Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage or Avios?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
AAdvantage or Avios?

My wife and I have an upcoming trip to Paris in Business we booked through BA to take advantage of the AARP discount. Our routing is:

FAT-DFW-CDG
CDG-LHR-LAX-FAT

All of the flights are booked as BA code shares but are on AA metal, with the exception of CDG-LHR.

Anyone have any advice on which program to credit these flights to? For background, we have never flown BA but do use Avios to book west coast flights on Alaska and don't fly regularly on AA. Have been United premiers for 10+ years but would be up for a switch. Any chance we'd come within striking distance of elite status with either program with this trip? Just not familiar enough to know, and have noticed several business class incentives recently. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html
Freq flyer programs and miles/avios are for the long term
A small quantity of miles/avios in a ffp will probably be on no use and/or expire
Old May 27, 2015, 9:42 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Tonys1234
Any chance we'd come within striking distance of elite status with either program with this trip?
You could do AA's Platinum Challenge and come away with AA Plat/Oneworld Sapphire - 100% bonus miles, many other perks. Of course to maintain it you'd have to fly 50K EQM/P on eligible carriers (which includes AS) in the next calendar year.

Read about it here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old May 27, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: skyteam
Register for Special One World promotion on AA or BA to get 20000 avios or miles
For trans Atlantic flights
Old May 27, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: skyteam
If ticket is booked by BA than you got to register with BA
Old May 28, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by azimax
If ticket is booked by BA than you got to register with BA
Would it be possible to sign on for the AA Platinum challenge and receive the oneworld transAtlantic bonus if I booked with BA? That sounds like the ideal for me.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
You could do AA's Platinum Challenge ...snip... Of course to maintain it you'd have to fly 50K EQM/P on eligible carriers (which includes AS) in the next calendar year.
And make sure to fly 4 paid segments on AA/US during the year. (there's some uncertainty about what AA counts as an allowable segment for this requirement, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2014-a-15.html

Although the 4-segment rule is not new, until 2014 it was never enforced, thus comes as a surprise to some.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Tonys1234
Would it be possible to sign on for the AA Platinum challenge and receive the oneworld transAtlantic bonus if I booked with BA? That sounds like the ideal for me.
I don't know why not - they're different things entirely. Of course you need to credit your BA flights (if any) to your AAdvantage account, but buying the ticket through BA shouldn't make any difference.

The way the Plat challenge works, you get a 100% mileage bonus on the flight during which you exceed a cumulative total of 10,000 elite qualifying points, and on all successive eligible flights. With your FAT-DFW-CDG-LHR-LAX-FAT itinerary, that milestone would be reached during the LHR-LAX flight, so including cabin bonus miles (50% for first class, 25% for business class) AND the 2015 special bonuses for non-elites which again is different from the special transatlantic bonus, you would probably end up with something like 50K miles in the bank per person by the end of the trip counting the Plat, TATL, class of service, and "special" bonuses. Enough for a FC round trip in the US, or a one way business award to Europe or Asia. Not too shabby.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
The way the Plat challenge works, you get a 100% mileage bonus on the flight during which you exceed a cumulative total of 10,000 elite qualifying points, and on all successive eligible flights. With your FAT-DFW-CDG-LHR-LAX-FAT itinerary, that milestone would be reached during the LHR-LAX flight, so including cabin bonus miles (50% for first class, 25% for business class) AND the 2015 special bonuses for non-elites which again is different from the special transatlantic bonus, you would probably end up with something like 50K miles in the bank per person by the end of the trip counting the Plat, TATL, class of service, and "special" bonuses. Enough for a FC round trip in the US, or a one way business award to Europe or Asia. Not too shabby.
Awesome! ^ ^ Thanks everybody for the advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.