Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

OW airlines participating in HKG e-channel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OW airlines participating in HKG e-channel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by nightkhan
Has anyone tried enrolling with a flight that arrives before 7am? My CX flight lands at 6am, and the first office doesn't open until 7:30am. Do you think my luggage will be fine for an hour + if I wait before immigration until around 7:30 when the office opens?
You could pick up you luggage and then go back to the office thru the sliding doors. Looks like nobody minds when you explain why you want to go back.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Anyone can join the HKIA Frequent Traveller card. You just fill up a form and site your passport that you have travelled to HK at least 3 times in the past year. Once you get the card ( it will be sent to you) , you access a special line for entry into HK. Upon first entry with the card, you can get e-Channel automatically. You apply for it there and then.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Anyone can join the HKIA Frequent Traveller card. You just fill up a form and site your passport that you have travelled to HK at least 3 times in the past year. Once you get the card ( it will be sent to you) , you access a special line for entry into HK. Upon first entry with the card, you can get e-Channel automatically. You apply for it there and then.
But that is just for people who have entered HK three times within the past year -- as I recall when I was eligible and had the card, I had to send a scan of my passport to prove it. In contrast, the e-channel does not require x visits per year, so someone who goes to HK once or twice every year can benefit.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Bumping an old thread - does anyone know if AA FF's are now eligible to apply for the e-channel program (via FF status, not frequent visits) since AA now does direct flights to HKG via DFW?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980
[email protected] for any queries Most Frequent Flyer Card holders are eligible
http://www.gov.hk/en/nonresidents/vi...channel/fv.htm
https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...annel-fvc.html
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/12/09/h...liers-qualify/
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlin011
Bumping an old thread - does anyone know if AA FF's are now eligible to apply for the e-channel program (via FF status, not frequent visits) since AA now does direct flights to HKG via DFW?
I do not believe AA has yet joined the HKIA e-channel program. I do not know if they are even considering it. Contacting AA and asking them to join might help bring it to their attention.

I wouldn't say that "Most Frequent Flyer Card holders are eligible" because for a number of airlines (such as AA), no members are eligible, while for most others, only higher status members are eligible. For example, the blogger link (third link) says "Swiss: all Miles & More members" yet when I presented a Swiss Miles & More card, the enrollment officer compared it to the photos in the book and rejected it, I suppose it wasn't the right status level.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by nightkhan
Has anyone tried enrolling with a flight that arrives before 7am? My CX flight lands at 6am, and the first office doesn't open until 7:30am. Do you think my luggage will be fine for an hour + if I wait before immigration until around 7:30 when the office opens?
You can enroll by email. They post you the frequent visitor card.

Eventually when you end up in HKIA when the office is open, you can also get e-channel.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA-ExPlt, Hilton-Gold, IHG-Gold,National-Exec
If you really want the HKIA E Channel access, just pay the $50 to sign up for CX Marco Polo program. All status levels of their program are eligible for enrollment in E Channel.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
FYI, Now that AA flies to HKG, Thought I try to apply and sure enough, I was ultimately successful with getting e-channel yesterday with my AA EXP card

Fobbyflyer
Old Feb 24, 2015, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
FYI, Now that AA flies to HKG, Thought I try to apply and sure enough, I was ultimately successful with getting e-channel yesterday with my AA EXP card
Glad to hear it! You say you were "ultimately successful." Does this mean that at first they refused to accept the AA EXP card? What changed their mind?

(I am guessing that the agent enrolled you by mistake because as far as I know, AA does not actually participate. But I would be very happy to be wrong.)
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by anabolism
as far as I know, AA does not actually participate
Has anyone found out / figured out what exactly it means to have an airline "participate" in this scheme? Unlike TSA Pre-Check, HK e-channel doesn't appear to be integrated into your airline ff profile, require you to fly on the airline that qualified you to join, or otherwise be related in any way with your airline itinerary.

So why do some airlines "participate" and others don't? Why do some require an elite level, but others participate at the base membership level? Why does Hong Kong Immigration care anything about your airline's participation in the above, given that doesn't appear to be tied to your airline, and in fact may never actually be used for air travel (e.g. once enrolled, e-channel also works at land and sea borders)?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I would suggest the elites of airlines based nearer to HKG would be more likely to be regular visitors.

Having posted that, if you do visit HKG three times in a 12 month period you become eligible for e-channel registration on your third entry.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/p...r-channel.html

http://www.gov.hk/en/nonresidents/vi...channel/fv.htm
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
Glad to hear it! You say you were "ultimately successful." Does this mean that at first they refused to accept the AA EXP card? What changed their mind?

(I am guessing that the agent enrolled you by mistake because as far as I know, AA does not actually participate. But I would be very happy to be wrong.)
I say ultimately because it took me about an hour to get it(most others were done in 5 minutes after being called)..the primary reason I wanted it was because every time i visit hkg, my name gets flagged in their system for having too common of a name and immigration holds me for about 30 minutes before clearing me..
So at first, I waited on line with 5 persons in front of me, 20 min there, then when it was my turn.. I presented my aa card and passport and he was ready to sign me up and be in and out in five min as others were.. But sure enough, I got flagged again (despite being already cleared at immigration) so I had to sit around for another 30 min of paper work ..
My impression was that they may have approved others with aa elite cards prior, but not frequently, as the immigration agent filled out my paperwork, he asked a fellow agent what aa's two character airline code was and wrote it on my application.. They also went on talking with each other further about my card but didn't understand Cantonese, so all I heard from that convo was "executive platinum" and then I signed a form and was on my way.
My backup plan was the 3 visit in 12 months qualification..

Long story short, you may be right about the agent mistakenly approving me.. So I suppose we can sum this up as YMMV?
Bottom line , I'm happy and was able to test out and validate the echannel lane at immigration prior airside clearance, was a breeze.

Fobbyflyer
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:49 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I say ultimately because it took me about an hour to get it(most others were done in 5 minutes after being called)..the primary reason I wanted it was because every time i visit hkg, my name gets flagged in their system for having too common of a name and immigration holds me for about 30 minutes before clearing me..
So at first, I waited on line with 5 persons in front of me, 20 min there, then when it was my turn.. I presented my aa card and passport and he was ready to sign me up and be in and out in five min as others were.. But sure enough, I got flagged again (despite being already cleared at immigration) so I had to sit around for another 30 min of paper work ..
My impression was that they may have approved others with aa elite cards prior, but not frequently, as the immigration agent filled out my paperwork, he asked a fellow agent what aa's two character airline code was and wrote it on my application.. They also went on talking with each other further about my card but didn't understand Cantonese, so all I heard from that convo was "executive platinum" and then I signed a form and was on my way.

Long story short, you may be right about the agent mistakenly approving me.. So I suppose we can sum this up as YMMV?
Bottom line , I'm happy and was able to test out and validate the echannel lane at immigration prior airside clearance, was a breeze.

Fobbyflyer
Glad you got it. FYI, AA in HKG also stands for Airport Authority. hahaha

As for the previous responder as to why some airlines participate in the program and some don't. My guess is, it comes down to money.

You look at BKK. Why do some airlines participate in fast track and some don't?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
Has anyone found out / figured out what exactly it means to have an airline "participate" in this scheme? Unlike TSA Pre-Check, HK e-channel doesn't appear to be integrated into your airline ff profile, require you to fly on the airline that qualified you to join, or otherwise be related in any way with your airline itinerary.

So why do some airlines "participate" and others don't? Why do some require an elite level, but others participate at the base membership level? Why does Hong Kong Immigration care anything about your airline's participation in the above, given that doesn't appear to be tied to your airline, and in fact may never actually be used for air travel (e.g. once enrolled, e-channel also works at land and sea borders)?
My guess is that airlines "participate" by chipping in money, possibly in relation to how many of their eligible passengers use the e-channel. Hence, airlines that fly into HKG would be more likely to want to participate. This could also explain why with some airlines an elite level is required. When I perused the various lists that purport to show the participating airlines and required memberships, the cases where all members were eligible seemed to be ones that required either payment for membership (such as Marco Polo Club) or actual flying to obtain a real card (Miles & More). A friend of mine tried to enroll with an instant Miles & More card, the kind you get just for signing up, and the enrollment agent refused because the card didn't match those in their book.

That's my guess. The enrollment agents have a book with pictures of all eligible airline FF membership cards, which allows them to check if the program and elite level qualify, but not all agents check the book all the time, so there is some variance.

Last edited by anabolism; Feb 25, 2015 at 10:42 am Reason: delete erroneous line break

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.