Wiki Posts
Search

Easiest FFP to obtain One World Emrald/Sapphire Status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Easiest FFP to obtain One World Emrald/Sapphire Status

Unlike *A, where some programs (specifically, TK and NH(?)) make it easier to attain *A silver/gold status than others (and the status lasts longer than other airlines); a cursory glance at OneWorld FFPs seems to indicate that there isn't one particular program in OneWorld where its considerably easy to attain OWS or OWE as compared to other airlines. (Not Including AA Challenges).

So, fellow FF's the question is this - Which if any is the easiest OneWorld FFP to obtain OWS / OWE on.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
imo.
OWS - AA - via dumping $2m bucks thru a credit card and getting Exec Life
- QF - via premium fares
- BA - via premium fares
OWE - QF - via premium fares - standout winner
Old Feb 23, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by moa999
OWS is right, and the fact that 2 million AA miles will get you there is also right, but the tier level is called Platinum at AA.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
There's also LANPASS.

Premium Silver (Saphire) can be had for 40,000 km (25,000 miles), including 4 medium-/long-haul flights in LAN J.

Comodoro (Emerald) requires 90,000 km (56,000 miles), including 6 medium-/long-haul flights in LAN J.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
If you live in Japan, I think JAL would be the best bet. The hardest part is to earn the first 50,000 FLY ON POINTS level, but once you reach it for the first time, you get an invitation to become a JGC member. After that, all you need is a JAL credit card and you're set for life as a OW Sapphire, so long as you continue to pay annual fees on that credit card.

Someone who knows about JMB might provide better info on this.

Last edited by kebosabi; Feb 23, 2011 at 12:26 pm
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:28 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by SQ421
Unlike *A, where some programs (specifically, TK and NH(?)) make it easier to attain *A silver/gold status than others (and the status lasts longer than other airlines); a cursory glance at OneWorld FFPs seems to indicate that there isn't one particular program in OneWorld where its considerably easy to attain OWS or OWE as compared to other airlines. (Not Including AA Challenges).

So, fellow FF's the question is this - Which if any is the easiest OneWorld FFP to obtain OWS / OWE on.
For *A the easiest program is A3, then the likes of TK, OZ and AC.

For OW and OWE, I think QF might be the easiest program if you fly paid business. 7 RTW tickets in business give lifetime OWS status on QF.

One thing to be aware of with oneworld is that many programs (BA, QF, not AA) enforce the 4 segment policy. In other words, you must fly 4 segments on a flight number of that carrier per year otherwise you will get no status at all. So you often can't do what you do in *A, getting status with an airline you never actually fly with. That might limit your choices.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:24 pm

Any updates on this? Since the merger between US/AA. Is it still tough to get status? Can I just buy status on any of the carriers?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 3:33 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Adshakil
Any updates on this? Since the merger between US/AA. Is it still tough to get status? Can I just buy status on any of the carriers?
Welcome to FT!

This is an old thread and much has changed. Your best bet is to look at the individual FFP boards to see if any offer options that would suit you.

US Airways formerly had a "buy up to status" offer but I believe it's on hold pending the merger. You can still challenge to status with AA, but it involves butt-in-seat flying.

You might want to consult the "information desk" board which has a lot of good information for new FT members.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
US Airways has ended their "buy up to preferred" program when they joined oneworld.

AA enforces a four-segment minimum rule now (they had this for a long time but it wasn't enforced up to earlier this year).

UL and RJ have comparably low limits for status qualification, but high own metal segment minimum thresholds:
with UL's Fly Smiles you'll qualify for Emerald after 60k 'tier miles', but half of that needs to be on UL.
RJ's program lets you qualify for top tier status after 55k miles, but requires a minimum of 12 (or even 20 - there's contradicting info in their T&Cs) segments on RJ metal.

LAN still has that shortcut to Emerald status if you fly with them in premium cabins, modified a bit since merging with TAM: Fly 80,000 kms with LAN, TAM or oneworld, with a minimum of 8 medium or long-haul legs with LAN or TAM in Business Class. As they define "medium-haul" as everything international over 1,600 kms in length, this could be useful for anyone flying around South America.
Otherwise, the program lets you qualify for Comodoro (OWE) after 150,000 kms the regular way - that's 93,225 miles and a bit less than the 100k miles most other programs require.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:10 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by moa999
imo.
- QF - via premium fares
- BA - via premium fares
OWE - QF - via premium fares - standout winner
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought AA discontinued the credit card miles being applied for lifetime status a couple years back.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by gemini573
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought AA discontinued the credit card miles being applied for lifetime status a couple years back.
Well, that message was written in 2011, so..
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:13 am

There is a whole article on this month's Business Traveller (UK) comparing the requirements for each airline to attain top status in the three alliance, worth a look.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Look at the AA challenge (Google it)....great way to get Sapphire VERY quickly...within one or two flights depending on where you are going....
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:37 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by SPBanker
Well, that message was written in 2011, so..
Opps...didn't see the date.

For those that want status the quickest way. Stick with the airline you plan on doing your flying with the most. Pointless to collect with BA if you doing most of your flying with LA. You will always get better options in earning miles with the airline you fly and bank the miles with the most.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:18 pm

The cheapest way I have found so far is 1 status credit / tier points = 2 USD for QF and BA, would costs about under 3000 USD to reach Emerald minimum required points (subject to min QF / BA flights needed for qualification)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.