHR so seems like no more options for me
Old May 26, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Correct - the SE Asia codeshares are for connections only. your only hope is Australia from SIN or back to LHR for your segments. For ruby alone that's maybe not worth it. If you were going to hit BAEC Silver it maybe is.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by og
Perhaps - unless priority boarding, (IIRC) extra baggage and better seating are of no use..
Priority boarding, extra baggage and better seating are no official OWR benefits. While some airlines grant such perks, others don't.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:22 am
ECR

Last time I looked if you join Founderscard you could get oneworld ruby status with Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Silver. In effect this would be a way of purchasing status. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost though unless there are one of the other benefits of Founderscard that are of use to you though.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Personally, if status is important to you and will help considerably with travel in the next year, I`d skip Ruby, buy a ticket to Europe on BA in WT+ and get to Silver/OW Sapphire, which will confer lounge access.
Example: KUL-LHR-AMS next weekend, priced at less than 5k ringgit/900 pounds, gives 220 TP and get you up to silver. If you have any avios to spare, use avios + cash to bring the price down further.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice. I really appreciate it

Trying a different approach. I now have UA Silver (*A Silver) and does anyone know which One World FFP may match to something equiv?

Thanks again!!
Old May 31, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: Status with BA Exec Club; KrisFlyer; Hilton Honors; IHG One; Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Personally, if status is important to you and will help considerably with travel in the next year, I`d skip Ruby, buy a ticket to Europe on BA in WT+ and get to Silver/OW Sapphire, which will confer lounge access.
Example: KUL-LHR-AMS next weekend, priced at less than 5k ringgit/900 pounds, gives 220 TP and get you up to silver. If you have any avios to spare, use avios + cash to bring the price down further.
If you're going to do this, and just 'buy' status, get your flights in right at the start of your TP collection year if you can. Then you get he rest of that year + following year + 1 month of status for your money.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by bhomburg
I agree BA silver is very good value and if you have to do a lot of Y travel then it would be worth the effort/cost.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ECR
Last time I looked if you join Founderscard you could get oneworld ruby status with Cathay Pacific Marco Polo Silver. In effect this would be a way of purchasing status. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost though unless there are one of the other benefits of Founderscard that are of use to you though.
Just 'bought' CX Silver through Founderscard. With one trip the fee was already worth it due to the free emergency exit rows. On top of that you get lounge if you fly CX + priority services. Other FC benefits include HH Gold and a SPG/Marriott Gold trial. For us, it was worth it but only because we were actually flying Cathay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.