Search

US West Coast to Asia: JL F or OZ F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY

Hi all,

I'm keen on trying OZ's 388 F LAX-ICN next year but a mate of mine suggested I take a look at SFO-HND on JL F.

I would either stay a night in Seoul or a night in Tokyo before making my way back home to Aus.

Weighing up the food/seat/IFE and overall experience, from those who have tried both airlines (I've tried neither) which one is better ?

If it's a very close call could also consider Seoul V Tokyo as in which city is better for a one night stopover.

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2014, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Ooops I just realise that I have posted this in perhaps the wrong section please feel free to move Mods if necessary thanks
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:07 am

SFO-HND doesn't have F. It's 2-class 787 i believe. LAX-NRT has F.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djibouti
Ok LAX-NRT then.
Would you rather fly that or OZ 388 F LAX-ICN ?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:50 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
By December, it will have F:

Tokyo (Haneda) = San Francisco
The flight arrival time at Tokyo (Haneda) will be changed to early morning instead of evening.
Therefore, new same-day connections to all JAL domestic routes from Tokyo (Haneda) will be realized. It will also be possible for customers to connect at Haneda to cities throughout Asia (*4).
Additionally, the airline has decided to introduce its fully revamped aircraft, the JAL SKY SUITE 777(SS7), onto the San Francisco=Haneda route to ensure an even more comfortable in-flight experience with improved space.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:54 am
Original Poster

I'm very interested in how the food options compare with the two especially considering I have a very western palate. From what I can see so far from my Googling, OZ has more Western options whereas the JL menu seems very Japanese.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
By December, it will have F:

Tokyo (Haneda) = San Francisco
The flight arrival time at Tokyo (Haneda) will be changed to early morning instead of evening.
Therefore, new same-day connections to all JAL domestic routes from Tokyo (Haneda) will be realized. It will also be possible for customers to connect at Haneda to cities throughout Asia (*4).
Additionally, the airline has decided to introduce its fully revamped aircraft, the JAL SKY SUITE 777(SS7), onto the San Francisco=Haneda route to ensure an even more comfortable in-flight experience with improved space.
Well shoot I better update my award!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:06 am

Thanks for the heads up! Grabbed F and improved routing to boot!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
OZ F any day.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
OZ F any day.
Skytrax will tell you that's not the case based on its F ranking. Not that I buy their rating/ranking craps (e.g. no way CX F/J catering should be on the top 5) but that's a data point.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...014/fclass.htm
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:58 am

JL Food

Originally Posted by Nizar
I'm very interested in how the food options compare with the two especially considering I have a very western palate. From what I can see so far from my Googling, OZ has more Western options whereas the JL menu seems very Japanese.
I have a very Western palate too. And I detest mushrooms. I'm not that familiar with OZ, but many Asian carriers have mushrooms in many dishes. For example, JL food presentation is gorgeous; the portions relatively small. I find the snacks on long flights unappealing (rice cakes, noodles, ice cream). So, if I'm flying NRT-SYD, I have a preference for QF vs. JL just because of the food choices. CX is a happy middle ground.
Not sure if this is helpful.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by JALPak
Skytrax will tell you that's not the case based on its F ranking. Not that I buy their rating/ranking craps (e.g. no way CX F/J catering should be on the top 5) but that's a data point.
Yeah, I guess Skytrax and I will have to disagree on this one. I'll take OZ F any day over JL. But I'd also take NH F over OZ in a minute!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.