Community
Wiki Posts
Search

oneworld Elite status help!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Post oneworld Elite status help!

Hi everyone, as currently I am based in Malaysia, I will be flying a lot in the next 6 months enough to get a elite status (silver maybe) in most airlines. However most airlines also require me to complete the requirements by the end of the calendar year 31 Dec. I was wondering if I can do this, most of my flights will be Malaysia Airlines, but I will give them my Qatar Airways Privilege Club as my FFP. However I have never taken Qatar before. Will Qatar be able to upgrade my tier even if I meet the requirements with the other oneworld partners but haven't taken their flight before? And will this be advisable FFP for me to choose from? Below are some information for me.
My main target is to achieve oneworld Ruby and I fly from Malaysia to Asia most frequently. I fly J class most of the times.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:37 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk Jeth Ho

Most oneworld frequent flyer programmes require 4 flights on the home airline in order to (re)qualify for status.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jeth Ho Welcome to FT

I would not agree that most freq flyer programmes are based on a calendar year. The requirement for getting status can be a lot different between ffp’s. For many flying on the airline of your ffp will get more status earning than with a partner airline. And as above, the 4 segment own airline rule common to many OW ffp’s Many people miss the frequent bit of an airline ffp (flying on other airlines)

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally however you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights and possible operational upgrades. Frequent flyer miles are not equal to earn or burn.

Earning miles from non flying activities is easier with an airline of your home country.

What do expect QR status (if you do not fly QR) to do for you?
Malaysia io other parts of Asia is not far, so little status earning or redeemable ff miles.
Note silver/gold etc are not the same between ffp. You need to consider the equivalent OW ruby, sapphire and/or emerald.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:56 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Hi Jeth Ho,

Since you're based in Malaysia and am looking at status, why not consider MH's Enrich program? You can earn status by Elite miles or sectors. Since flying within Asia doesn't really earn much miles to begin with, maybe you can earn from sectors instead.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Jeth Ho
However most airlines also require me to complete the requirements by the end of the calendar year 31 Dec. I was wondering if I can do this, most of my flights will be Malaysia Airlines, but I will give them my Qatar Airways Privilege Club as my FFP.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
I would not agree that most freq flyer programmes are based on a calendar year.
QR, in particular, does not base its program on the calendar year. It bases status on points accumulated during the current rolling 12 months which ends "today."
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:09 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Qantas uses the date you join as your membership year (not calendar), also even the shortest J flight earns a minimum of 40 status credits (300 needed for Ruby status), so you would get it with less than 8 flights ... but need to fly 4 on QF which could be QF codeshare on EK (availalble from KL) or QF metal from SIN or HKG. But Ruby doesn't give much benefit, you really want to get to Sapphire which has lounge access and for QFF that is 700 status credits (easy to earn when flying J).
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Welcome to Flyer Talk Jeth Ho

Most oneworld frequent flyer programmes require 4 flights on the home airline in order to (re)qualify for status.
(Slightly off topic, but AA is dropping this requirement for 2017 - though they are initiating a minimum dollar spend requirement that's a bit complicated for many of us.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.