Wiki Posts
Search

IB F vs FinnAir F vs BA J to Moscow

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-1MM
IB F vs FinnAir F vs BA J to Moscow

I want to take the Transiberian Express from Moscow, using AA miles to get a 1st class air to get to Moscow. Since AA does not fly to Moscow, I have to use a OW connection in Europe. I have a choice of Iberia F from Mad, Finnair F from HEL, or BA J from LHR. Any recommendations on which way to go? (I am drooling for S-7 coming into OW!!!)
Old May 19, 2010, 6:38 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by John Brock
I want to take the Transiberian Express from Moscow, using AA miles to get a 1st class air to get to Moscow. Since AA does not fly to Moscow, I have to use a OW connection in Europe. I have a choice of Iberia F from Mad, Finnair F from HEL, or BA J from LHR. Any recommendations on which way to go? (I am drooling for S-7 coming into OW!!!)
Neither IB nor AY has first class. Business is the best you're going to get. Both AY and IB use standard coach seats in J, with the middle seat blocked.

How would you get to MAD or HEL in F anyway? I don't think AA flies 3-cabin aircraft to MAD, and AA doesn't fly to HEL at all.

If it was me I'd go either AY JFK-HEL-SVO in J, or else AA LHR BA DME, and try for BA's 767 rather than the A320s. Service on IB in J is good, but the seats aren't the most comfortable. Ditto for shorthaul service on AY, but HEL-SVO is a lot shorter than MAD-DME.
Old May 19, 2010, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
AY longhaul J is pretty good. Seats are great (full flat seats on the JFK-HEL route) on the A330. The food is dire, but the wine list is good. FAs, IME, are quite good. It is a short connection in HEL and is around a 2 hour flight to Moscow. As an EXP, you can access the Flagship Lounge in JFK (AY uses the AA Terminal).
Old May 19, 2010, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PresRDC
AY longhaul J is pretty good. Seats are great (full flat seats on the JFK-HEL route) on the A330. The food is dire, but the wine list is good. FAs, IME, are quite good. It is a short connection in HEL and is around a 2 hour flight to Moscow. As an EXP, you can access the Flagship Lounge in JFK (AY uses the AA Terminal).
And a nice lounge in HEL, too.
Old May 19, 2010, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I don't think AA flies 3-cabin aircraft to MAD
DFW-MAD uses a 777 until some time in August.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
If it was me I'd go either AY JFK-HEL-SVO in J, or else AA LHR BA DME, and try for BA's 767 rather than the A320s.
It obviously depends where you're originating, but the connections in HEL are vastly easier/faster than either LHR or MAD. Keep in mind also that a return via LHR will require either taking the 5:50 am red-eye from DME or will probably require staying an additional night in London.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And a nice lounge in HEL, too.
It's okay, but I don't think it's particularly nice. Most of the drinks are paid (like an Admirals Club), with just a beer and a few low quality wines free of charge (these are dispensed through a machine, adding to low class feel). All the rest is paid (although they have gotten better and now offer some more FOC for OW Emeralds). The food on offer is poor. The buffet dinner in the evening for J pax on the BKK and HKG flights offers one main dish, one side and a piece of cheese. Dessert is some stale cookies. The design of the lounge itself is nice, to be fair.

Now there is a spa that is part of the lounge complex, but it is not FOC for most pax (including J pax) and all the services are at an extra fee).

Overall, I like Finnair and use it to get to Asia from JFK, but mostly because it undercuts AA, JL and CX by about $2000 (albeit with some long layovers on the outbound and a forced overnight on the return, except for HKG and BKK) and Finnair offers the 100% PLT and EXP bonus for AAdvantage elites.
Old May 21, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
It's okay, but I don't think it's particularly nice. Most of the drinks are paid (like an Admirals Club), with just a beer and a few low quality wines free of charge (these are dispensed through a machine, adding to low class feel). All the rest is paid (although they have gotten better and now offer some more FOC for OW Emeralds).
May I please check at AY HEL Lounge, what is FOC to OW Emerald that is not "low quality wines and beer"?
Old May 21, 2010, 1:59 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
It obviously depends where you're originating, but the connections in HEL are vastly easier/faster than either LHR or MAD. Keep in mind also that a return via LHR will require either taking the 5:50 am red-eye from DME or will probably require staying an additional night in London.
And an extra night in London, if not done properly (i.e. on the same booking, or properly quoted between bookings) can result in extra APD..

Dave
Old May 24, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rownada
May I please check at AY HEL Lounge, what is FOC to OW Emerald that is not "low quality wines and beer"?

AY = Finnair
HEL = Helsinki
FOC = Free of charge
OW Emerald = Oneworld Emerald (top tier)
Old May 25, 2010, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
AY = Finnair
HEL = Helsinki
FOC = Free of charge
OW Emerald = Oneworld Emerald (top tier)
LOL. Thanks but the question I meant was:

What is free to drink from the bar for Oneworld Emeralds at the Via Lounge, apart from the "low quality wines and beer"?

Does anyone have a list?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:51 am

Well, if you'll fly JFK-HEL-SVO- you'll have just 30min to change planes, which makes using of Via Lounge impossible. But if you'll stay for taking next AY flight, then I'd consider HEL instead of LHR or MAD. Because it offers beer not from bottle and it offers scandinavian related food. Neither LHR nor MAD do offer something what american person could call different than american food

As a rule- the shorter European segment of trip- the nicer you'll feel the trip.
Both IB and BA and AY services in flight are misery. IB offers one time one soft dring served with meal, and after that only one additional time possibility to drink tea. And that is for 5 hours long flight in coach

Unless you'll decide to go BA 763

Last edited by Tries; Jun 11, 2010 at 11:59 am
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:59 pm
Suspended

It's okay, but I don't think it's particularly nice. Most of the drinks are paid (like an Admirals Club), with just a beer and a few low quality wines free of charge (these are dispensed through a machine, adding to low class feel). All the rest is paid (although they have gotten better and now offer some more FOC for OW Emeralds). The food on offer is poor. The buffet dinner in the evening for J pax on the BKK and HKG flights offers one main dish, one side and a piece of cheese. Dessert is some stale cookies. The design of the lounge itself is nice, to be fair.

Now there is a spa that is part of the lounge complex, but it is not FOC for most pax (including J pax) and all the services are at an extra fee).

Overall, I like Finnair and use it to get to Asia from JFK, but mostly because it undercuts AA, JL and CX by about $2000 (albeit with some long layovers on the outbound and a forced overnight on the return, except for HKG and BKK) and Finnair offers the 100% PLT and EXP bonus for AAdvantage elites.
+1 Couldn't agree more about the much vaunted, yet mediocre AY long haul lounge in HEL.

Incidentally, PresRDC, does AY provide you with a hotel in HEL on your return journey, when there is a scheduled misconnect in HEL? I had (naively) assumed that they would since I was on a fully paid J ticket, but they refused flatly. So I am just curious to know about your experience.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FedUp2
+1 Couldn't agree more about the much vaunted, yet mediocre AY long haul lounge in HEL.

Incidentally, PresRDC, does AY provide you with a hotel in HEL on your return journey, when there is a scheduled misconnect in HEL? I had (naively) assumed that they would since I was on a fully paid J ticket, but they refused flatly. So I am just curious to know about your experience.
Nope. The HEL Hilton offers a 74 Euro day rate, though, but, typically, I go downtown to the Hotel Kamp.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 1:13 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Nope. The HEL Hilton offers a 74 Euro day rate, though, but, typically, I go downtown to the Hotel Kamp.
For an overnight, the Hilton at HEL is a superior airport hotel; one of the nicer ones I've used.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.