Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH DMD, MR SL
Finding CX award seat availability on flights within Asia

What is the best way to find CX award availability on flights not based from the US? I am planning to use AA miles to book J from RIC>HKG then HKG>KRB and then KRB>RIC in Nov 2017. I can find JFK/ORD>HKG availability on BA's website, but I have been unsuccessful in finding availability for the HKG>KRB and KRB>HKG legs.

Also, I know that CX uses the same metal from both JFK and ORD, but is there any appreciable difference in the soft or hard products between the two or should I expect the same experience regardless of departing from JFK or ORD?

THX!!
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:15 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by ginterparkdj
What is the best way to find CX award availability on flights not based from the US? I am planning to use AA miles to book J from RIC>HKG then HKG>KRB and then KRB>RIC in Nov 2017. I can find JFK/ORD>HKG availability on BA's website, but I have been unsuccessful in finding availability for the HKG>KRB and KRB>HKG legs.

Also, I know that CX uses the same metal from both JFK and ORD, but is there any appreciable difference in the soft or hard products between the two or should I expect the same experience regardless of departing from JFK or ORD?

THX!!
Welcome to FT!

I think your best bet is to join AsiaMiles and use that site to look for space, then phone AA when you see something. AA is pretty good at booking seats you find this way, but not 100% in my experience.

I would expect the same experience on both ORD and JFK flights.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What airport is KRB?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lability.html]
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:00 pm

Krabi Thailand

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:45 pm

Krabi Thailand

Duplicate post removed

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 7, 2016 at 9:06 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What airport is KRB?
Krabi Thailand
In that case look for BKK and local transport to KBV or a regional airline from an Asian city. Paying cash for a regional/local flight may be the best option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabi_...tional_Airport
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:51 pm

I meant KBV originally, but that is what I have figured out I should do. Thanks!!!

In that case look for BKK and local transport to KBV or a regional airline from an Asian city. Paying cash for a regional/local flight may be the best option.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krabi_...tional_Airport
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Qatar Privilege Club
Hey guys, if I book two separate flights with two different one world airlines and I somehow miss the connection due to a delay what happens? I am thinking of booking a flight from KUL to RUH via CMB, KUL to CMB via MH and QR from CMB to RUH with a stopover in DOH offcourse and should I book this flight with 7 hours layover I am still worried what if the flight is cancelled? Then what?
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
With separate tickets you'll be on your own/at the mercy of QR if you miss your connection in CMB. You may want to consider purchasing a QR ticket that allows changes after no-showing, just in case.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:11 pm

Advice Needed - BOS to BAH visiting husband on deployment

Hi all,

I had gotten the chase sapphire reserve when i found out my husband would be in Bahrain for a year long deployment(active duty navy). My plan was to use the points to visit him later this year. Well plans changed and he wants me to visit in late Feb/early March. I haven't done all the research I wanted and I am new to this game.

I have 110,268 ultimate rewards points which i know can be transferred to BA, Flying Blue, or United. Given the limited amount of time I have, what's my best option to maximize my points? I know that an economy seat is ~$750 and business class is $3200 round trip and I can be flexible with my travel dates and times. Also, I saw that there are award booking services reviews on this site. Should I consider going through one of them?

Thank you in advance
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Lounge Access Question

Wednesday

QR Y JFK-DOH (T7)
QR Y DOH-CAI

Thursday
QR F DOH-BKK

Will I have lounge access at JFK T7 even though connecting flight in F isn't until the next day?

Thanks !
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:32 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by sriegert

Wednesday

QR Y JFK-DOH (T7)
QR Y DOH-CAI

Thursday
QR F DOH-BKK

Will I have lounge access at JFK T7 even though connecting flight in F isn't until the next day?

Thanks !
I believe it needs to be your next flight once you land at DOH and also needs to be within same day. Have to check the program rules.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by sriegert

Wednesday

QR Y JFK-DOH (T7)
QR Y DOH-CAI

Thursday
QR F DOH-BKK

Thanks !
No.

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
I'm planning to take a 6 month break from work with the wife to do some extensive travelling. We are based in the UK and are planning to leave at the start of August.

Our rough plan is to fly to S.America -> Australia -> South East Asia then back home.

Few question

- When's the best time to book a RTW ticket if we are leaving in August
- I've read you can save significant money by starting the trip somewhere else in Europe, where currently is the cheapest place to start?
- We've flow J and F a few times with BA and Cathay using Avios and would like to have some luxury on the trip. What's the average cost of a J or W RTW ticket in either class?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:23 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Furton
I'm planning to take a 6 month break from work with the wife to do some extensive travelling. We are based in the UK and are planning to leave at the start of August.

Our rough plan is to fly to S.America -> Australia -> South East Asia then back home.

Few question

- When's the best time to book a RTW ticket if we are leaving in August
- I've read you can save significant money by starting the trip somewhere else in Europe, where currently is the cheapest place to start?
- We've flow J and F a few times with BA and Cathay using Avios and would like to have some luxury on the trip. What's the average cost of a J or W RTW ticket in either class?
The tickets are good for a year from the first flight, so the "when" question has to do with how long in advance you're willing to commit to the trip. Six months starting in August would put you out to February of 2018, so while you could purchase the ticket today, and lock in today's prices, you'd probably have to do "dummy" bookings for the last few flights since the schedules for next February won't have been published yet.

Changing flight dates, as long as nothing else has changed (e.g. a change in route) is free and easy to do at a later date, so that factor in of itself isn't a deal-breaker IF you're sure you're going to travel Changes to the ticket itinerary after you've taken the first flight cost $US125 or Sterling equivalent, so even there it's not terrible.

Fares are very different depending on where you start and end, and the "bottom line" can also be quite different based on your choice of carriers, since the base published fares don't include taxes (country taxes, departure taxes, airport and security taxes etc.) or big airline-imposed fees and surcharges. Taxes and fees will typically add 15% - 25% to the overall cost; sometimes the difference in fees can negate the savings created by starting in one place or the other.

Your best and easiest way to see fares is to subscribe to a premium service like Expert Flyer - https://www.expertflyer.com - or find a friendly local travel agent with access to GDS fares. RTW and multi-continent fares aren't published by the airlines due to legal restrictions in various countries and the EU that advertised airfares must be inclusive of taxes and fees. Because each route is different and draws different fees, it's impossible for the airlines to anticipate what the total cost would be, so they just don't bother advertising the fares in the first place.

But to answer your question, for the moment (and currency fluctuations can change this overnight) the cheapest European country for Oneworld premium-cabin RTWs appears to be Norway. For example, a four-continent RTW like the one you're describing (Europe - S. America - SW Pacific - Asia - Europe) in business class would have a base price (before taxes/fees) of £5645. The same ticket started in Britain would cost £6200 and in the Euro zone £6180. Again, taxes and fees would be on top of this, and would vary according to your actual itinerary. (Starting in the Euro zone, the same ticket but in economy class would cost £2200 for comparison's sake.)

You asked about "W" class by which I assume you mean premium economy. Because not all Oneworld carriers offer PE, there's no separate RTW fare for premium economy; instead the individual fare products (Oneworld Explorer, Global Explorer, various "circle" products etc.) make PE an option within the economy RTW fare; you pay a set surcharge on a segment-by-segment basis. (You can see and download the rules with an Expert Flyer subscription BTW). In my experience doing some models, it doesn't take too many PE segments on top of a base economy fare before you shoot past the comparable business class base fare, making the upgrades pointless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.