Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Can my asiamiles points be moved to AA advantage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

I usually travel through CX to Hong Kong, so I've racked up many points on my asiamiles account. However, I've moved to a city that has a direct flight to HK via AA, so most likely, we will be using AA a majority of the time, and very little on CX.

I understand that CX and AA are part of the 'one world' thing, but I don't quite understand what that means for us.

A few questions I have:
1. I recently purchased a travel ticket on AA, and I inputted my asiamiles account in my purchase. In this case, does this mean that the miles will be credited to the asiamiles account? If so, is it possible to transfer these miles to an AA advantage account. I have not flown yet.

2. For completed flights and asiamiles, can these be moved over to AA advantage?

3. Again, I'm not too clear what it means when they say that they are partners, but if I fly AA in the future, can I redeem my asiamiles for the flight (and vice versa. if I fly CX, an I use AA advantage miles)?

4. So since I will be flying AA way more then CX, is it best to start using AA advantage and not use asiamiles? Are there any advantage of applying miles to one account vs the other?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Depending on the particular fare basis of the fare you are purchasing, you might be able to earn AA miles on a CX, and CX miles on an AA flight. Check each airlines website for qualifying fares for mileage accrual.

You can change the frequent-flyer account number in your reservation record up until flight departure.

Once miles are earned in one program, there is no direct way of transferring them to the other. (There might be indirect ways via hotel frequent-guest programs, but these typical result in a significant reduction in the number of miles that ultimately end up in the other airline's FFP.)

AA miles can be redeemed on multiple partners, including CX. CX miles can be redeemed on multiple partners, including AA. Each program has its own redemption rates, rules, and fees. AA's program is considered to be pretty good for partner redemptions, especially since there are no surcharges unless you redeem on BA or IB.

You might also look at AS' program, to see how it compares to AA's and CX's. Both AA and CX partner with AS.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...

and just to clarify, what is "AS"? lol
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AS = Alaska
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Presumably you've moved to Dallas. Importantly, if you are crediting your miles to AAdvantage and flying on an AA flight number (regardless of whether or not the flight is operated by AA), you will get at least one AAdvantage mile for every mile you fly. This is not the same with the CX program, where your miles are likely to be discounted, possibly substantially, unless you fly in the Business or First Class cabins.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Presumably you've moved to Dallas. Importantly, if you are crediting your miles to AAdvantage and flying on an AA flight number (regardless of whether or not the flight is operated by AA), you will get at least one AAdvantage mile for every mile you fly. This is not the same with the CX program, where your miles are likely to be discounted, possibly substantially, unless you fly in the Business or First Class cabins.
Uh...just to clarify, CX's programme gives at least 100% miles for AA FLTs on all revenue booking except class O and, for transatlantic FLTs, class Q as well.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Semidevil
I usually travel through CX to Hong Kong, so I've racked up many points on my asiamiles account. However, I've moved to a city that has a direct flight to HK via AA, so most likely, we will be using AA a majority of the time, and very little on CX.

I understand that CX and AA are part of the 'one world' thing, but I don't quite understand what that means for us.

A few questions I have:
1. I recently purchased a travel ticket on AA, and I inputted my asiamiles account in my purchase. In this case, does this mean that the miles will be credited to the asiamiles account? If so, is it possible to transfer these miles to an AA advantage account. I have not flown yet.
For this (and future tickets), change your Frequent Flyer programme to AAdvantage. If you input your Asia Miles number on it, then your miles will go to Asia Miles.
2. For completed flights and asiamiles, can these be moved over to AA advantage?
No you can't. You can however, use Asia Miles to redeem with AA should you so wish. You need to call Asia Miles and not AA should you wish to do this.
3. Again, I'm not too clear what it means when they say that they are partners, but if I fly AA in the future, can I redeem my asiamiles for the flight (and vice versa. if I fly CX, an I use AA advantage miles)?
Redeem means to get a free ticket.
If you fly AA in the future, you may credit your miles to AAdvantage.
If you want to redeem an award ticket, you have to call either AAdvantage or Asia Miles on any of that airlines' partner airlines.
4. So since I will be flying AA way more then CX, is it best to start using AA advantage and not use asiamiles? Are there any advantage of applying miles to one account vs the other?
Yes. AA miles generally does not expire as long as you have some activity on the account. You also get 100% miles on most oneworld partners. But when flying on CX, you must buy the higher fare classes of H, B and Y to earn miles on AAdvantage. The cheaper fare classes like V, L, K and M you earn zero miles whereas you get 100% miles when credited on Asia Miles. You have to read the rules on each frequent flyer programme.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Based on what you described, the only reason I can think of to start earning on AA's program is because you're not an elite yet, but you will fly enough to earn status through AA's fast-track challenges.

Are you a CX elite (OW sapphire or emerald)? If so, keep that for US lounge access anytime you fly AA.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Uh...just to clarify, CX's programme gives at least 100% miles for AA FLTs on all revenue booking except class O and, for transatlantic FLTs, class Q as well.
And almost all CX discount economy flights don't credit to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.