Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - NRT/HND JAL or Cathay?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
HKG - NRT/HND JAL or Cathay?

I'm currently booked in J with BA on MAN-LHR-HKG with a HND-LHR-MAN return through avios redemption and Amex 2-4-1.

I'm looking at flights between HKG and Tokyo with Avios and availability on both JAL and Cathay is wide open for the dates I need.

From what I understand both carriers offer a regional business class on this route, however some of the flights use the international business class, is that correct?

Any preference from a BA perspective on which carrier to use?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
What do you mean by "from a BA perspective"? There are lots of existing threads comparing the two offerings on the CX and JL fora which will give you plenty of details on compared seats, food, service, etc. The BA perspective honestly makes no difference at all to the equation.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
I like the 'from a BA perspective' line, to give some loose justification for posting here!

There are two CX HKG-HND flights per day scheduled on 4 class long haul equipment.

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/...Pacific_CX_548

http://info.flightmapper.net/flight/...Pacific_CX_542

There are some NRT flights too which you can look up by searching for F.

CX's infamous regional equipment swaps are rare on these routes, but they do happen.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:37 am

FWIW, I would choose CX purely as I know (and very much like!) the product. I have not flown regional JL (only longhaul) therefore I would not comment on the positives or negatives of it.

I am a Cathay lover though, so that my explain my bias
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread has been moved from the BA forum over to the oneworld forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 27, 2016, 3:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Go for F on the CX 747.

This is one of the very last opportunities to fly CX F in the nose of a jumbo.

I've done it several times and can attest to this being enormously worth the small premium over J.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I like CX significantly better even if you get the regional C. The 744 to HND is definitely regular lie flat C, and believe all of the 773 are as well. NRT gets a lot of regional seating (if not all). Look on Expertflyer, if the flight has F then it's definitely the long haul product.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I like CX significantly better even if you get the regional C. The 744 to HND is definitely regular lie flat C, and believe all of the 773 are as well. NRT gets a lot of regional seating (if not all). Look on Expertflyer, if the flight has F then it's definitely the long haul product.
773s (777-300) are regional, 77Ws (777-300ER) are long haul. Also remember the 744 J seat is different to the long haul seat on the 77W or long haul A330 fleet. HND is always operated by long haul aircraft (744 for one flight and 77W for the other), NRT is more pot luck.

JL fly their 772 with angled lie flat seats on this route. I found them pretty uncomfortable as far as Business Class seats go, even in an upright position (not enough padding, inadequate thigh and butt support). Entertainment on CX is better. Food on JAL can be quite good but not so great that I would consider it a deal breaker given the other factors.

I would go with CX.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
If you can fly F on CX, go for that. It then becomes a toss up between JL or CX for J. If it's one of CX's long haul jets you will get a nice lie flat seat, if that is important to you. If you fly JL the food/drink will be better.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Thanks for the feedback everyone, Unfortunately the daily CX flights with the new J product wasn't available via Avios, and the only other flight with timings that worked for us was the JL flight. However I did notice they've changed the equipment to a 787-8 so I've gone for that flight just to try out the 787 for the first time!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Hope this doesn't find you too late. The 788 on that route for JL does not have lie flats, it has horrible, uncomfortable angle flats.

Your better bet is the 777 to HND depending on your dates. See here for info:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inflight/inter/rosen/index.html#suite787

Any route not listed will not have lie flats and 788 angle flats are awful IMHO (I flew them last year BKK - NRT and they were really uncomfortable)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.