Search

BA Award on CX?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:30 pm
Original Poster
Fairmont Contributor Badge

BA Award on CX?

I don't know if this will even be possible, but, I am looking to fly:
One Way: SIN-HKG-YVR on CX. I saw availability in First on CX's site.

BA says Asia-Canada is 50k in econ.
If I am flying One Way, is that 25k x 3 for Business? So 75,000 for a flight in F?

(Also, as I am generally only a *A flyer, I am used to 3 bags as a Star Alliance Gold member, Does OW/CX have this benefit?)

Are BA Awards cancel-able?
What will the taxes be on this flight above?

Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Since these questions generally relate to BAEC award rules, I'll move this to the BA forum for expert assistance.

Kiwi Flyer
OW moderator
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I don't know if this will even be possible, but, I am looking to fly:
One Way: SIN-HKG-YVR on CX. I saw availability in First on CX's site.
I already responded to your post in the Chase card thread, but I'll do so again here. The cost is 25/50/75, assuming you keep everything on one airline (CX in this case, or JL if you don't mind skipping HKG).

HKG-YVR is likely to be your bottleneck, though seats do get released every now and then (i.e. inventory goes from zero to 5 to zero in the span of an hour).

Anyway, I suggest you focus on that segment. Once you find something that works, then bring SIN-HKG into the picture. If you're trying to do a legal connection (and there is availability), a SIN-YVR query should reveal the exact same flights.

However, if it doesn't and/or you want to stop over in HK, you'll need the help of the phone people to pull off the award.

IME, the US phone reps are more than willing to waive their "phone fee" in cases like this. However, my account now has a China address (because I needed to book a flight when the US office was closed); the HK call center gave me a fee waiver as a "one time exception"... and I can't change back to a US address for 6 months.

On a semi related note, if you book HK to anywhere on CX, you're entitled to a connecting flight from anywhere that CX or KA flies within the Asia region at no additional charge (in miles). This tidbit is particularly useful for flights to Asia because you can book a HKG-XXX segment that will be valid for one year. While it's necessary to front the extra taxes in advance, and change fees may be incurred, IMO an open HKG-XXX segment (in business class) is a pretty nice fruit (i.e. sure beats the Shenzhen shuffle).

With respect to change fees, I haven't ventured too deeply into those waters yet, but online changes seem to be free, and phone change fees aren't overly burdensome.

As a disclaimer, I knew nothing at all about Exec Club until 11-09, so I'm still in learning mode myself. That having been said, I've managed to swing the following redemptions during this brief period: LAX-HKG-CAN, JFK-NRT-PVG, and JFK-HKG-PVG... all in C (as much as I like F, I'll continue to use AA miles whenever I require that luxury).
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:56 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
With only 6 First Class seats a Day HKG-YUL on CX888, Grab It.

Last edited by UncleDude; Mar 16, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.