Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

RTW Itin - advice on anything to do (or not do) along the way....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2013, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PLT,-EXEC 2.7MM + UA-Former1k

Hi,

I'm actually finishing an RTW DONE4 booked this time last year, then continuing onward using a combination of AAdvantage OneWorld awards and the last leg(s) on standard AA economy/domestic - all confirmed in business class and ticketed last week.

In summary, I'm going through these airports over the course of 13 days and looking for any advice about the airports, the lounges, etc:

BOS -> JFK -> LHR -> CAI -> AMM -> BKK -> KUL -> PER -> SYD -> NRT -> HDA -> SFO -> LAX -> BOS

I've been to every airport above except Haneda, which I'm looking forward to as I've heard good things about it on FT. I should have enough time to get from NRT to HDA and as you can see, 8/22 will be a *very* long day.

The complete itinerary is below - apologies if the formatting doesn't hold up...will repost if it's illegible.

Things I'm looking for advice on - the flights and the airlines themselves for these routes. Then the "gotchas" - for example, last year I learned that I needed an entry Visa for Egypt/Cairo - which I was able to pay on arrival. This year I'll plan to get it done ahead of time.

Last year I thought I would be able to stay overnight in the CAI lounge - this year I've booked a room at the Meridien near the pyramids and hope to get some more time to see them before leaving that evening.

I've also booked a room in Kuala Lumpur in the SPG nearest KUL ($65/night!), but it's a much shorter layover and just wondering if there's anything that can be done of interest in that short window of time. Was there for a day a long time ago, didn't do much but give a presentation and marvel at the airport architecture.

I know LHR like the back of my hand, am transiting pretty much everywhere but Perth which I'll be staying in for four days and know the ins and outs of Australian immigration/customs (will get that Visa sorted up front as well).

Excluding last year's DONE4 price of $6200 (purchased from Gala travel in Canada :^) - the above itin is about $75 out of pocket. It's a long story as to the how, msg me direct if you want the details but is generally not repeatable, lots of special cases and "favors" owed in wrangling this one through AA RTW and Aadvantage/OneWorld ticketing.

Hotels and lodging are already covered for where I'm staying more than a one night layover - either w/ friends or on business to be expensed. Meals will mostly be on the plane or also expensed....

Some stats:

Total air miles: 28,728
Total AA EQM: 8754
Total miles on awards: 19,966 (surrendered 120K AA miles for this)
Upgraded JFK->LHR to 1st using AA Systemwide on DONE4
Upgraded SFO->LAX-BOX on another AA Systemwide

Thoughts, comments, advice much appreciated......see you up there somewhere... :-)

-Bartonio

fwiw - I saw the recent post on the "review my OW/RTW itin - definitely would like to see some sticky threads on these going fwd...

Day - Month Depart: Arrive: Flight:
------------------ --------------------- ---------- -----------
Sat, July 13 BOS, 02:40 PM JFK, 4:05 PM AA-1851

Sat, July 13 JFK, 07:30 PM LHR, 7:45 AM AA-106

Sat, July 13 LHR, 05:40 PM

Sun, July 14 CAI, 11:30 PM BA-155

Mon, July 15 CAI, 08:00 PM AMM, 10:15 PM RJ-506

Tue, July 16 AMM, 02:10 AM BKK, 03:15 PM RJ-182

Tue, July 16 BKK, 05:05 PM KUL, 08:15 PM MH-783

Wed, July 17 KUL, 09:30 AM PER, 03:00 PM MH-125

Mon, July 22 PER, 12:05 AM SYD, 06:10 AM QF-568

Mon, July 22 SYD, 08:15 AM NRT, 05:05 PM JL-772

Tue, July 23 HND, 12:05 AM SFO, (July 22, 5:45 PM) JL-2 (cross Intl. Date Line)

Mon, July 22 SFO, 07:55 PM LAX, 9:35 PM AA-1740

Thu, July 25 LAX, 09:45 PM

Fri, July 26 BOS, 06:05 AM AA-192
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Around the world in 13 days sounds more like a painful mileage run (or movie title?) than anything fun.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Around the world in 13 days sounds more like a painful mileage run (or movie title?) than anything fun.
I rather like it.. hope you had fun! Looking forward to your trip report!

-AD
Old Aug 27, 2014, 10:26 am

"Horses for courses" as they'd say in BA-land. For anyone in a similar rush but wishing for an occasional hotel bed, between9and5.com books day rooms at participating hotels, usually at or very near airports. And there's a Yotel at LHR that might be useful for some. Purpose-built small cubes but even my claustrophobic wife was happy enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.