Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stopover suggestions for S. America & LAN vs. AA on BA award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2010, 12:40 pm

Programs: AC*G
Somehow IPC doesn't fancy me as much, except for the exotic sound.

No one seems to mention Ecuador and the Galapagos Island. Is this not part of what can be done for 80k? I realize I won't be able to go as far South any more, but would JFK - LIM - UIO - GYE - GPS - GYE - JFK work?
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Accidental_Flyer
Somehow IPC doesn't fancy me as much, except for the exotic sound.

No one seems to mention Ecuador and the Galapagos Island. Is this not part of what can be done for 80k? I realize I won't be able to go as far South any more, but would JFK - LIM - UIO - GYE - GPS - GYE - JFK work?
Yeah, that would work too. I considered that too. It's slightly lower value in the sense that rev. tickets to the Galapagos are much cheaper than to IPC (esp. from the E. Coast MIA/JFK). Though that might change because LA is adding a LIM-IPC flight.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC*G
Originally Posted by abcx
Yeah, that would work too. I considered that too. It's slightly lower value in the sense that rev. tickets to the Galapagos are much cheaper than to IPC (esp. from the E. Coast MIA/JFK). Though that might change because LA is adding a LIM-IPC flight.
Thanks for all the advise.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I realize that this thread hasn't been used for a bit and understand why I might not receive a response. Does anyone know whether it might be possible to use a one-way BA award on LAN to travel JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL with a stopover in IPC (and possibly in LIM as well)? There are obviously many direct LIM-SCL flights, so it isn't the most obvious routing. Still, it doesn't necessarily backtrack as much as it goes around. When the LIM-IPC route was introduced, the JFK-IPC fares were stupidly cheap, less than going JFK-SCL. I didn't avail myself to them but am hoping to make it to SCL via IPC on BA miles and then use AA miles to return home. Any thoughts? Huge thanks in advance for reading and, hopefully, responding.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:44 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL is ~8,300Mi JFK-SCL is ~5,100mi. Since your proposed route is more than 25% extra, I doubt that it will be allowed. The max trip that you can design for yourself while going JFK-SCL is under 6,400mi.

Last edited by Sagy; Nov 23, 2010 at 10:45 pm Reason: Corrected typo. Should be 25% not 15%
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver; Marriott Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Sagy
JFK-LIM-IPC-SCL is ~8,300Mi JFK-SCL is ~5,100mi. Since your proposed route is more than 15% extra, I doubt that it will be allowed. The max trip that you can design for yourself while going JFK-SCL is under 6,400mi.
Thank you for your counsel, Sagy. I had no idea about that angle and need to further investigate BA redemption rules. There goes my shot at avoiding a SCL visa fee (and flying one way in business class).
Old Nov 23, 2010, 10:52 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by abitlost
Thank you for your counsel, Sagy. I had no idea about that angle and need to further investigate BA redemption rules. There goes my shot at avoiding a SCL visa fee (and flying one way in business class).
To be clear:
  1. I had a typo in the original post , it should have said 25% not 15%.
  2. This is not a BA redemption rule restriction. It is MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage) restriction which applies to all fares (unless specific routing rules state otherwise)
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Thank you

Thanks to all the posters in this thread for help with my South America itinerary. I had originally wanted MIA-LIM-SCL-IPC-SCL-EZE-MIA last year when starting out. I had been unable to find award availability or figure out how to alter that routing to include USH for the Antarctica Quark departure. I ended up using 10K AA miles per person for AEP-USH. Bought rev tickets for USH-AEP because awards not available on the day we wanted (three ships arrived back in port on that day and we weren't waiting another day since we were rushing to return for Christmas).

By the time I had my BA miles post, I was unable to find EZE-MIA nonstop only EZE-LIM-MIA. Four different attempts with agents and all would not allow me to book IPC-SCL-EZE-LIM-MIA when IPC-SCL-LIM-MIA were showing available.

I ended up just splitting the itinerary into 3 one-way parts, booked in J, since we wanted to go to IGR as well.

Did MIA-LIM-SCL-IPC, then IPC-SCL-EZE/AEP-IGR, then IGR-AEP/EZE-LIM-LAX. We were able to get stopovers any where we wanted along the way. We did Machu Picchu back in 2009 so we didn't stopover in LIM but did at all the other cities.

In the end it wasn't too bad on award redemption cost as the AEP-IGR tickets back in December for the dates we wanted were around $380ai a person RT and the mile cost was 50K for 2 pax (1.5 cents a mile, 3 cents if we had gone with economy) and we still would have needed SCL-EZE/AEP RT or a SCL-IGR flight via EZE/AEP.

I went with LAN based on the comments and that was the right call. Thanks for the input. But interestingly enough, we started on journey on AA. The MIA-LIM flight was seriously delayed for LAN and they were worried we'd miss one of the LIM-SCL connections so against my protests, they rebooked us on the AA nonstop from MIA-SCL. Needless to stay, I'm so glad we didn't have to fly in AA's business class again on the trip. It was an angle seat, cramped quarters, etc. I found the LAN business cabin to be as good as several airline's first class cabin (including AA's 777 first cabin IMHO) for spacious feeling and seat comfort. The only negative is LAN's service, or lack thereof. All the FAs during our different segments would do the bare minimum for service levels. I didn't care since I didn't expect much based on our previous S.Am. trip and the seat/cabin is my main focus on long trips due to height (6'6"). I made sure to book flights on the 767-300ER (763) and really enjoyed the premium business cabin. I would say not only is the BA miles for getting to IPC with stopovers along the way a bargain, but only having to pay business level mileage redemption cost for a seat that compares to AA's first class product on similar routes is an additional bargain.

Thanks again for everyone's input. IPC and IGR were fabulous!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I'm very happy that it all worked out well for you. In addition to LAN's J seat comfort, I also very much like their IFE system --- the screens are large but far enough away to make for comfortable viewing.

I'm curious about your luggage experience during the lengthy delay from Miami. We recently flew LGA - MIA - LIM and the luggage transfer in Miami from AA to LA did not occur correctly, and our bags did not arrive until the next day. It wasn't a tight connection, and both flights were on time, so we're suspicious that bags routinely don't get handed off smoothly between the two "partners". I'm also curious whether all your airline miles have posted ---- our LAN miles posted timely, but the AA ones have been in limbo for over a month.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA1K, AA PP; Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Plat; National EE
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'm very happy that it all worked out well for you. In addition to LAN's J seat comfort, I also very much like their IFE system --- the screens are large but far enough away to make for comfortable viewing.

I'm curious about your luggage experience during the lengthy delay from Miami. We recently flew LGA - MIA - LIM and the luggage transfer in Miami from AA to LA did not occur correctly, and our bags did not arrive until the next day. It wasn't a tight connection, and both flights were on time, so we're suspicious that bags routinely don't get handed off smoothly between the two "partners". I'm also curious whether all your airline miles have posted ---- our LAN miles posted timely, but the AA ones have been in limbo for over a month.
^ as to the IFE. I thought the screen size and movie selection was great.
On the delay, we didn't check luggage with LAN because it all happened at check in. I've had issues with them on previous flights for sure. Since this trip was BA miles, we didn't mix partners (although LAN forced this "mix") and since they swapped our flights at check in, LAN never had the bags originally. For the paid flights, I had to request the mileage for AA since it never posted.

Good luck!
Old May 25, 2011, 6:46 pm

Hi-

I live in NYC, have been to Peru, Argentina (including EZE, IGU, USH) and Chile (SCL only). I have 100k BA miles and would like to do IPC, Galapagos, and Rio (GIG). Is there any way possible that I can do all 3, or at least 2 out of 3?

I have read all the threads, looks like IPC is possible, how do I combine it with GRU(if not GIG) and GYE (for galapagos)?
Old May 25, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bobby21
Hi-

I live in NYC, have been to Peru, Argentina (including EZE, IGU, USH) and Chile (SCL only). I have 100k BA miles and would like to do IPC, Galapagos, and Rio (GIG). Is there any way possible that I can do all 3, or at least 2 out of 3?

I have read all the threads, looks like IPC is possible, how do I combine it with GRU(if not GIG) and GYE (for galapagos)?
Assuming you really mean GYE, a one-way JFK - GYE - SCL - IPC trip would certainly be deemed a valid BAEC routing.

However, I don't think that the Galapagos airport (GPS) could ever deemed to be anything but a destination (i.e. cannot be deemed an "enroute" stopover to anywhere else).

On the way back from Easter Island, you might be able to talk a BAEC agent into IPC - SCL - GRU - LIM - JFK.

I would definitely book this as two one-ways (there's no advantage that I'm aware of in booking BAEC awards as roundtrips).
Old May 25, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I would definitely book this as two one-ways (there's no advantage that I'm aware of in booking BAEC awards as roundtrips).
Isn't the booking fee lower? Even if it is, I would still book as two one ways because you can change your return after having flown the outbound. There are horror stories on the BA board about how BA is completely inflexible in bending the rules.
Old May 26, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: PC Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, Club Carlson Gold
Dear Fellow FTers,

I realized that most Fters inquire about JFK,SFO and LAX. My question is, what is the best stopover award journey from Miami to say IPC or Galapagos and then take a one way award trip to Denver.
I have 130,000 miles (for 2 adults) and want see as many places as possible.
I fly economy and do not care about upgrades.

I am cognizant of the BAEC partner issues and wonder whether I should go with LAN from MIA and return with AA to Denver.
Any help will be immensely appreciated.

Thank you!
RM
Old May 26, 2011, 9:22 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
[Mod hat]

Just a gentle reminder that conversations specifically relating to one airline's FFP should be taken up in the relevant airline forum.

[/hat]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.