[FARES GONE] Egyptian Pound Devalued - bargain prices for RTW tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[FARES GONE] Egyptian Pound Devalued - bargain prices for RTW tickets

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: BA DL
Just booked a simple DONE3 ex-CAI with the AA RTW desk.

CAI-LHR-BOS-HKG-TLV

I am booking at the end of the window so I will add the full complement of sectors later for the $125 PP (plus taxes etc.) fee.

$3,268.46 per person which is less than half the price of my current DONE ex-TYO
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
EF is not showing me prices for AONE5/6

Happy wandering

Fred

PS
It looks like my one BA segment blew my airline fees out of the water
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You sure you're checking in the right place? I'm on EF and seeing AONE5 at $5,937.39 and AONE6 at $6,924.64 (both ex-CAI and in USD, of course).
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
On EF, I'm seeing:
AONE5 - $6502.85
AONE6 - $7584.12
Originally Posted by wandering_fred
I was looking in EGP with AA and QF. Still zero shown as 0(EGP)

Happy wandering

Fred
Seems to be a 'quirk' in EF

Asking for the fares in EGP results in 0 (zero) for AONE5 and AONE6
Asking for the fares in USD shows fares for them

However, you can simply click on the View Routing button for a fare and see the fare in its 'native' currency
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cphurley
The rule re: re-pricing if change first flight; does that include change to DATE only, not ticketed points?

If I book say CAI-AMM-ORD as first segments on July 13 but later decide I need to move a few days forward or back... does that cause re-price? Or is it only a change to ticketed points?
Originally Posted by headinclouds
THis has been discussed many times with no clear cut answer, though most replies indicate that any change to the 1st flight segment is a new ticket. The advice from RTW agent Sarah (now retired), "never touch that 1st segment if you want to keep the current price".
To be honest, I don't recall any discussion of this in the past.
IMHO, the fare rules are crystal clear on this subject
16. VOLUNTARY CHANGES/REROUTING/PENALTIES
(a) Rebooking/Rerouting
(1) Prior to departure
(a) Changes are permitted provided ticketed points remain the same. If the first flight coupon is being changed, and the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.

(b) Changes to ticketed points are permitted at a charge of USD125.00 per transaction. If the fare level has increased since ticket issuance, the difference between the old and new fare will also be charged. If the fare level has decreased since ticket issuance, no refund will apply.
So:
IF the fare has increased
THEN making any change to that first segment will result in a re-price
As will making any changes to the routing prior to departure
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:24 am
Original Poster

The Egyptian pound seems to be in freefall; though that's not terribly surprising given the devaluation and political situation generally. Devalued last week from 8.5 EGP/USD to 13.5. Then about 1½ days later, went to 15.5 to the dollar. Then, just today, went from 15.5 to 16.88.

If you're trying to play the timing, don't forget to factor in that at some point, whether immediately or in a bit, OneWorld will change the pricing on these tickets. I missed out on the MPM tickets because I was trying to time it too carefully. Jumped on this as soon as I was able.
And today xe.com is showing the EGP has fallen further - now it's 17.77 to the USD

(So it has halved in value in week - this time last week it was at 8.88 to the USD
Old Nov 8, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by wingzing
... $3,268.46 per person which is less than half the price of my current DONE ex-TYO
I assume that that's the price all-in, not the base price, yes?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
And today xe.com is showing the EGP has fallen further - now it's 17.77 to the USD.
Was up briefly to just over 18 to the dollar, now back to 17.95663 (XE.com). Prices on the tix haven't moved in the last day or two based on EF, however.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:23 am

Was up briefly to just over 18 to the dollar, now back to 17.95663 (XE.com). Prices on the tix haven't moved in the last day or two based on EF, however.
I would have expected the opposite since the dramatic change might have meant that fx speculators would take their profits now. I suspect that if it goes much worse, then the airlines will redo the EGP base price.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: BA DL
I assume that that's the price all-in, not the base price, yes?
yes. All in. I calculated that AA used 15.8EGP per dollar which is less that the current market rate of over 17EGP.

pandaperth notes above that the rules regarding changes to the date of the first segment are "crystal clear". I agree with his interpretation of the fare rules. So I just called AA RTW and asked if my ticket would be repriced if I changed the date of the first flight. The agent said no because the ticket would just need to be revalidated, not reissued. Of course, I didn't actually try to change the date of the first segment, so it may get kicked back it I actually tried to change the date.....
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Now i'm not sure if i want to go ahead (at least immediately) given that the EGP is like in free fall mode. What if it hits 20 ;p

It's also getting harder to meet the CSR min spend thru this (!)
Old Nov 8, 2016, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Now i'm not sure if i want to go ahead (at least immediately) given that the EGP is like in free fall mode. What if it hits 20 ;p

It's also getting harder to meet the CSR min spend thru this (!)
Same as with Mozambique, OneWorld is going to adjust this. I would imagine that they all have to agree and that this takes a few days. But I would bet that it's already in the works.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Same as with Mozambique, OneWorld is going to adjust this. I would imagine that they all have to agree and that this takes a few days. But I would bet that it's already in the works.
AA RTW Desk confirmed to me earlier today that they reported this issue and have requested fare adjustments. It is a matter of days for this to show up in the system. They clearly have been following the situation and have been overwhelmed since last Friday with bookings/re-issues/etc. They clearly are looking forward for things to normalize once the new fares kick in. I managed to get one DONE4 ticketed yesterday Monday (base fare USD 2,805) and a second one should be ticketed today (I hope).
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by wingzing
yes. All in. I calculated that AA used 15.8EGP per dollar which is less that the current market rate of over 17EGP.

pandaperth notes above that the rules regarding changes to the date of the first segment are "crystal clear". I agree with his interpretation of the fare rules. So I just called AA RTW and asked if my ticket would be repriced if I changed the date of the first flight. The agent said no because the ticket would just need to be revalidated, not reissued. Of course, I didn't actually try to change the date of the first segment, so it may get kicked back it I actually tried to change the date.....
I tried the above - changed the outbound date on a ticketed DONE4 and it was re-issued with the original conversion made on Friday (about 1:14.6). I asked to have it converted again, but fares dept would not do it. They probably should do it, but given the circumstances I feel it's not ideal to push this further. So if you managed to ticket a xONEx over the past 4 days, congrats and hold it tight. The re-issue back-and-forth process will likely backfire at this point...
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I'm a bit nervous since it's my first time doing this...

Is ITA matrix reliable to calculate an estimate of fees? I have two itinerary options and I think I'll pick based on which one has lower YQ/fees. The oneworld.com tool cannot price either option so I can't get the number for them and don't want to annoy the phone agent by calling in...

I'm also torn between issuing on 001 or 160 stock. I want to use SWUs but I'm worried 001 ticket will give me a max cap of 75k RDM, yet at the same time I'm worried it'll be troublesome to use SWUs on 160 stock. I might throw in asia miles upgrades here and there too.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
I'm also torn between issuing on 001 or 160 stock. I want to use SWUs but I'm worried 001 ticket will give me a max cap of 75k RDM, yet at the same time I'm worried it'll be troublesome to use SWUs on 160 stock.
Regardless of who issues the ticket, you can change the program to which each flight is reported/credited individually, flight by flight, with a little effort. That should solve your problem. Also, my understanding is that the 75K cap applies to BIS miles. You'll need at least a five continent itinerary to do that, I believe.

With regard to AA SWUs, my experience is that you can only use them on flights which you are crediting to AAdvantage.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pandaperth
To be honest, I don't recall any discussion of this in the past. IMHO, the fare rules are crystal clear on this subject

So: IF the fare has increased THEN making any change to that first segment will result in a re-price. As will making any changes to the routing prior to departure
Are you sure? The language about changes to the first flight is "first flight coupon." When I read that, my interpretation was that if it was a paper ticket and the change could be done with a sticker, then there was no reprice. The flight coupon (again, continuing the metaphor of the old paper tickets) only has to be changed if you change the city pair. Otherwise, and IMO importantly, the fare ladder remains unchanged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.