Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct AA angle flat or connecting BA flat seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I am planning a honeymoon that starts with a round trip business class flight from Miami to Barcelona. I am paying with cash and this is my first time on business class, so I want to get a pretty good value. The departure will be overnight and the return will be during the day. The first option is a british airways flight on 747-400 with lie flat seats that connects though Heathrow and is about $150 cheaper. The second option is an american 777-200 V1 with angle flat seats that is a direct flight from MIA to BCN. The dates and times work out a little better as well. What is the difference for sleeping and food?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is there no way you can get IB on this route or on MIA MAD BCN at least? That is a much nicer business class product than both the options you are considering.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond

Having flown on both, I would recommend British airways. Uppercase on the BA 747 service is a great place to be.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Is there no way you can get IB on this route or on MIA MAD BCN at least? That is a much nicer business class product than both the options you are considering.
Yes, I can but it seems like it would be $570 more than BA and $435 more than AA. Is it that much better?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by apere006
Yes, I can but it seems like it would be $570 more than BA and $435 more than AA. Is it that much better?
I just checked and it's an A330 operates that route. If it has new business class then you can get the two middle seats next to each other. Very private and would be lovely for a honeymoon probably. I don't think you'd find many people argue that the BA Club World seat or AA angled seat is better

Food on IB is good, I have never flown MIA MAD on IB but flights out of MAD have excellent and very Spanish catering. Lovely selection of Spanish wines and Sherry onboard and best IFE of the three too.

Whether it is worth an extra $570 over BA I am not sure, that'd be for you to decide.

Are you familiar with the AARP discount? http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ember-benefits

I don't know if it would be possible to ticket IB or AA via BA and apply that discount
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:28 am

I would go for direct. I hate connecting at LHR
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
I would not mind T5 to T5 but MIA flights are currently operating to T3 whereas Barcelona flights are from T5. So aside from being a connection, it would be a sucky one

Same would go for IB I presume. MIA is non-Schengen so to T4S and BCN would be from T4. That is also a horrible connection
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:48 am

don't forget that you cannot select seats on ba until checking, unless you have status
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:32 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Even if they're the older seats (and depending on when this trip occurs, you might get an updated 772) I'd go with the AA flights. It's a personal taste thing - I don't mind the angled seats all that much, you can pick seats at booking, IMO the food is better, and you don't have to go through the Heathrow scrum.

If you're going to be flying much in the coming year, consider applying for AA's Platinum Challenge, which would have you both at Platinum when you returned, good for decent perks in the year (or more) ahead.

And congratulations!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

I just checked and it's an A330 operates that route. If it has new business class then you can get the two middle seats next to each other. Very private and would be lovely for a honeymoon probably. I don't think you'd find many people argue that the BA Club World seat or AA angled seat is better

Food on IB is good, I have never flown MIA MAD on IB but flights out of MAD have excellent and very Spanish catering. Lovely selection of Spanish wines and Sherry onboard and best IFE of the three too.

Whether it is worth an extra $570 over BA I am not sure, that'd be for you to decide.

Are you familiar with the AARP discount? http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ember-benefits

I don't know if it would be possible to ticket IB or AA via BA and apply that discount

Yes, I am aware. All price differences is using the aarp discount .
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Nonstop on AA.

Heathrow should be avoided at all costs. No part of the BA experience is worth adding 5 hours to your trip. Get to Barcelona and start enjoying your honeymoon.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justforfun
Nonstop on AA.

Heathrow should be avoided at all costs. No part of the BA experience is worth adding 5 hours to your trip. Get to Barcelona and start enjoying your honeymoon.
Ok thanks. It actually only adds 2-3 hours.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

Go direct. The hassle of connecting and the chance, albeit small, of a misconnect, is not worth it on your honeymoon. AA food, service and seats are nothing to write about compared to BA or IB, but a significant improvement if most of your flying is domestic coach.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
+1 I just flew on those AA angled C seats - they aren't that bad at all. I got 6+ hours of sleep heading to PEK w/o sleep aid.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
I would not mind T5 to T5 but MIA flights are currently operating to T3 whereas Barcelona flights are from T5. So aside from being a connection, it would be a sucky one

Same would go for IB I presume. MIA is non-Schengen so to T4S and BCN would be from T4. That is also a horrible connection
BA's BCN flights operate to and from LHR T3, and have done for some months now, which makes for a much better connection in this situation.

Whilst I appreciate everyone's individual experience may differ, for what it's worth I've always found connecting between MAD T4 and T4S a breeze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.