Search

Which oneworld FFP to put AMEX MR to Match RTW

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Which oneworld FFP to put AMEX MR to Match RTW

I am in beginning stage of planning a RTW using either paid J or AA miles.

A colleague wants to match my itinerary using AMEX MR (approx 150k)

Suggestions for best way to do this. I was thinking transfer to BA with 50% bonus (but I know nothing of BA program) and just starting to understand RTW and OWE.

THANKS

Let me know if this is better answered in OW forum?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Assuming that you and your friend are both able to obtain J award seats on the itinerary, your friend can redeem BA Avios for the same award itinerary. However, your friend will pay BA's redemption rates (which will be higher than AA's), and will also have to pay fuel surcharges on all flights, except AA flights within the Americas, QF domestic flights, and LAN flights worldwide. Depending on the exact itinerary, your friend may have to pay significantly more in fees than you will, even though you'll be on the exact same flights.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:00 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Appreciate reply. Is there a better way instead of BA?

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Assuming that you and your friend are both able to obtain J award seats on the itinerary, your friend can redeem BA Avios for the same award itinerary. However, your friend will pay BA's redemption rates (which will be higher than AA's), and will also have to pay fuel surcharges on all flights, except AA flights within the Americas, QF domestic flights, and LAN flights worldwide. Depending on the exact itinerary, your friend may have to pay significantly more in fees than you will, even though you'll be on the exact same flights.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

You would have to investigate the FFP's of any other oneworld carrier which is a Membership Rewards transfer partner. But the 50% bonus currently offered on transfers to BA Avios should also be considered.

Another possibility is to convert MR points to Starwood points, and then convert the Starwood points to AAdvantage miles. Ordinarily, this is a poor choice, but there is (or was) a recent bonus offer on conversions from MR to SPG that might make such a double transfer a reasonable alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.