Wiki Posts
Search

MH Stops Thru-Tagging Bags to Seperate OW TKTs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National

Just got a news update from TPEMH that says MH will no longer thru-tag bags to subsequent segments even if they are on OW carrier if they are on a seperate ticket. Apparently MH had already stopped doing this if they are on non-OW carrier.

Here is the original text in Chinese:
自2015年7月10起, 旅客行程若需經轉機至目的地, 但持有分別開立之機票 (非單張機票),

起迄航段銜接皆搭乘馬航班機 (含MASWings), 乘客check-in手續及行李託運 可直掛目的地 (當日轉機)。

起迄航段為馬航銜接他航/寰宇一家聯盟或聯營航班, 乘客check-in手續及行李託運 須依航段個別辦理。 (原規定乘客銜接寰宇一家聯盟班機可將行李直掛目的地, 則不再適用)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

That's a pity and a continuation of the downward trend of cutting back on alliance benefits.

Given the similarities in BA/QF/AA's published policies (& what UL & LA had confirmed to me over email), I do believe that there is (was?) an alliance wide policy.

Guess we'll know soon enough if this is oneworld cutting back on minimum service level requirements, or, an error on MH's part while implementing a plethora of decisions as a part of their restructuring.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 6:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
For what it's worth, TAM is even worse:

For a start, in case of separate tickets, they categorically refuse to through-check luggage to any carriers - OneWorld or not - obliging collection & re-check at the connecting airport. Not long ago, my inbound (revenue) flight to GRU was delayed, and because I had to collect my bags, I just missed the check-in deadline for my onward (award) flight with Iberia. Very inconvenient.

What is worse, they dont even allow for through-check on their own flights! I recently wanted to book an award from Sao Paulo to Miami, but was only able to find transcontinental space on TAM for GIG-MIA. To reach Rio, I was going to book a revenue flight (also with TAM) from Sao Paulo but based on my past experience, I checked with TAM first. Turns out, they wouldnt even accept to through-check me GRU-GIG-MIA on their own flights. And since I would have had to collect my bags, the connection would have been too tight. Needlessly unhelpful, all around.

Really do wish that OneWorld would publish their policy on this. For all the talk of seamless travel, such a gesture would do much to keep passengers (and their bags) from falling through cracks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:15 am

To confirm, MH will not thru-tag bags to BA if on seperate tickets. Checkin staff were v. apologetic, had 2 supervisor called over but said they couldn't do it. Came into force 10th July, doesn't matter if you bought the tickets before this.

Ps. BA will thru-check bags and print boarding card traveling the other way.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:58 pm

QR doesn't check through onto CX. But CX check through onto QR.

UL doesn't check through onto QR as well.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Apologies for bumping an old thread.

Came across this on the MH website

http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/plan/check-in/counter.html

Someone complained effectively enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.